• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Pike Photo Gallery

Rick

I was lucky enough to work in Northern SK, Canada this summer at a fish camp. It was the time of my life. Here are a couple of my favorites from the summer.

My personal fav. A 40" caught on 6lb flouro jigging for walleyes.

DSCN1193-1.jpg

Here is the biggest one landed in my boat this summer. Talk about a rush, i was so nervous landing this fish. Couldn't have happened to a better client. This Baby went 43"

DSCN1213-1.jpg

Last but not least. A HUGE 46". The gentleman on the left caught the fish, his son landed it for him. Great Fish

P7080074-1.jpg

Finally got a nice one! I was fishing on a lake that is just about untouched all year, because it has a bad algae problem, and has the reputation for poluted water. Last year I got skunked on the pike. My biggest before this year was around 28". This year I've had my best luck ever for pike. I caught a few in rivers, but the lake I tried this year just keeps getting better. In June I got about a 28 off a pier. Then in the middle of July a 31"er. I have caught a few more but smaller. Back in the day the lake was known for big pike, 20+ pounds. 2 Weekends ago I was fishing a dock throwing a 4 inch crappie pattern swimbait, and immediately after it hit the water it was fish on. It swam at me so it felt small until it got to the dock, then down. I hoisted it up from the bottom and got a good look at it. 36-40", then it tried for another run and the hook popped out. Now I was a believer of big pike in the lake. This weekend I finally got it. I was fishing for catfish, and was bringing in a 17-18" cat when the water exploded. The pike hit the catfish twice, missed both times. I was so stunned, it took at least 3 minutes to get set up with another rig. I put on a popper, and nothing for 3 minutes of casting. Then I tried a spinnerbait for about three casts. On the first cast I hooked up with something, a couple seconds later, gone! I brought the spinner in. About 10 minutes had past since seeing the pike. I put on my last chance, a perch pattern rapala. First cast, wham! I about immediately knew who it was. This fish put up a heck of a fight. Oh yah, I'm on a dock. The fish would run for the bottom and then go under the dock and try to tie me up. The first time I got it near shore, I realized I couldn't beach it. It went out again, and when I got it back in I tried to long reach for it, but I then found out I had to get in the water with it. It took off another time, and when I got it back to shore, I got in. I really didn't feel like getting into the water with something that could bite my finger or toes off. But I really wanted this fish, so I got in and quickly grabbed the fish and I finally landed a monster for me. I couldn't believe what the tape measure read. The fish went 40.5 inches, it was skinny so only 11.5 LBS, but my scale has been on the light side this year. But length is really all I need to know to make me happy. I broke the 40" mark! To top it off there was no one around so I had to self timer it with myself shaking from the excitement. The friend I usually fish with really doesn't really care for me fishing on his dock anymore, saying this in a joking way. Another friend thinks it was photoshopped. For these parts, this fish is a monster, and I am way proud to say I caught it on home waters. Here It Is! Most Importantely, it was CPR'd.

IMG_4669.jpg

Thought I would post a couple pics of some of the larger pike I cought over the past couple weeks. Here is one I caught yesterday (Friday) out on 'Tonka. It measured just 1/2" shorter than a muskie I caught just 15 minutes later. Between these two fish, my bucktail was trashed. New PB at 34.5" with a nice beergut (and I have only been living here 16 months). Sorry about the unorthodox photo... was nobody around to help with a picture and I was alone:

336141642.jpg

Here is another picture I caught last week while fishing Lake Jane. If any of you aren't familiar with the lake, it has plenty of 14-18" hammerhandles, but I never expected this to pounce on my lure. It probably was the apex predator in the entire lake. Here it is... 32":

336141612.jpg

Yes... it was definately unusual. I never caught anything bigger than 24" in there before then. Anyway, I figure I would put it back so it could eat up more of the tiny pike in there. That way, I can catch it at 40" next year and have another fluke story to talk about...

WOW, some great pics guys and gals. I can't wait to see what the hard water season produces. I just got done putting the new Jiffy together with the BIG TEN blade for those first ice pike!

I am going to give you folks a run for your money, I'm bringing out "The Nelson" this week. If anybody can catch a 50" pike by accident while walleye fishing it will be Nelson. Hopoefully I will have a dandy pic this coming week!

Keep em coming, love the ones with the little anglers holding a big fish and big smile.