• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Pike Photo Gallery

Rick

If it was me that caught the fish I would have just released it and said oops or make it look like it flopped out of my hands.....or I would flat out tell him that he can keep what he catches and if you didn't want it cut up then tell him you are a catch and release guy with northerns and just release it.....not being in the same situation as you but similar situations walleye or crappie fishing and I will have people say "keep that I will eat it" and I just drop it back in the water and smile and say well then you have to catch it!! But if you want to go back to his cabin you might have to make a few sacrafices otherwise teach him what you have learned and if he gets mad then what do ya do?

I agree with ozzie if you want to keep a fish, catch it yourself. I spend alot of time around the inner city lakes fishing on the docks and i dont even know how many times someone has asked me if i would give them all the fish i was catching. I have even had guys want to keep some of the small muskies i have caught.

I think those were actually fine to keep if wanted to keep fish. They aren't huge, but still nice fish. That being said, if you didn't want to keep them, well he should have respected that. But then if you have to stay with him, is it worth it? Kind of a sticky situation for you. But IMO, you didn't hurt the lake by keeping those two.

Taking two fish of that size isn't going to hurt the lake at all, no need for concern there. But I would think that the guy would have had a little more respect for what your wishes are regarding your catch. Let him do what he wants to with his catches and you do what you want with yours. I personally will clean 2-3 lb fish any day, I think that they taste better, a little more difficult to clean than the bigger ones, but better eating in my opinion.

n13959551_45393873_6356.jpg

Thanks for the help posting the picture...

I am 6'3 just for visual reference, I have a good feeling it was over 40 inches but i dont measure any of my fish. I opt for the quick picture and release. Hit a top water on glass conditions. It was quite explosive.

The last two weeks have been absolutely the craziest awesome water wolf fishing of my life!

Started a little over a week ago in the BWCA and is continuing like mad in Wisconsin. Boatside strikes, figure 8 fish, fish flying out of the water, and crazy huge pike for my friends and I!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately we have only caught about less than half of the huge pike we have seen cause they just follow, or hit at boatside (actually canoe and kayak side) and fly out of the water and spit the lure, not to mention its not the easiest to land them from kayaks. Much of the fish have hit after making directional changes side to side and many as going into figure 8's. Here are a few pics from the crazy pike action we have had. My friend kayakman just joined and I'll get him to post his crazy pics too.

My personal best pike using an 1.25 ounce tandem spinnerbait 37.5!!! it ate the entire thing sideways in its mouth

mycambwca045qk0.jpg

and the release

mycambwca048vq2.jpg

And here is my personal best on the fly rod, using a 9 weight with about an 8" long fly I tied, 31"!!!

firstweek016dt0.jpg

I have been pike fishing for years, and never in my life could I have possibly imagined a fish like this on the fly.

The whole thing started a good 40 miles north of the nearest town in the BWCA. We had been fishing pike the last couple days with good success including fishcast's 37, and a 37 of my own that nailed an inline spinner but unfortunately I didn't have a camera in the canoe and was bummed to not get a picture.

The next day my only goal was to get a pike on the fly. 5 minutes of fly fishing and I caught a descent 20 some inch pike. We moved to the drop off from a bay into deep water. I was throwing a fly fishcast tied which was his first big fly he had tied (about 7 plus inches long and now called the limedogger). When all of a sudden a fish appeared out of the deep and lightly kissed the fly. Both my friend and I exclaimed "big fish thats at least mide 30's" while I tried to get a hook in the fish. But the fly popped free and the fish turned back deep, and I let the fly drop down as well. I stripped it twice more and kaboom, only this time I missed it and the fly flew back at me. The wind was pushing the canoe towards where the fish was, and my friend Josh (fishcast) was in the process of saying "hes probably gone" and then I laid the fly out there and it came back and ate it!

After an unbelievable fight we finally got the fish up and in the net! After a few screams we carefully paddled to shore holding the fish in the water. We couldn't believe when the tape rolled out to 43 inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mycambwca110dg7.jpg

mycambwca111rw8.jpg

And here are more pics from the last two weeks which were the best esox lucious fishing of my life! 6 have been over 3 feet, although we didn't get pics of some.

33" which was one of 3 over 30 within 20 minutes

mycambwca127id3.jpg

When this fish hit it went almost completely ariel but missed and then turned and hit it again 40"!!!

mycambwca174px4.jpg

firstweek021hl1.jpg

firstweek022aj5.jpg

Hey kayak...

That top pic is simply fantastic! That's an awesome pike on a fly, on anything for that matter, and I like the setting of the pic too......very well done! Nice job by fishcast on tying up the fly too!

I have to say, the "fly guys" always crack me up with the rod in the mouth pose!

Awesome fish and pics! Thanks for posting, sounds like y'all had a great trip!

More of a question than a story on this one. First and foremost after I unhook my fish I always put the lure back in the water. That said after a quick picture and measurement this fish took off from my hand only to immediately strike the same lure he had been caught on. After pulling him right back to the surface and unhooking him he was released again. The question is, is it 1 catch or 2?

IMG_0375.jpg

A few other pics:

28" to start the evening off right.

IMG_0373.jpg

Another 32.5" (not the same one as picture above)

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

The last pic is pretty random but has a lot of info in hindsight.

#1- Remember when releasing the fish to keep the bag in the water and lift the fish from the bag (as seen with the handle across the screen)

#2- Get a quick measure. No need to be exact, as my scrap metal stick demonstrates(needed something tougher than the plastic one I broke).

#3- Remember your leader. You can see my old man was cut off clean at almost the exact same time I hooked that guy, even while using a modern superline.

#4- Gill rakers are just as dangerous as the teeth. Watch out for yourself while looking out for the fish