Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Snowmobilers and driveways

FYI driveway approaches are on the public right of way, you may not block them, or place anything that can injure someone. May a person park their own vehicle in their own driveway approach?
  3. New home construction.

I think they’re more looking at the footings requirement, aren’t they? Thus the reason for getting the poles below the frost line? Its the township’s responsibility to figure this out and you have the right to ask them to cite the code they’re following. I used to live in Isanti County and dealt with a building inspector from my township on the construction of my detached garage. Things weren’t very strict to say the least. We built everything by the current UBC code, so I’d suggest first getting a copy of the current version of that since this building will actually be your home. Don’t take unnecessary shortcuts to save a few bucks up front. You’ll eventually regret it. Reading your plans for the slab, it sounds pretty good. There are plenty of slab homes out there built the way you describe. What you don’t want is movement. I’m not an expert by any means but I think footings on your slab wouldn’t be a bad idea and sinking your poles that deep should be a requirement. If you don’t do footings, at least pour your slab thicker on the perimeter to hold it better. Your local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) can be more restrictive than code, but not less. So if it’s defined in the UBC, you have to do at least that much.
  4. Snowmobilers and driveways

I’ve personally been on both sides of this. Used to love getting as much air as possible over driveways but I never understood gunning it on the other side after crossing. I guess some are just mild adrenaline junkies. I quit doing that for one, because it’s illegal, and two, not safe if the homeowner happens to be leaving or getting the mail at the time. Now that I have a posted trail going over my driveway, I find it just rude, obnoxious and irritating to deal with 4 wheelers and sleds gunning it over the gravel and making ruts and eroding my base to the point of it being an expense to either plow and pack the class 5 back in place or spend the money to pave it. I hate having to bounce over two ruts with my trailers and whatever I’m hauling in them too. I think that’s the worst part for me. Either jump it or be mellow on the throttle the entire way over. I’ve seen trail groomers go around driveways before, making me wonder if that truly is a requirement or they were simply being courteous. But I agree with knoppers, they should not drag over the driveway. Maybe they think they’re taking the snow off for ya. Call the people responsible for the trail and ask them for suggestions.
  5. Today
  6. Thick ice, go to auger gas or cordless

If you want to get through ice fast and are going to re-tool for it completely, look at a Nils before making your final decision.
  7. Snowmobilers and driveways

I am fully aware of this as are most people.
  8. Snowmobilers and driveways

some people are bad apples that give the sport a bad name, I as a snowmobiler have respect for driveways. FYI driveway approaches are on the public right of way, you may not block them, or place anything that can injure someone. trail groomers actually do you a favor by knocking down the bank, to keep it level. unless your groomer was not well trained, they will not groom over your driveway.
  9. New home construction.

If code allows post frame for residential construction then by design you don't need a block foundation.
  10. Yesterday
  11. Thick ice, go to auger gas or cordless

Perfect that awnsers my question. Why spend $250 when I could spend $150 on a new lazer bit and cuts faster, it’s more durable but still about same weight and a chipper but. Really a no brainer. What are you seeing for drilling time with that 8 inch lazer?
  12. Thick ice, go to auger gas or cordless

From my experience one of my only complaints with the Kdrill is how slow it drills. It more than gets the job done but my laser 8” is faster.
  13. Thick ice, go to auger gas or cordless

So I’ve always fished 8 inch holes but really why? Most Anything can fit through a 6 inch hole anyway. I was thinking maybe for next season of getting a 6 or 8 inch I drill and putting it on my 1.5hp solo. Right now it’s about 24lb which is light but with the k drill it would be lighter yet. My question is would I be getting any more speed out of a k drill vs regular SM chipper bit? And then I can invest in a nice Milwaukee fuel and there we go.
  14. New home construction.

