• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Pike Photo Gallery

Rick

DavesFish.jpg

I caught her while catfish fishing in southern MN on a piece of cut sucker. I happened to be staying at my in-laws at the time and forgot to pack a rain coat, and it was raining fairly well so i just grabbed this god-awful jacket (which i came to find out was my wifes high school winter coat). When i left for home i had a cheap outfit (a cheap shimano reel with a berkely cherrywood-MH) taking the rod out of the car it snapped in half. I bought a Southbend Fiberglass rod at Fleet and spend a whoppin 6 bucks on it. As you can see the cheaper outfit worked like a charm.

At first i felt like i had a small catfish on and it didnt fight for about 15 seconds, then she started going on runs and whipping out drag, we thought we had a heck of a cat. Was pleasantly surprised to land her, as i don't catch a lot of good pike. She was a new personal best and was released as soon as the photo was taken so someone could catch her again and hopefully do the same.

i forgot to mention that she was 33 inches which is about 10 lbs

It is certainly a nice fish, but the one tengauge emailed me is going to try to put up a challenge for ya. Nothing like a little friendly competition right? There are going to be some awesome shots in here.

Here are the photos from tengauge...

2496245694_da23aff40b.jpg

And of course a beautiful release photo..

2496245868_cc59781c04.jpg

Nice fish Brandon. He said it was caught while crappie fishing on a lake near Brainerd. Just shy of 40" and about a 15 minute battle on 6lb test line.

I am envious.

~edit~ Brandon, if you would like to use the hoist image as an avatar, here is the code to do it. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/2496245694_da23aff40b_s.jpg Just copy that address and paste it in the section that asks for your URL on your profile page if you choose to use it.

norskiiss2.JPG

Not a very good story, fishing for northerns this spring and this 42" hit, new personal best. Great fight on it too, I could hardly move it when she was taking runs. CPR'd to fight another day.

5/19/08, It was cold, the rain was lurking on the radar, but I just couldnt resist getting out to my old hotspot, with the wind now coming from the northeast, my spot would be on the calm side, and the wind wasnt blowing as it had been the last few days. I figured with and umbrella and layers of clothes we should be ok. Watching the radar all day at work, the rain started to shift more east and it looked like we might even stay dry, I was fishing for sure then. Raced home as fast as I could, grabbed the boat, my cousin, and some med. suckers. Got out to our spot around 630, only a couple hours to fish. We anchored about 10 yard from the rushes and casted to the sides and out as always, fishin in about 5-6 fow. After an hour of bass stealing half our minnows, we were convinced the pike just werent here today. We decided that in 5 minutes we were moving to a new spot to try until sunset. I said, lets move down the shore just a bit for these last 5 mins. We moved maybe 20 yards down, and I decided instead of casting out, lets try right up next to the rushes, couldnt hurt. Casted the minnow out and landed a foot from the rushes at the most, no more than a minute and my bobber was down and goin right, just a small swirl when it went so I didnt think it was anything too big. Set the hook and was on for a great drag ripping fight, a few runs under the boat and then I grabbed her. Hooked on the edge of the mouth, pulled it out with my fingers. Few quick pics by my cousin, weight and back she went to be caught later on. It was cold but it was all worth it for this fish.

Weighed in slightly over 11lbs, I always forget to measure them though! Just outside metro area.

11pikehgj0.jpg

Good fishing!