• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birds Everywhere!!!!

Hawg

All of a sudden, the last week or so, I can hardly keep up filling the feeders! Redpolls by the hundreds and goldfinches so thick I fill the niger seed feeder every day. I thought Purple finches went away in the winter but I have something that looks just like them too. I also have some little finch type birds that some have either pinkish red backs under the wings or some are orangeish. Any idea what they might be? Those along with all the cardinals, nuthatches, and assorted others have me wondering what I'm going to spend my money on, their groceries or mine. I've got 4 times more birds than I had all last summer but I'm not complaining, they are a hoot to watch fight over the perches. 

Eyeguy, do you have a picture of a winter goldfinch and a pine siskin? I'm not 100% sure I know the difference. Any idea what the birds are I posted about with the colored backs? Those are on the safflower seed heavy, not on the niger at all. I wish I had a lens to take a picture to show you.

Thank you, looks like I have a ton of them and not the goldies, I'm kind of disappointed. There's quite a bit of difference, I must have been fooled by the yellow on the siskins. It's been a while since I had either. I'm still looking for my bird books to identify the others. It seems the older I get the better I get at hiding stuff from myself! Thanks again, Mark

Edited by Hawg

Yeah, the last couple of weeks have been pretty uneventful at my feeders. Then all of sudden today I was bombarded with multiple species! 

I had 2 hen pheasants pecking around, then later the rooster showed up. There were robins everywhere. The blue jays are back to eating up the peanuts within minutes of me putting them out. I’ve actually been saving money the last couple weeks on sunflower chips, because the goldfinches disappeared. But today I had redpolls out there for the first time of the season. So I’ll have to start working some overtime to afford the food they go through! Have a lot more woodpeckers this winter than last year as well.

Finally found my bird books! Purple finches winter south so they are probably house finches, BUT, both Audubon and Peterson's books don't show Minn. as the house finch range.?.?  

house finches hang around here all winter and would be rare to see a purple. purples pop thru spring and fall and sometimes a few hang around in the spring for a while. love seeing them. i dodnt think there is a good map for the house finch, they are probably all over the us by now

40 minutes ago, Hawg said:

Still going thru 2 whole full size tube feeders of safflower seed and 1 nigger seed every day!

How many Deer tracks do you have around your feeders or else the squirrels are getting at it!  ?

2 hours ago, Hawg said:

Still going thru 2 whole full size tube feeders of safflower seed and 1 ni*ger seed every day!

Careful with your spelling there, dude.  You never know who is reading....

Maybe that is why the packages seem to now all say Nyjer seed instead of niger.  ?