• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Pike Photo Gallery

Rick

well not really. i can make up a real good fish story if ya want but true story, is i cast out my huge (to the fish it was huge anyway) # 2 gold mepps along a fallen tree from shore to see if there were any smallmouths in there then i seen this lunker following so i began to put the figure 8 into high gear at the end of my retreive (just kidding) but then i just dangled it in front of it and i caught it haha.. thats the true story other than the figure 8 part.. but dont worry boys heading up to canada in 48 minutes were leaving.

well i dint catch any huge northerns up in canada this past week. my cousin caught a 39" and almost exactly 23 hours later same spot, same color of blade, i had it on but it was too windy so the boat was drifting faster than her and so she finally broke my leader (we were bottom bouncing for walleyes btw) so next year she'll be bigger for me when im ready!

Heres a picture of my wife and her great catch. My wife started fishing with me 7 years ago, not noing barely a thing about fishing. Well she's come a long way and starting to out fish the teacher. The first couple years she would fish a little and usually read or relax alot. Now shes becoming a die hard. No more books in the boat, just fishing. And she is starting to outfish the teacher. She hasnt being able to break the 40" mark. Last year she lost about a 43" fish at the boat. I was in the process of unhooking a 36"fish I had just caught, when I her her say get the net, I said hold on for one second. I release my fish and turn to see her standing there with slack in her line looking at the fish next to the boat. I yelled to keep pressure on the fish but it was to late. Just when I said it the fish shook and out came the hook. OH was she mad. It was all my fault, she wouldnt talk to me or fish for the next hour. She said she would never break 40" and I said you sure will. her very next cast she landed a 42" fish. Wew was that a relief. This year she way outdid that. She watched this fish hit by the boat. She stayed calm and didnt pull the lure out of the water. She made sure the fish hit it first. She set the hook and the fight was on. I was busy, you guessed it, unhooking a small fish when She yells get the net. I looked up to see the fish swim by the back of the boat, and said wow thats huge. Well I grabbed the net and just reminded her not to horse it or let up on it till it's in the net. She got the fish close but it turned to make another run, she yells net it, I said no its got to come head first, she say's if this fish gets off im gonna be mad. "to put it nicelly". The fish came close again but was just out of reach and off it went. I could see that time that it was barely hooked. I got nervous, told her to keep pressure on the fish and she pulled it it again and into the net it went and out came the hooks. Whew what a relief. I'm proud of her and here is a picture of her fish. An awesome 48 1/2" northern.

Canada08013-1.jpg

I'm speechless. That thing is AWESOME!! Did she happen to get a girth measurement? That thing had to go upper 30's for weight at least. Could be into the 40's. I'm assuming this wasn't in Minnesota, but our state record is 45 lbs, 12 oz.

Nothing against the large walleyes I see on this site. But seeing these monster pike is much more exciting to me!