• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Pike Photo Gallery

Rick

Oh why not, this is my new personal best caught last week on Riley Lake. 36" on the nose, very fat, and she was squirmy so I didn't mess with weighing. I need to get up north sometime so I don't get these PB fish like that in the metro. wink

Anyways, here's the 2 pictures of it. Flash pic just doesn't do the length justice, so I attached both.

Aaron%2036in%20Riley%2010-23-08_320.jpgAaron%2036in%20B%20Riley%2010-23-08_320.

lol, it wasn't the slime. After her catching hundreds of Northerns with me over the last 10 years, that was the first one that she wanted to hold for a picture. It's not huge I know, but getting her to get past her fear was a victory in its self. She did everything herself and was pretty proud of it. Thats why I posted it.

As I am new to posting photos, I hope this works out! This pike was caught on January 15, 2006. This was caught on URL after a VERY long weekend out on the ice. My buddies and I always make an annual winter trip up there, and this was my favorite year! (For good reason) The weekend was full of rabid walleyes, and we couldn't do anything to keep them off our lines- which was not fun as that was the year that the slot was closed and no walleyes were allowed to be kept. So our goal was to find the elusive and famous "slab" crappies and trophy pike. Most of the weekend was 1 tip-up outside with a large sucker minnow targeting pike, and inside the shack with light tackle fishing for crappies. As ravenous as the hungry walleye were, they were hitting our sucker minnows viraciously and many tripped flags were these walleyes. A few of the other shacks around us had a few stray pike, but nothing big. Sunday morning was check out time, and I decided that I would put out 2 tip-ups while we were cleaning and packing up the truck. The shack was completely empty and all of our gear was loaded, except for those 2 flags. I was actually sitting in the truck, making room for myself to sit in for the ride home, when I noticed that I had a flag. My first instinct was another walleye, and continued cleaning my area for about 45 seconds. Finally started strolling to the flag, and saw that it was spinning like crazy. Set the hook- and immediately knew that it was big. Yelling for the guys to come take a look, I fought this beauty for about 15 minutes, until I got her mouth up through the hole. As all of our equipment was packed away, we had nothing to aid in the extraction through the hole. Mouth came up the 8" hole wide open and the line snapped while tryin to pull it through the hole. My quick acting friend went straight into the toothy critters mouth and pulled her out! He was rewarded with very cut-up fingers, but I joined him with my bloody hands from battling this fish on tip up line. She measured a little over 42.5! My buddies had to quickly un-pack their bags to try and find cameras to take these photos!Needless to say, I always love making that trip to URL, to see if I can top my PB pike. And this fish was CPR'd as you can see from the photo.

DankPike5good-1.jpg

horizontal.jpg

release.jpg

Ohhhhh believe me, I did! I credit alot of that fish to him. Although I have a been a stellar net man for some of his monster 'eyes, so we are even! And honestly- if he wouldnt of done it when he did, I am sure that I would of done the same thing too! When a fish with its mouth open barely fits through the hole, you know its gonna be big! Sure was fun pulling that through. And honestly-I have never been actual pike fishing on open water. Caught them (small ones) while fishing for other species, but never actually targeted them.