• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Peterson Indicted for Child Abuse

LMITOUT

The irony of all of this is Annheuser-Busch making a statement against the NFL's action. As if to say "We don't want to be associated with a league that is not hard enough on people charged with domestic violence." As if to be completely oblivious to the fact that they sell a product that is involved in 2 out of every 3 domestic violence incidents. No Budweiser, we don't associate you with domestic violence because of the NFL. We associate your product with domestic violence because 100,000 people a year get drunk on your product and go home and beat up family members.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the sanctimonious know-it-alls on this site slay me. I grew up in the 60's and 70's in MN in a new subdivision where the families were from all over the US because of the main business employer. Every kid in every home at various times, boys and girls, were disciplined with paddles, belts, straps or switches. In fall through spring it was through pants and in summer it was on bare legs. One family would take the kids into the front yard for the "whoppins" to add insult to injury. We all used to compare how severe the punishment was for various infractions. The families from Texas were always the harshest. On our block, Dr. Spock was a Star Trek character. Every parent on that block would have multiple felony convictions against them with today's rules on spanking (or against any spanking). As would teachers and administrators who used wooden paddles with air holes for maximum speed and force (One particular paddle was named "Little Elmer", another "The Judge")

I happened to work in a County Attorneys office during and after college, and saw where discipline crossed the line to abuse. I made the choice then never to use anything but an open hand swat on the tush of my kids because of how easy it was for well intended blows to cross into unintended injury when using a tool for the job, or when directed anywhere other than the tush. There were always 2 reactons of parents when they crossed the line: they didn't expect or intend what occured, or the kid was lucky they didn't go harder on them. The people in the first category got parenting classes and monitoring. Those in the second got prosecuted and anger management (and usually substance abuse) classes.

If Peterson was in the latter category, because of his high profile, we would have seen multiple reports on these kids from birth, with serious injuries including broken bones. If these things start to surface now, then by all means take his livelihood in the NFL from him.

If not, get him the parenting classes and help he needs, and supervised visitation, so he can become a better parent, as any other parent in his situation would be treated. But most of all, get off your perfectionist high-horses, and let him do for a living and his family, including these kids, what he does best. Or be consistent and advocate for waiving statutes of limitations and let us all send our parents and neighbor's parents to jail for the discipline they gave us in the 60 and 70's.

+3

Pretty crazy how these situations are being handled, it's either one end of the extreme or the other. Adrian goes from playing against the Saints to likely not playing for the entire year. Ray Rice goes from a 2 game suspension to being kicked out of the league. Why can't we just use some common sense and find the middle ground. Adrian should be suspended somewhere around 6 games without pay, and should be required to see someone to work on how controls his discipline.

I don't really see the point of this exempt list. Now lets say he takes some sort of plea bargain and is eligible to return. The league will likely suspend him, do these games he has missed already count towards his suspension, or is he going to get suspended twice. The league knows what he did, and this could have been resolved already.

He more than likely would be suspended twice...the "league" could then suspend him him for as many games as they see fit under another provision of the CBA.

The irony of all of this is Annheuser-Busch making a statement against the NFL's action. As if to say "We don't want to be associated with a league that is not hard enough on people charged with domestic violence." As if to be completely oblivious to the fact that they sell a product that is involved in 2 out of every 3 domestic violence incidents. No Budweiser, we don't associate you with domestic violence because of the NFL. We associate your product with domestic violence because 100,000 people a year get drunk on your product and go home and beat up family members.

Them and Nike, both...it's really mind boggling how much influence "big-business" has on these decisions. Anheuser-Busch spoke up and it was a done deal...

When the sponsers "turned", so did the Vikings...just too much pressure thoughout the league from the other owners to eliminate the "problem".

$$$$ trumps everything else in the NFL....

So ya wanna be famous? ya wanna be in the public eye? Everything you do is out there for scrutiny by the entire public.

Just seen on the am news that there are few more players that got pulled out of the NFL because of domestic assault.

Be interesting to how all this plays out.

