• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birds Everywhere!!!!

Hawg

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, Tom Sawyer said:

Pretty sure thats Wild Violet, not Hosta. Nasty stuff in a yard ..... ?

hostas are left and right and all around, just not in picture. :)

That's great.   All I have at my suet is a mob of assorted woodpeckers.. 

A red bellied, a hairy, and several downies.  Probably actually 2 red bellies and 2 hairy even though I only see one at a time.   A cake lasts maybe two days.

Scarlet Tanager, Baltimore Oriole and Rose Breasted Grosbeak in same pic! Usually don't feed birds this time of year because of nusiance bears, but to keep our family of flying squirrels happy we kept putting seed out. Decided to keep suet as well,  added oranges recently and have some brilliantly colored birds. Indigo Buntings  and goldfinches are also here daily. And of course the tiny Ruby Throated Hummers.IMG_20190526_084828165.thumb.jpg.ca107e5a6522e4c2a3d5d644ff6c1d71.jpg

IMG_20190526_054225469.jpg

12 hours ago, delcecchi said:

does just nailing oranges to the tree work?

We get the Orioles every year, generally drinking from the hummingbird feeder. The tanagers seem to like the woodpecker suet. Oranges get gobbled up by the Orioles but they are a common sight without them, too. But yes, they 'work' for the Orioles at least. Not sure if anything else eats the oranges. 

I hang the hummingbird feeder about 2 inches outside the sliding window and I've opened the window and moved it to about 6 inches inside the house many times during the last few summers and the little Hummers come right into the house to drink. 

My personal favorites are the 6-8 flying squirrels tho!!! They provide hours of entertainment and will chirp like crazy when we step outside, especially if they are out of seeds. I've had them fly within inches of my face if I stand by the feeder tree. Can also see them going tree to tree with the back yard light on. They're so tame.... And sooo FAT we call em rolling squirrels because they look nearly round and it's amazing they still 'fly'.

Another first in my yard, an indigo bunting. Like the tanager, was also the first time I’ve ever seen one. There was also an eastern phoebe dancing around in the air. I suspect it’s the same one I hit with a rapala while trout fishing on the Rush River last month. He’s finally tracked me down and seeking vengeance. ?

flyers are cool, we have them also. bug eyed rascals we call them. lol  nice that you saw an indigo. 28 years her and I think we are at 5. a treat to see them.  only the second scarlet tanager for us. 

16 hours ago, BIGFISH.JZ said:

I hang the hummingbird feeder about 2 inches outside the sliding window and I've opened the window and moved it to about 6 inches inside the house many times during the last few summers and the little Hummers come right into the house to drink. 

My personal favorites are the 6-8 flying squirrels tho!!! They provide hours of entertainment and will chirp like crazy when we step outside, especially if they are out of seeds. I've had them fly within inches of my face if I stand by the feeder tree. Can also see them going tree to tree with the back yard light on. They're so tame.... And sooo FAT we call em rolling squirrels because they look nearly round and it's amazing they still 'fly'.

we've had up to 8 flyers up at the cabin. it was a tough year this past winter so no one really got up there to feed any birds so I hope there still around. 

I think we finally have a pair of bluebirds that are gonna stick around.

haven't seen a bunting in a while.

It took me almost a year to get those flying squirrels out of my attic about 20 years ago, never did figure out how they got in and out.                                                My birds seem to have all but disappeared. Hope it’s nesting time and they’ll be back soon. Stupid catbirds keep slurping up my grape jelly though. 

58 minutes ago, Hawg said:

It took me almost a year to get those flying squirrels out of my attic about 20 years ago, never did figure out how they got in and out.                                                My birds seem to have all but disappeared. Hope it’s nesting time and they’ll be back soon. Stupid catbirds keep slurping up my grape jelly though. 

same here!!!!!!not many birds right now. the wrens sure are noisy. catbirds are about the only thing eating the jelly. i'm going to be pulling the mealworm and jelly feeders soon.

my frustration is not having any morning doves around. and them gosh darn friggin sparrows.

Crazy thing just happened to me while fishing off my dock... Was throwing a topwater, not paying attention, and SPLASH, I set the hook and nothing there. As I was reeling in to try that spot again, I heard something in the big pine next to the dock, but didn't think anything of it. Recasted and heard something again, turned my headlight on in time to see an owl heading to and then kinda hovering over my lure...  I thought that was weird... A couple casts later I hooked a small bass.... Then I lift it out of the water and as I'm reaching for it, the crazy owl swoops down and about hit me as it tried to nab my bass!!! Holy $#!+ I said out loud and decided to go up the hill before I got attacked. But not until I got pics and videos of the brave bird. 

Last summer I had a very similar up close encounter with a great blue heron and a crappie, right at dusk with a heavy fog coming in... Not sure which one surprised me more!!IMG_20190618_232322586.thumb.jpg.cc9358f2f86c4b116e1c59c9929d6f6b.jpgScreenshot_20190618-234551.thumb.png.b49439b13d3268236a645820ffed4123.png

Screenshot_20190618-234607.png

15 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

you using millet?  if so get rid of it. sparrows love it

nope, they just like my bluebird houses! they got evicted again 2 nites ago!!!!!!!!! i learned a long time ago no millet. i only feed sunflower and safflower seed along with thistle!

I finally put out the blackbird proof suet feeder. The juvenile redwing blackbirds have recently moved in and have been gorging on the nutty butter. Never had any grackles so far, hence the reason I’ve waited until now to swap feeders. They haven’t been hitting the sunflower chips much, so I’ll hold off on swapping those feeders for now.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:18 AM, JBMasterAngler said:

I finally put out the blackbird proof suet feeder. The juvenile redwing blackbirds have recently moved in and have been gorging on the nutty butter. Never had any grackles so far, hence the reason I’ve waited until now to swap feeders. They haven’t been hitting the sunflower chips much, so I’ll hold off on swapping those feeders for now.

can you post a pic of that feeder please? thx