• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tagged out, holding out, or tag soup?

sticknstring

Well fellow archers, we're about 9 weekends through the season with about 6 remaining. Have you already punched your tags, still in pursuit, or I've had enough for the year and I'll eat my tags?

I've got the doe tag punched but like most years, still holding out for a buck. Still plenty of time though and after Thanksgiving in the snow is one of my favorites times to be in the woods. How about everyone else?

I thankfully got my buck early this year but still have a bonus tag buring a hole in my pocket. Ive been stuck out in pennsylvania for 6 weeks for work and they didnt give me a week off for the rifle season, the first deer hunting season ive missed in my life! I havent sat in the woods since I arrowed my buck so I have the itch to go out worse than you can imagine. Looking like I get to come home by early next week so Im gonna spend as much time out sitting as I can and hopefully fill up my doe tag. Hope there will be some snow on the ground by then or at least have most of the corn off!

tagged out and holding out. shot my best buck to date this year so that was exciting, and i still have a SD doe tag for up here at school so i have until the end of january to fill that. Im glad i have that doe tag to because i dont want to be done yet and i probably wont shoot a doe until christmas break. Late season is a fun time to hunt when the deer group up. the more time i spend in the stand the happier i am.

Pretty standar year, doe on the ground early. Passed numerous little bucks and a few 2.5 year old 8's and never saw what I would consider a shooter with the bow or rifle. Well I might have seen one rifle season but he didn't want to show himself.

I will be back out with the bow this weekend, then I heading out for muzzleloader season for the first time which I am pretty excited about. Then if I still have a tag you can bet I will be out with the bow again before January rolls around.

I've passed up 7 bucks in the past 3 weeks. Now im hoping to get a doe in the freezer. I have a new location on the outskirts of Rochester and i don't think i'll have to sit many times to accomplish this. Then i'll have to see how motivated i am. I am getting that "burned out" feeling. I've put a lot of time in this fall.

I am getting that "burned out" feeling. I've put a lot of time in this fall.

I hear ya james!! I was glad to shoot one last week cause i was also starting to get burnt out, plus it's getting time to start shooting indoor target and indoor league which means changing up the bow!!

Right now am looking at tag soup. I have had less then stellar luck this year. Passesd a fork a six and 2 eights with hopes of tagging a 10 I had been seeing. Got a shot at the 10 Halloween morning but the arrow hit a branch and deflected low. Most of the does I had coming in were bringing bucks along so I was holding off. Shot a doe Saturday morning but she began walking just when I released and I got a liver/paunch shot. Tracked her to last blood sign Saturday and couldn't find her and went back yesterday and spent 4 hours looking and came up empty. The good news is I was still seeing some doe activity as of Saturday so I may get a shot yet but it will have to be late season as I am in Wisc the next 2 weekends. I'm not happy about the lost deer. I hunted throughout the gun season with my bow so maybe late season.

Tunrevir~

Holding out just like every year, got my doe the second time out and waiting waiting waiting, I have had 5 close encounters with 4 mature bucks, twice within 30 yards but couldn't make it happen, passed up probably 12 1-2.5 year olds and like most years I havn't given up hope and am actually excited for muzzy and late archery, I just hope for really cold weather to hit, we have a unharvested soybean plot of about 3 acres that will get pounded when it gets cold and i am hoping at least one big boy comes into range filling his gut after a long hard rut!

Lets keep putting up good stories and putting down good bucks all the way till the end.

I will keep driving till the end... I eat tag soup about 3 out of every 4 years but to me it's worth it. I love bowhunting so much it takes the right deer to make me end my season early.... of course standards drop a bit near the end, but as long as I know there are a couple pigs running around, I remain confident.

Holding out in mn and sd. I have seen some nice 2.5 and 3.5's on multiple occasions and dont have it in me to shoot one yet. Trail cams indicate there are alot better in both states so hopefully by christmas I will have a bbd. Will fill my doe tag in january.

Big difference from last year to this year for me. Last year I had 3 by this time but like TrackerX-2, I've blanked thus far.

I feel like the season just started though. Hmmm.

Headed to SD in a couple days and hope to bring home enough to keep my wife happy. She's getting really anxious for vennie delight. grin

Good luck you guys!

I can still tag a doe in a lottery area. I hunted really hard the last two weeks, I was in the woods more often than not. It was great, but I also need to take a little break and do something else. I will maybe try and get back out a little later. The only thing I have put away is my gun. I guess that is telling me something.

i'm going to swallow my pride and take the first deer that comes in my shooting lane. Been holding out for mr. big all fall since this has been my best chance to harvest one in all the years i've been hunting but with work, ice fishing coming soon, and house chores that need a little more attention I think I just need to get it over with. Good thing is that I'm in a management area so I could still buck hunt later in December. Good luck to you all and hope I don't have to warm up some water for my tag!?

mr

I did tag a small buck. More from the fact that coaching youth hockey is taking a serious cut into my hunting time. My only major bummer is that the big buck that I had on my trail cam got shot on the opening morning of gun season. I'll probably post some pictures of that one later. I was told it will score in the 190's although from the pics I don't think it is quite that big.

I guess now I can concentrate on coaching the kids.

Wife and I both are enjoying tag soup as of today, I passed on several bucks early in the season and now I am starting to get a little nervous. We are still chasing them hard, even with ice fishing just around the corner I need to get one on the ground.

Feel fortunate if you live and hunt in a zone where you can shoot more than one deer!!! We were in a 'managed' zone for a few years so it was nice to be able to shoot that early doe and hold out for a buck later. Now with only one permit to fill it makes your choice tougher, when to end your season? In my case I hunted hard the two weeks before the gun season opened and the last day I shot a small buck. I'm happy with him, I wanted some venison in the freezer, he IS tasty, but I still would like to be out deer hunting.

Oh well, now the decision will be between pheasant hunting and early ice fishing!!