• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just Food and Drink

My Mother in Law used to put some onions in the pan while frying squash.  Yellow Crookneck was the fave. 

Best summer squash I ever had was years ago at a place outside Atlanta called Aunt Fannies Cabin.  It was a casserole served as a side dish. 

I'll see if I can find the recipe. 

OK, didn't have to dig for it, it was on the web.  They used to have a brochure with this recipe in it.  Sides were served family style. 

Ingredients

• 3 lbs summer squash
  • 12 cup onion, chopped
  • 12 cup butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 12 cup saltine crumbs, "cracker meal" or bread crumbs.
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 12 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

1. Wash squash, cut in half lengthwise, then in 1/4-inch slices.
  2. Combine with chopped onion and cook in water to barely cover until both are tender.
  3. Drain thoroughly, pressing out excess water with back of spoon.
  4. Mash squash and onion with potato masher.
  5. Mix with half the butter, the cracker crumbs, eggs, sugar, to taste, salt and pepper.
  6. Pour into greased casserole dish.
  7. Pour remaining butter on top and sprinkle with additional cracker crumbs. (Other versions say to reserve half of the crumbs for the top)
  8. Bake at 375F for 45-60 minutes, or until top is golden brown and bubbly.

NOTE: This recipe is from a restaurant in Smyrna, Georgia called Aunt Fannie's Cabin.

Aunt Fannie was a freed slave of an old Georgia family who remained with the family until her death.

The menu at the Cabin represented many of the dishes that Aunt Fannie prepared for the family.

JP....Kind of....lol. Del posted one on the borrom of page 3, but bet I didn't even use 1 egg per pound of squash....probably one egg per 3 medium sized squash and way less flour.  Actually used some that were overgrown and just cut out the seedy middle part. Used onion and garlic powder as well. First few attempts were terrible with way too much moisture so was paranoid to add any more. Can always add more flour but then your eating more flour. Key did seem to be the salt sweat in the recipe. Also hand squeezed and paper towel blotted. 

Suppose

1 1/2 lbs squash grated/moisture removed

tsp of salt for sweating, bet I used more and it was plenty salty even after getting rid of the water 

tsp onion powder x 2

tsp garlic powder

Black pepper to taste

Small pinch of cayenne or glug of hot sauce

1 egg

2 Tbsp flour

Panko 

Combine all,  form into patties, dip in panko, fry on medium/medium high. Maybe 2-3 minutes each side or till brown and crispy. Ended up using a soy oyster ginger dipping sauce.

Don't get confused with the recipes.  The fritters are made with raw, grated, salted and squeezed, squash.  The hot dish, ja sure, is made with chunked squash that is cooked and smooshed. 

I bet the hot dish would be really good with some bacon grease instead of the butter.  You know back on the plantation in the south they must have used lard or bacon grease...  At least part bacon grease would be really good I betcha. 

Just started some bone in pork country ribs for the smoker today.  I'm starting with putting my rub on them and put a little apple juice in the two aluminum pans also.  I'm going to give them some smoke and when halfway done I'm going to put some of my Reinhard Caught A Buzz sauce on them and leave them simmering in the sauce until done.  

IMG_2334.thumb.jpg.06847a905b108495c2562

IMG_2335.thumb.jpg.252b282ec1b7b6aaf1bc4

In the smokier they go.  good luck.