• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Time for a smoke

12 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

I have just smoked them.. 150 for a awhile and then crank it up ti get to the desired temp!!!  and it's good eats for sure!!!  hope it goes great for ya!!!

yea but what DONT  you eat!!!!!!!!!!?? rumor has it you even eat brussel sprouts!!!!!!!!!☺️

2 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

Good lord rl_sd,  you have more seeds than me that's for sure. My first thought was to put it on the rack seasoned the way you want and go as low as you can with smoke for what you think is enough.  Transfer it to a  dish that will take the heat and crank it up to crispen and do the shut down method. If I remember you have no shortage of temp probes, the thing is is the start to finish time one needs to figure out. Good luck and keep us posted.

I cringed after buying my first packer brisket too..... thinking that I will season it similar to what I do on brisket... keeping it simple with salt, pepper, and garlic. The family ranges I. Taste from well done to rare, so probes are going to be important! All of the websites seem to vary from 30 to 50 min per pound. If I can get the center to the 130 mark and ends to 160, I should be able to find pieces to meet everyone’s taste buds. Will keep you posted

2 hours ago, Mike89 said:

I have just smoked them.. 150 for a awhile and then crank it up ti get to the desired temp!!!  and it's good eats for sure!!!  hope it goes great for ya!!!  

and that was a great buy!!!

Thanks Mike. Couldn’t go wrong. The had strip loins for $4.99 as well! So you roll it on smoke for a while and then turn it up to what temp? Most of what I have seen says 225

11 hours ago, rl_sd said:

Thanks Mike. Couldn’t go wrong. The had strip loins for $4.99 as well! So you roll it on smoke for a while and then turn it up to what temp? Most of what I have seen says 225

yes or not much higher than that..  I mean you can go higher but you do have to watch the temp closer than..   good luck!!

On 12/23/2019 at 8:09 AM, rundrave said:

Smoked an 8lb pork shoulder over night. Started it at 630 last night, smoked for 12 hours and pulled it at 200 and let it rest  covered in foil in the cooler. Just finished resting and here is final results:

0F5BC6CF-BE4F-411A-9961-CDB097D52D66.jpeg

E5BA9447-432A-4C2D-9E48-C325AB1FCC7C.jpeg

..... now that’s what I call bark!

The pork belly burnt ends look great!  Has anyone tried this with beef brisket?  I have used receipts in the past where you smoke the entire roast until at least 160, then pull it from the grill and cube like rundrave did with the PB.  Couldn't you just cube the brisket and smoke in a pan?  Just wondering if anyone has tried it, otherwise I may experiment this weekend.

10 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Has anyone tried this with beef brisket?

Havent tried it myself but there are lots of recipes out there: https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/brisket-burnt-ends

I may give this a go but I have had a hard time finding the small flat briskets lately. Just have a family of 4 and a big packer is way to much for us

7 hours ago, rundrave said:

Havent tried it myself but there are lots of recipes out there: https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/brisket-burnt-ends

I may give this a go but I have had a hard time finding the small flat briskets lately. Just have a family of 4 and a big packer is way to much for us

Dude, go to your local meat market.

22 hours ago, rundrave said:

Costco one of the few places that hasnt jacked up prices around here on any meat or poultry. 

Interesting... I will have to check it out.

18 hours ago, rundrave said:

County Fair in Dells has points and flats sold separately from the packers... Not much of a price different either ($0.40/pound), which is surprising considering the amount of fat a guy trims off of the packers

18 hours ago, Moonshine said:

The pork belly burnt ends look great!  Has anyone tried this with beef brisket?  I have used receipts in the past where you smoke the entire roast until at least 160, then pull it from the grill and cube like rundrave did with the PB.  Couldn't you just cube the brisket and smoke in a pan?  Just wondering if anyone has tried it, otherwise I may experiment this weekend.

I know a lot of people that will separate the point from the flat and smoke separately. I would think that you would loose a lot of moisture if you tried cubing it first. Beef and pork are two different animals (pun intended). Best bet is  to smoke it whole until 160, let rest, cube, and then throw them in the pan.