• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just Food and Drink

Man, I love braunschweiger. It's been a while.

Went over to fuji ya friday for dinner with the ladyfriend. Here's some Chilean Uni, Bigeye Tuna, and a nice black ale from Japan (asahi kuronama).

3A5BB4D9-8207-44A3-BA11-67190849A84E_zps

The uni was really interesting. Incredible flavor... really, really horrible texture.

Asahi Extra Dry is a great beer if you can find it in the states. It's a nice change of pace from the carbonated high fructose corn syrup we call beer here.

With all of the foods I've eaten in Asia, the only ones that really got to me were the ones with odd textures. For the most part, everything tastes really good, it's the texture that can turn you off in a second.

With all of the foods I've eaten in Asia, the only ones that really got to me were the ones with odd textures. For the most part, everything tastes really good, it's the texture that can turn you off in a second.

I agree completely. I think the "problem" I had with the uni was I kept thinking "what does this texture remind me of," instead of thinking "this is sea urchin. It's tasty." and left it at that smile It really was delicious. Just needed to take it in smaller bites or the texture would get to me.

We have a groupon to use there so I'll be tryin it again before too long. I'll see if they have the Asahi extra dry, thanks for the heads up!

I rub them with my rib rub the night before, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap in 'fridge overnite. Build up a good head of smoke from the apple wood chunks, and toss 'em on. Maintain it at about 250*,according to the Weber T'mometer. Cook on indirect flame for first 45 mns or so, flipping twice, and spraying with concentrated apple juice, then brush with the BBQ sauce for last half hour. Last 5 minutes crank burner under ribs up to get a bit of blackening, which I really like. Pull at 150* degs internal or so, tent in foil and let rest. If the ribs have been in my freezer for a long time, I soak them in really concentrated apple juice overnite, them follow same steps.

So about a 45 minute shot and then another half hour with sauce on it?

Ya, about that, depending on how thick I cut 'em, and how much bone is in each one. Right before I brush the sauce on, I flip 'em over a couple times quick to get any liquid/grease of, or the BBQ sauce will "slide around' andnot "set". 20 -30 mns is about right for the sauce to glaze up.

I'm sure this has been done a few million times over. Classic, Wonder Bread and Spam.  Dressed up with provolone, candied jalapeños, and a hot sauce mayo. Wash it down with some spicy V8 and the 2% stuff. 

image.thumb.jpg.639cde48dce97442d33e73af

Edited by DrJuice1980

I handle my heat pretty well and those jalapeños aren't that bad at all. They're the Nelson Bros. brand and I would highly recommend them if you like sweet pickles. Their pickled quail eggs are super good too.

Pretty sure I dipped my sandwich in that V8 once or twice.

Edited by DrJuice1980