NFL code of conduct

Quote:
Prohibited conduct

It will be considered conduct detrimental for Covered Persons to engage in (or to aid, abet or conspire to engage in or to incite) violent and/or criminal activity. Examples of such Prohibited Conduct include, without limitation: any crime involving the use or threat of physical violence to a person or persons; the use of a deadly weapon in the commission of a crime; possession or distribution of a weapon in violation of state or federal law; involvement in "hate crimes" or crimes of domestic violence; theft, larceny or other property crimes; sex offenses; racketeering; money laundering; obstruction of justice; resisting arrest; fraud; and violent or threatening conduct. Additionally, Covered Persons shall not by their words or conduct suggest that criminal activity is acceptable or condoned within the NFL.

Persons charged with criminal activity

Any Covered Person arrested for or charged with conduct prohibited by this policy will be required to undergo a consultation and additional counseling as directed. Failure to comply with the consultation and counseling (including being arrested for or charged with additional criminal activity during the evaluation and counseling period) shall itself be conduct detrimental to the National Football League and shall be punishable by fine or suspension at the discretion of the Commissioner.

Disposition of the criminal proceeding

Any Covered Person convicted of or admitting to a criminal violation (including a plea to a lesser included offense; a plea of nolo contendere or no contest; or the acceptance of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement) will be subject to discipline as determined by the Commissioner. Such discipline may include a fine, suspension without pay and/or banishment from the League. Any Covered Person convicted of or admitting to a second criminal violation will be suspended without pay or banished for a period of time to be determined by the Commissioner.

Other than the stop/start/reversal, the NFL/Vikings are pretty much going by the NFL code of conduct in handling the AP case. Suspension is certainly an option for the case and depending on the outcome banishment could be a happening thing.

The latest member of the suspended list is, or soon will be Dwyer of the AZ Cardinals. The list is predominately, if not entirely African American players.

I'm wondering how much more time will pass before a lawyer representing the ACLU will file a discrimination suit against the NFL citing that physical punishment is an inherent lifestyle to black people and was created by whites dating back some 400 years.

I also expect NBA, MLB, NHL and other professional sports entities to implement, if they haven't already done so a "Suspended list policy" to protect their corporate money machines.

Nike for example could only charge about $20 for a pair of top of the line shoes if they didn't pay out millions of endorsement $ to how many different players.

The latest member of the suspended list is, or soon will be Dwyer of the AZ Cardinals. The list is predominately, if not entirely African American players.

I'm wondering how much more time will pass before a lawyer representing the ACLU will file a discrimination suit against the NFL citing that physical punishment is an inherent lifestyle to black people and was created by whites dating back some 400 years.

This might spark a bit more discussion! whistle

I find one of the troubling aspects of this thread are the folks who now refuse to watch football (or the Vikings) because of the recent events we're seeing in the media. Honestly? I would wager a guess that there are many, many more players, coaches, owners, managers, etc., within this sport alone that do much, much worse things then what AP got caught doing to his son. They just don't get caught, or the issues are never brought to the public eye.

Football is inherently a violent sport. It's a full contact, full speed, heavily padded, strategic attack. So why would anyone be so shocked and shaken when a player is found to be a bit high strung and violent off the field? I'm not saying it's okay to break the law, but I'm also not the least bit surprised to see it happen with these guys knowing full well the level of trauma and intensity that goes into their profession.

Soldiers returning from war are known to act out against loved ones in virtually all the same ways, and the public seems to have a degree of pity for their plight?

If this sort of thing really makes you decide to not watch football anymore, or support the Vikings, then I would offer that perhaps you should've never started watching the game in the first place. These guys are the biggest, strongest, most energetic athletes on the planet. Things are bound to go haywire with a few of them from time to time. It is in the fundamental nature of the contest.

This might spark a bit more discussion! whistle

I find one of the troubling aspects of this thread are the folks who now refuse to watch football (or the Vikings) because of the recent events we're seeing in the media. Honestly? I would wager a guess that there are many, many more players, coaches, owners, managers, etc., within this sport alone that do much, much worse things then what AP got caught doing to his son. They just don't get caught, or the issues are never brought to the public eye.

Football is inherently a violent sport. It's a full contact, full speed, heavily padded, strategic attack. So why would anyone be so shocked and shaken when a player is found to be a bit high strung and violent off the field? I'm not saying it's okay to break the law, but I'm also not the least bit surprised to see it happen with these guys knowing full well the level of trauma and intensity that goes into their profession.

