• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Time for a smoke

10 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Dude, go to your local meat market.

I have actually tried to go to numerous local markets lately.... none will sell you just the pork belly, they are curing everything for bacon

44 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

County Fair in Dells has points and flats sold separately from the packers... Not much of a price different either ($0.40/pound),

I may have to look into that, I will be in Dells soon, might just have to bring a big cooler along for the trip lol.

6 hours ago, rl_sd said:

Interesting... I will have to check it out.

Costco has posted in the store that they are maintaining their same margins and price increases are coming from the suppliers of meat.       

Edited by delcecchi

19 hours ago, Mike89 said:

and I'm going to try that with as loin too!!!  looks darn good!!

I won’t do one any other way any more. Seems like the fattier rib end gets too tender for slicing.  I cut mine where the fat cap starts to taper off. You can also see on the bottom side where the meat changes. Make sure to add plenty of liquid when you wrap it. I like to use coke and put in about 3-4 oz per loin end. 

22 hours ago, rl_sd said:

Did 5 pork butts over the weekend. Seasoned and wrapped over night then but on the smoker for the long haul. Had two that were going faster than the other three so I let them finish on their own. The other 3 I wrapped at 165 degrees. They took 14.5 hrs on the smoker. I let them rest double wrapped in the foil for 90 min and then pulled them. They went on the smoker at 5:30 am and it was after 10am by the time I finished pulling them. Needless to say I decided to eat chicken on Sunday! They were for a birthday party but after messing with it that long i was craving something different ! The best part was my some had to do a “how to” video for school and wanted to smoke some meat, so he did most of the work ! My wife got me a pit boss Lockhart smoker for my birthday this summer and I really like it!

12618779-25C5-494B-B78B-BA977CE5A1B0.png

554A4880-4590-45BC-8AA4-076062FAD937.png

F2B75861-B360-4998-82A6-CE71AF647470.png

Master Smoker in the making!! 👍👍

19 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Master Smoker in the making!! 👍👍

He really loves it. He has rubbed more ribs and loins than many of my other adult smoker friends. Definitely doesn't settle for being a spectator - digs right in and gets his hands dirty!

Edited by rl_sd

I also added this gravity charcoal smoker this year to replace the pellet grill. I had some issues with it until I figured out a switch wasn’t set properly but man does it work nice. Definitely burns more lump and briquettes than the pellet grill did. 

F548F251-FC30-4CAD-8F82-C6B35489563D.jpeg

16 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Not smoke ( I’ll post that next) but I purchased this infrared steak cooker and have been running it this year. Cooks at like 1500 degrees. 

It has made some of the best tasting steaks I have eaten. 

far better than boiling in a bag 

3565528E-A672-4B84-B8BB-F6E0D194AE0E.jpeg

Um, wouldn't this be a Broiler?  I broil large fish like Tuna, Swordfish, Cod and others like this.  Tastes great! 👍

On 10/2/2021 at 1:20 PM, leech~~ said:

Um, wouldn't this be a Broiler?  I broil large fish like Tuna, Swordfish, Cod and others like this.  Tastes great! 👍

Nope. Hotter than that. If you disagree take it up with the industry 😁

GASPRO Multi-Tasking Propane Infrared Outdoor Cooking Master, XL Steakhouse & Cast-Iron Griddle 2-in-1, Dustproof Foldable Panel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0836LS2Z9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_H7CZT3S0CH0AF02J1Y0Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

13 hours ago, Mike89 said:

interesting unit

look up the Otto Grill. Someone came up with it to try and replicate the way top restaurants sear their steaks with high heat. Like 1500 degrees. 

then like everything there are companies that took the design concept and offer it for less money. 

it is really amazing at cooking steaks. It can sear and cook a steak in like 5 minutes.