• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Time for a smoke

My wife decided the other to surprise me, she picked up this 8 1/2 # flat. It's no packer but I gave her a smooch anyway. Got it scored , lathered up with mustard  and seasoned last night.  I decided to put the fat cap down for the first half of the duration then I'll give it a mop every hour or so. I'm going to shoot for an internal temp of 200, then wrap in some freezer paper and towels and let it rest in the cooler......:lol:

20151204_180012_resized.jpg

20151204_181501_resized.jpg

20151205_064556_resized.jpg

fat cap down...feeling pretty sassy this morning!

If I search my brain real deep I recall some people suggesting that.  I bet it doesn't make much of a difference.  People envision that fat oozing through the rest of the meat as some magical potion and I think it's the fat and tissue in the meat that does the deal.

Looks good.

bobber-  you got my gears turning in my head so I checked out a few smoking sites and there are plenty opinions on smoking cap down many claiming the fat protects the meat from the rising heat of the element or gas flame and keeps it from drying out.  That fact outweighs thoughts of the cap up keeping it bathed in fat and thereforemore moist.

you have quite a problem on your hands now :)   Have fun, be Brave.

Yeah but when your on your stomach your fat a$$ is up.:D:grin::grin::grin::P

Bobber that looks awsome!!! So heres a thought, I took out a bear roast for tomorrow, this inspired me to put some smoke on it. My roast are done to perfection by searing and high heat the low. 

Question is, before I put it on smoke, should I sear it?

2. should put it a baking pan or Like you did bobber? bear is lean.

3. I thoguht Id put it on smoke for about 3-4 hours then finish in a crock pot.

Im thinking on handleing it like I would a pork shoulder. thoguths??

Yep, would do as the boys say. You have any way of cold smoking? I would probably try that then sear, that might be the ticket.  Not sure how dense bear meat is but if it's anything like beef it could probably take alot of smoke....good luck . Oh, put it right on the rack.

Yep, would do as the boys say. You have any way of cold smoking? I would probably try that then sear, that might be the ticket.  Not sure how dense bear meat is but if it's anything like beef it could probably take alot of smoke....good luck . Oh, put it right on the rack.

I always put it on the left rack on odd days of the month.

reb was talking how dense boars head was not the meat!!!!!!!!

The fat side down is something I have done with a flat.  Then I put bacon slices on the top side to maintain moisture there.  Putting the fat side down acts as a seal of a sort to keep the internal fat from dripping out.  But it's all about personal preference.  I've seen opinions of both sides.    Boar I would take that bear roast and put it in a pan and give it some smoke for like you said 4 hours or so and then finish it up in a crock pot.  Put some beef broth in the pan with that roast in the smoker. Then dump the broth in the crock pot and add seasoning if needed.  good luck.

Well this thing hit the smoker at 6:15 this morning,  at 8:30 had an int temp of 130. At 10 it hit 149 and didn't move for an hour, then at noonish it stopped at 162. 2 hrs later it started to climb some but went back down. ...how the heck does that happen. Right now it's at 182, sure wanted this guy resting, dinner might be pushed off a bit. I rolled it over for an hour to mop and smoke but put the fat cap back down. might havta grab a taco from reb since it might be awhile. .

evaporation aka it's like you and me , we sweat and that makes us cool down.  Those briskets drive me nuts, I've never made a really good one so I quit even trying.   How much harder can you try, the photo you posted it was dark outside and as you said 615am.  

Probably why Reb ate earlier than the folks do at a nursing home.  He didn't want you stealing his stuff and Lawrence Welk starts at 5pm.  :)

evaporation aka it's like you and me , we sweat and that makes us cool down.  Those briskets drive me nuts, I've never made a really good one so I quit even trying.   How much harder can you try, the photo you posted it was dark outside and as you said 615am.  

Probably why Reb ate earlier than the folks do at a nursing home.  He didn't want you stealing his stuff and Lawrence Welk starts at 5pm.  :)

And, they just got a new bubble machine,too! Gets those ol' blue-hairs hotter than listening to  Carlos Santana by a red lava light. :/

Edited by RebelSS

hey bobber-  this am when I was re looking up fat cap up or down the article showed that that problem is mainly due to not trimming the fat enough.  The guy had a brisket and he cut little sections of fat cap pretty thin and in those parts the smoke ring was there.  On the parts he didn't trim the fat the ring was slight or non-existent.

That's hijacked info but I think that's a factor.

that kinda makes sense, like info trying to get thru to smurf or reb, to much fat in  the head and ya just cant get thru, which is what we've got here, which is the way they like it. I dont like it any more than you guys.:P

Edited by Boar