• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Armor......Is it worth the money?

Mike Stark

Slupie you are a good example of what everyone needs to realize about body temp.

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT !

I would not even consider putting on my AA jacket unless it was colder then 20 degrees and the same goes for a hat or gloves, they are that warm to me.

When I purchased my AA,ice fishing was not the only season that I considerd wearing it. I wear it in the spring and fall as well. When we are fishing Lake Superior in the spring the water temps are only 36 to 38 degrees and if you fall out of the boat it will not take long to get hyperthermia.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read through a bunch of these but didn't notice any fitting experience similar to my specs, so I thought I'd share.

I'm 6'3", 215 lbs

I tried on all of the sizes and

Here is what fit the best

XXL Arctic Armor Bibs (the XL was ok with only dress pants on, but kinda short, XXL seemed more comfy all over especially if I have thermals on under.

XL Arctic Armor Parka - plenty big

XXL AA golves - just right

Sat on my bucket during the snowstorm yesterday in long underwear, jeans, sweatshirt and my new Arctic Armor camo suit, sweating the whole time. Floatation is a nice bonus, but the warmth is impressive in such a light suit. Although I did catch my suit a few times with the treble......

I bought the camo suit last year at reeds, and I love it. I was thinking of getting the jacket for my wife, as she likes to ice fish with me, and already has good bibs. would just the jacket alone be enough to float a person?

i liked that quote about reading the paper in arctic armor. I wear my arctic armor to run my dog in the field across from my townhouse. My neighbors must think im crazy dressed head to toe in matching gear. It allows me to stay out till the dog runs himself tired.

AA really looks good. I need new duck huning clothing so the camo will be my choice. I showed the wife the video of them floting around and she gave me the go ahead.

You wont be disappointed. The floating aspect got me the go ahead for running rivers with the snowmobile. Or maybe the running rivers got me the go ahead for the AA. Either way...

I'm curious if a person would be able to put the bibs on over jeans and expect to stay warm on the ice, or if I'd still need an insulating layer under them. I'm looking for something I can throw on over my pants after work without the need to change first.

Also, being 6'1" 180 lbs, would the large work, or would I need an xl. Wish I would have tried them on at the show now to test fit.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

That's how I do it with my AA bibs and I've been on the ice all day like that.

Everyone is different though.

Thanks Rick. I'm a pretty warm body, so your input is very helpful.

What do you think about the size? I'm pretty slender and would rather not swim in the bibs. A tall version isn't available, is it?

What do you think about the size? I'm pretty slender and would rather not swim in the bibs. A tall version isn't available, is it?

The bibs are very generous with the waist size, but there is an area for a belt or a wader belt to keep water out if it is too wide for you.

At 6'1" and 180 lbs you want a Large Arctic Armor suit. You could go swimming in an XL.

I wear 1 layer under my bibs unless it is extremely cold out .... either jeans or just poly-pro long underwear. If it's extremely cold out then I wear the jeans and the long underwear.

Thanks Rick. I'm a pretty warm body, so your input is very helpful.

If you are 6'1" and 180" the large Arctic Armor suit should work fine.

Click this link [ Arctic Armor ] to order yours today.

$160 for the jacket and another $180 for the Bibs = $240 + Tax. If you do get a set...stop smoking, stay away from Mr Heater and don't wear it to to any campfires!

May want to check that math wink Point well taken though.

$160 for the jacket and another $180 for the Bibs = $240 + Tax. If you do get a set...stop smoking, stay away from Mr Heater and don't wear it to to any campfires!
The flotation alone is worth that to me, especially with the ice this year!

I do like the suit, I have had it for 3 years now so I think I can be objective as I am past the buyers bias.

Pros: It is lightweight, has plenty of storge, plenty warm with jeans on bottoms, the tops require at least a fleece when windy or you will feel it on your back. Cons: It is extremely sensitive to heat. The first year I got a good melt hole over a sunflower heater. Had a tailor repair with fabric from AA (free by mail). The interior lining is very susceptible to fraying. This last season I had a tailor beef up fraying a inside edge of jacket. Also repaired a rip, the fabric is not like Carhart and will wear easier. Also stains, basically lot of auger exhaust oil stains. The insulation is somewhat stiff, not bad though.

Overall I do have to say I like the lightness and the float capability. I use it late October fishing Leech/Winnie/Mille Lacs and it is good on cold windy days. I check out other outfits in stores and the biggest thing that reinforces its not too bad is weight and the idea that Arctic Armor will float. Hope this helps.

I did stop smoking, have had no problems with AA near the Mr. Heater and never an issue at campfires. Considering I'm normally the campfire builder that's pretty good for Arctic Armor - going on three years with the current suit, I use it three seasons and no issues yet.