• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Armor......Is it worth the money?

Mike Stark

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new to the site. I am 5'9" 185 pounds. Waist size for Levis is 32" Inseem 30" . After reading all the info on this site I have decided to go with the green/black plus. Looking for sizing suggestions as I am from Ontario/Canada and don't want to ship back if wrong size.

Thanks

As a 5'9" 180 lber, I went with Medium bibs and Large coat in AA Plus. Length is good for the bibs, and I got a Large coat as they said you need some air to move around your shoulder area. If you aren't too large in the gut, though, I'd say go with a Medium coat; I wish I had. For me the arms are a little long and the chest is little roomy.

On a side note; what do you do with the inner lining of the legs at the boots on your bibs? Do you put that inner liner inside or outside of your boots? Outside seems to make more sense and they have plenty of material to do so with. Just curious if it has to do with water getting up your legs if you go in and which one would work better.

I'm a 6' 190 lb Ontario, Canada, Canuck and have the camo version in medium for both the jacket and bibs .

Make sure you order the canuck sized version because it's for the best built, good lookin men . LOL

Mcgurk ,I wear the inner liner inside my boots and the outter stays outside . Personally I think this is the way to wear them to keep your legs dry if your stepping ito water that is over your boots . Honestly, though don't know if that is the correct way but it feels right ..LOL

TD

On a side note; what do you do with the inner lining of the legs at the boots on your bibs? Do you put that inner liner inside or outside of your boots? Outside seems to make more sense and they have plenty of material to do so with. Just curious if it has to do with water getting up your legs if you go in and which one would work better.

I put the inner lining on the outside of my boots. I don't think it would be comfortable on the inside (at least for the boots I have), and I suspect because of the velcro seam that it is meant to go on the outside (to accomodate going over larger boots). I suspect there are folks that wear it both ways though.

Help I just don't know what size to get!! I need to order TODAY!

I am 6'1" 245lbs I wear a size 36 Jeans 32 inseam and I wear XL hunting coats.

My wife took my measurements and they just don't sound right for the sleeve length and stuff.

I'm a pretty broad shouldered guy and I have a little extra insulation around the gut lol. I've actually been wearing 2XL Flannel shirts this winter and they fit me well but my current fishing coats are a Cabelas Down coat in XL and a First Down coat in XL and both fit well.

My Chest measures 43" but I'm sure my gut is just as big lol. I have long arms and the guide said to measure from center of the back, I measured 34" from between my shoulder blades with my arm out straight to my side but, the "proper" way to measure sleeve is with your arm bent, hand on the waist and measure from the neck to the wrist. It is much longer that way so I am just flabbergasted trying to figure this out.

stumpjumper, welcome to HSO.

I have a Camo AA in XL. I'm 6' 200 lbs, 34" waist and 34" inseam(pant size), 46" chest, and a wing span of 75". I have plenty of arm and leg lenght. Plenty of room in the shoulders and waist. That is taking into account that I also wear layers under the AA. Without layers it is almost too big but a Large is too small.

I would say an XL will fit you.

BTW, flannel shirts aren't a good indicator of size because they shrink. Eventually a 2X flannel shirt will fit me.

If you are on the fence of getting this suit, I would say get it!

I have never been more comfortable on the ice since I got mine. I was up on Red earlier this year and was able to stay on the lake for 10 hours in the -10s without a heater, only thing that was cold was my face and feet.

As far as size I would say go with one size smaller than you normally wear.

As far as Arctic Armor quality, I have found nothing that blocks the wind better, sat outside last winter in five degree weather with 25mph winds and stayed pretty warm.

I was just thinking about this thread in reference to a couple of stories I just read regarding recent ice related fatalities. My condolences to their family and friends. frown Very sad indeed and it's unfortunate that it takes such a tragedy to remind us all how unpredictable ice can be.

To me I really don't care that the suit might not breath as well as some, or that it costs a bit more. I know that every time I put my suit on, it might save my life.

Sure, I could wear a PFD, but to be quite frank, I don't want the extra bulk (especially early ice when you might be walking for long distances).

Too many times, people are trying to push/sell things because of the bottom line or their brand commitment and I can see why people get frustrated in reading all these reviews and not being sure what to believe, or what not to believe, but for what it's worth, I am on my 3rd season on my set, and for me the piece of mind (not just for me, but also my family) is priceless, and if added to that it is going to keep me warm too, then the choice is simple.

I would save the money and get a nice portable house that has a nice sled with a beveled edge...

My carhartt jacket and bibs keep me plenty warm, and I love my alpha ice king boots...combine that with a fish house that pulls nice on the ice, you shouldnt have to worry about the elements. I sit in my portable in a t-shirt...

However, I will say I do not think there is a better quality set of ice apparel out there. Still wouldnt spend the money they are asking for it though on that! I had a buddy tell me after he got his set "if you fish enough then you know how nice it is to have". I then said, I have fished every single day for the last 2.5 weeks, and my carhartts work just fine!

If you have the extra cash, go for it, but if money doesnt grow on trees for you, I would allocate it elsewhere.

Great post DTRO! The man who recently drowned on Lake Alexander near Randall is a family friend of mine. RIP Gary! I will be wearing Arctic Armor soon! The piece of mind for yourself and your family is priceless indeed!

A lot of this AA talk is obviousely geared toward ice fishing, but I fish in my boat until ice-up every fall, as soon as the ice goes off in the spring, and on the river all winter long. I wear my AA in my boat and LOVE it for that --- very lightweight and comfortable, and the flotation factor is just as important in open water when the water temps are that cold. I wear it ice fishing all winter long too.

AA floats - it makes it easier to recover the body! lol

As does any PFD. But they can also save your life!!!!

Your family will appreciate that fact if it sadly ever did come out that way.

I error on the side of caution and increase my odds by wearing my AA!

My wife didn't even raise her eyebrows at the price once I mentioned the Arctic Armor flotation characteristics.

One note on the AA Plus. The cut of the jacket sleeves is not generous at all, so you're limited if you want to get more than a layer or two under the jacket. My set is XL. Both fit great for me. The jacket fits great in the body, with plenty of room for underlayers, but the sleeves don't quite follow suit. I'd recommend for most guys going one size up from the bibs when you order the jacket for the AA Plus. smile

The flotation aspect of the AA doesn't impress me all that much. Yes it floats but the situation has to be just right for it to save your life, much less be a benefit. It provides some peace of mind but will it actually save your life? Not sure. It can't hurt though, only help.

If you fall in open water in the winter you have a serious situation on your hands whether you are wearing AA, a PFD, or nothing at all. If you are out by yourself and can't get back on the ice you are going to die either way. If you are with a buddy they are likely going to be able to get you out of the water either way...again the situation has to be just right for somebody to be able to say "AA saved my life". Hopefully none of us are ever in a situation like that in the first place.

Here are my thoughts on the AA suit and I looked it over very closely:

*Very light weight! I almost bought it for just this reason

*Comfortable!

*Floats!

*Everybody says they are VERY warm, everybody wouldn't lie!

*You get very warm and very light coat that could potentially save your life.

Cons:

*Kinda boring in the appearance dept - not very important but worth noting

*Cost

In the end, if I were on any type of budget I would (and did) opt for a different brand that I am VERY happy with. I thought AA was a better product than most of the others but not $150 better.

If money wasn't a factor I would go with AA.

I highly doubt that anybody purchasing AA would be disappointed...quality product.