Soldiers returning from war are known to act out against loved ones in virtually all the same ways, and the public seems to have a degree of pity for their plight?

If this sort of thing really makes you decide to not watch football anymore, or support the Vikings, then I would offer that perhaps you should've never started watching the game in the first place. These guys are the biggest, strongest, most energetic athletes on the planet. Things are bound to go haywire with a few of them from time to time. It is in the fundamental nature of the contest.

Yep things happen, admit you are/were wrong, take your lumps, get the help you need to get a handle on your actions/emotions. Not seeing that happen here.

The hypocracy in this whole situation is that, from what I've recently read, the rate of reported family abuse cases is much higher in the general population than pro football population. What this means is the NFL appears to already be ahead of society in reducing the incidence of family violence among its active members. We can all do better but accepting nothing less than perfect behavior or zero incidents as failure is preposterous and ignores the reality we are actually human. Leave it to the media to feed on and fan flames on any and every indescretion of pro athletes. I'd be willing to bet the incidence of family member abuse is much higher in the media population than the NFL or of all pro sports for that matter. Next time Meredith Vieira or someone in that profession abuses or is abused lets all decend on them and boycott all news media until they 100% clean their houses from top to bottom.

Are you seriously wondering that? That's pretty silly. I think there are a lot more interesting things to wonder... like for instance...

what would happen if the earth and everything on it stopped rotating, but the atmosphere continued to rotate at the current pace?

or

what would happen if teddy bridgewater threw a pass at nearly the speed of light?

I often wonder if the moon was made cheese, what type it would be...like smoked gouda or goat cheese, but if it was goat cheese how did Neil Armstong walk on goat cheese; it seems a little too soft, but then I wonder if all the moon landing conspiracy theorists are right in that maybe we never did land on the moon...well guess we could have, but the moon is not made of cheese. Still makes ya wonder though.......

Yep things happen, admit you are/were wrong, take your lumps, get the help you need to get a handle on your actions/emotions. Not seeing that happen here.

YEah your dilusional debbie downer disease is pervasive and continues. Just because you dont see or believe it doesnt happen does not mean hasnt, cant, or wont.

YEah your dilusional debbie downer disease is pervasive and continues. Just because you dont see or believe it doesnt happen does not mean hasnt, cant, or wont.

Your relentless attacks are getting a bit old amateur. You need to give it a rest.

Quote:
NBA analyst Charles Barkley defended Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson on Sunday during an appearance on CBS’ “NFL Today.” Peterson turned himself in on Saturday after being indicted by a grand jury for reckless or negligent injury to a child for a May incident in which he struck his four-year-old son.

The Vikings announced that he was deactivated for Sunday’s game against the New England Patriots.

The CBS host Jim Rome asked Barkley if it’s okay to hit a child.

“I’m from the south. Whipping — we do that all the time. Every black parent in the south is going to be in jail under those circumstances,” said the retired NBA Hall of Famer.

Read more: http://www.kfan.com/articles/sports-top-...e#ixzz3DgxztlVG

Dude what is your problem? crazy

Peterson isn't fired and if a business has that language in their hiring and firing practices and an employee violated that provision it would result in the same decision. What does that have to do with the NFL that is collectively bargained between the players, their reps and the owners. The players by signing a contract agree to these stipulations. If they think there is a gray area maybe they should consult with their $600 an hour legal representative. Whether they want it or not these players are under a microscope 24-7 and should realize what they are doing, of course Peterson felt he did nothing wrong so there is that.

The hypocracy in this whole situation is that, from what I've recently read, the rate of reported family abuse cases is much higher in the general population than pro football population. What this means is the NFL appears to already be ahead of society in reducing the incidence of family violence among its active members.
So you are making the leap that because there are fewer "reported" cases (by rate or %) in the NFL as compared to the general population that the NFL is ahead of the curve?

Whoa, I am not too sure you will get much agreement on that.

The key to the whole stat is REPORTED. Ever think that potentially a significantly higher percentage of these situations go UNREPORTED in the NFL for fear of losing a significant source of income? Its quite easy to report the deadbeat that doesnt have a job and a drug addiction, but could be considerably harder to report someone who provides you the nice BMW, kids in private school and diamonds. All of which would instantly be gone if banished from the league.