• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Time for a smoke

6 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Not bad. It wasn't the best brisket I ever had but it was more tender than I thought it would be since it was at 195 IT in less than 6 hours. I let it rest in a cooler for about 2 hours before slicing it and it was very tasty but I think I'll stick with whole briskets in the future. That piece was less than 5 lbs.

That's one cut I need to do on the pellet smoker. Everything so far has turned out real moist and tender,  I'm guessing since the door seals up so tight. I prefer as well to slice that day, the leftovers can go in the crockpot for shredding.. I better go get one.

Well.... had my first major issue on my pellet smoker. Last week I cooked two chickens at high temp(~400 f). When the birds were done I went through the standard cool down cycle. Everything seemed fine and the birds were fabulous. Fast forward to the next day, I came home from work at about 5 pm and could smell some smoke. I went to the back patio and could see a little bit of smoke come from the hopper. I open the hopper and found that the pellets had smoldered all the way back through the auger system and burned up all the pellets in the hopper... which was full. I think what saved a major burn out versus the smoldering was the fact that the pellets give off a lot of moisture when they burn. Unfortunately, the moisture steamed off the paint in side of the hopper box. I was finally able to get the auger system working again but had to scrape all of the caked ash out and use a channel lock to help the auger move. It sounds pretty bad when it runs, but did seem to get better tonight after it rand for an hour. The one good piece of news is that I called the big horn company and  they are sending me a completely new hopper and burn pot assembly, which is kind of amazing being that the grill is 3 yrs old.  The new design has an auger that goes up at an angle and drops the pellets in from the top to prevent burn back. I have had thousands of pounds go through this thing and have never had this problem. Just wanted to share the story with all of you. 

CB96C10F-B452-4FEE-9C62-657FDFFBB512.thumb.jpeg.b733c976f3bcbade8a2f0ee77e4508cb.jpeg33D4E6C9-470D-4975-8984-0AD5F3794211.thumb.jpeg.7003cd074190e2d102acf104dfe566d9.jpeg

3 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Wow, I've never had anything like that happen! ?

Me neither! In all fairness there may be a slight chance that the fire pot should have been cleaned before the cook, but hunger took priority!

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:11 PM, leech~~ said:

Wow, I've never had anything like that happen! ?

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:28 AM, leech~~ said:

I was really thinking Dave would be by to catch this? He may be to busy shoveling pellets!  ?

Ok leech I was confused by your first remark but then when I saw the second one it all makes sense. 

On 5/4/2019 at 9:49 PM, rl_sd said:

Well.... had my first major issue on my pellet smoker. Last week I cooked two chickens at high temp(~400 f). When the birds were done I went through the standard cool down cycle. Everything seemed fine and the birds were fabulous. Fast forward to the next day, I came home from work at about 5 pm and could smell some smoke. I went to the back patio and could see a little bit of smoke come from the hopper. I open the hopper and found that the pellets had smoldered all the way back through the auger system and burned up all the pellets in the hopper... which was full. I think what saved a major burn out versus the smoldering was the fact that the pellets give off a lot of moisture when they burn. Unfortunately, the moisture steamed off the paint in side of the hopper box. I was finally able to get the auger system working again but had to scrape all of the caked ash out and use a channel lock to help the auger move. It sounds pretty bad when it runs, but did seem to get better tonight after it rand for an hour. The one good piece of news is that I called the big horn company and  they are sending me a completely new hopper and burn pot assembly, which is kind of amazing being that the grill is 3 yrs old.  The new design has an auger that goes up at an angle and drops the pellets in from the top to prevent burn back. I have had thousands of pounds go through this thing and have never had this problem. Just wanted to share the story with all of you. 

CB96C10F-B452-4FEE-9C62-657FDFFBB512.thumb.jpeg.b733c976f3bcbade8a2f0ee77e4508cb.jpeg33D4E6C9-470D-4975-8984-0AD5F3794211.thumb.jpeg.7003cd074190e2d102acf104dfe566d9.jpeg

Yikes! Sorry to hear that happened to you. Sounds to me like it may be a known issue with your specific brand and luckily they have good customer service and are willing to make it right. 

Could also be that Leech sabotaged your smoker just to teach you a lesson about buying overpriced grills that he doesn't approve of.....

Either way,  I hope you get it fixed and back up and running soon!

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Could also be that Leech sabotaged your smoker just to teach you a lesson about buying overpriced grills that he doesn't approve of..... 

Leech sure gets around.

Soo..... just an update. I thought that I was receiving the entire hopper assembly, what I received was just the hopper lid. I made  another call and was told that since they were the middle man, all that they could give me was parts- to which I replied “ I need every part from page 5”. They agreed. My 2nd shipment arrived today- which included the entire hopper assembly, a fan controller and separate auger. I have a  suspicion that by the end of the deal I’ll probably have enough parts to buy an additional hopper assembly. Here is the new top feed design. 

Edited by rl_sd

Tried cheeseburger meatloaf on the pellet smoker last week. 1# pork sausage, 2# 85% beef, shredded cheese, Italian bread crumbs, Worcester sauce, chopped onion, minced garlic and four eggs. Made  4 loaves and topped it with more cheese and some ketchup and mustard. Onto the smoke for an hr at 400 degrees. My two boys went nuts over it. Thinking maybe pickles on top next time! Had to make up a stuffed onion as well!

F01E072D-9F7B-4301-9B02-7FAEE439D147.thumb.jpeg.d3ccb0ff4d0e19d3e376fef90ed768b2.jpeg

7AE99071-56AB-445C-ABEF-CEF2D08E0E88.thumb.jpeg.340700891ac955beca9c52b4503ad785.jpeg

3A52494B-BDFC-4C4B-9DD3-A25145100F34.thumb.jpeg.5f97a30f4e4beb77d80423f818a3c0fb.jpeg

15EA1FC3-8FF4-4618-8FA3-B1458E886ED7.jpeg

On 6/15/2019 at 7:07 AM, Mike89 said:

stuffed onion???  have not heard of that before...

Take a spoon and hollow out and stuff it with cream cheese or seafood salad and then put shredded cheese and lawrys on top. Easy peesy! If you don’t want the brown outside you can wrap the outside in foil

Edited by rl_sd

On 6/15/2019 at 5:38 AM, bobberineyes said:

Dynamite rl_sd !! , we've done them before but not quite that way, I'm gonna give those a whirl... thanks. Oh ya I like the after dinner mint you have handy near by!!   ?

If smurfy can have his catsup, I can have my mints!

On 6/12/2019 at 10:08 PM, leech~~ said:

8 hours later done!

Lots of tasty pulled pork for this weekend! ?

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

How much of the liquid do you drain off before pulling? I tried pulling it right in the juices but seemed to get greasy?.