Hi there, new here. Found this place because of this older topic. We are planning a pole barn home on a slab. This is the 1st one in our township and the inspector seems unsure about the requirements for the slab "foundation" and insulation. When we started last year the old inspector said if the poles are through the frost level (42") you can just lay down a flat 4" slab. The new inspector seems to think it needs a foundation. Not finding much info online for this specific build. Plan as of right now. 4" radon pea gravel and barrier, 4" rock, 2" foam, heat tubes, steel mesh with 4" concrete over that. Someone here know the county (Isanti) spec for something like this? Township overrules county. Thanks. https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=376864&DisplayType=nested
  15. Snow cone on the roof vent

BB gun? Hows that for a 1st post?
  16. Snowmobilers and driveways

Ahh. Thanks for your story PRO-V. That’s what I’m trying to avoid. Plus it’s about 400 feet of hose to get to the banks...
  17. Mug shot

18. Snowmobilers and driveways

A couple years ago I just got done plowing my driveway with the wheeler. Along comes an adult snowmobiler with his kid following behind. Guy crosses driveway and stops on top of opposite bank. Then he guns his machine sending all the snow back in the driveway. This is not a trail, just random ditch riders. Well I was outside and saw him do it. I jumped in my truck and cut him off at a road crossing 2 blocks away. I jumped out and royally chewed his azz and told him what a bad example he was setting for the kid. I think he got the message. For awhile after that I sprayed water on the banks to freeze them. No respect, they wouldn't want you doing that to their driveway.
  19. Air Fryer?

@Jim Almquist How big was the larger Power Air Fryer and do you recall what those “easy monthly payment” were? I’m sure the one we saw was the small one and was $100 on the shelf.
  20. Air Fryer?

I bought the NuWave 6 qt brio a week ago. So far have used it to make onion rings and asparagus. It worked flawlessly for both. Frozen onion rings took 15 minutes at 400 degrees. The asparagus took 10 minutes at 375 degrees. I preheated the unit each time. It really seemed to seal the flavor in with the asparagus. Could not believe how good it was for store bought.
  21. Air Fryer?

I had to look up this thread before making our purchase. I saw the NuWave. Power Air Fryer and a Farberware. We went with the Farberware cuz it was the cheapest for experimenting. Got it on 400 for 25 minutes now to burn off the manufacturing residues. Looking forward to getting some chicken wings rubbed down and tossed in that baby!
  22. Thick ice, go to auger gas or cordless

As I write this I am on a ND lake with my kdrill and 750 ft in torque hammer drill. I have 5 amp/hr batteries and going through 28” of ice I am getting 20 or so holes per battery.
  23. Snowmobilers and driveways

I’m just cranky about my asphalt driveway. I’m on a state highway. Recently a couple Snowmobilers put up directional and yield signs on each side of the driveway entrance near the culverts. The traffic has substantially increased this year. I was so happy to have had the asphalt put down because I use a cane now and could keep it free of ice allowing me to get my own mail in the winter.....not this year. I’m afraid to have it plowed and cleaned. Not only do the snowmobiles pull the snow back onto the driveway making a new mess everyday, but I’m worried about the asphalt being damaged. They don’t mind digging up the grass so what’s to stop them from driving on it bare? To add insult, a groomer came by this week and groomed even the driveway. I read that guys don’t even drive on their own driveways but mines ok. I can look away from the jumping of my driveway as if you crash, it’s on you...you are disturbing my sleep going the excessive speed to jump it though. can someone help me out? I really don’t want an altercation. I feel if I fell on the ice they’d drive around me or just jump over me. Thanks in advance.
  24. Snowy Owl in the Metro

The big hawks I have been seeing around this winter, I think are redtails that are hunting metro pidgeons. I have not personally see the snowy owls myself.
  25. Thick ice, go to auger gas or cordless

For sure. The biggest reason I ever went electric was for cutting holes in the house. Dollar for dollar I don’t know if you can beat gas for cutting shear numbers of holes. The improvements made in the past couple years with the cordless drill set ups has been amazing though. If I had to buy electric again I’d give a good hard look in that direction.
  26. Thick ice, go to auger gas or cordless

Yeah that’s great but the piggy bank wouldn’t appreciate that I like the ion I’ve used before them before there nice but can’t justify spending $600 on an electric when I could just by a SM lazer pro and drill as many holes I want. I like electric but amount of holes on a charge is tough to come by without spending a $1000.
  27. Sometimes they’re so pretty you don’t wanna clean em. I appreciate seeing the pics with clean, dry plumage. They’re too quick in flight for me to get the full view!
  28. Thick ice, go to auger gas or cordless

You might get 25-30 holes out of one charge on 40 V Ion in these ice conditions but I wouldn’t count on any more than that.
  1. Load more activity

• Members

• delcecchi

delcecchi 1,833

we are 'the leading edge' I Share on HSO
    • wide 8

wide 8 0

we are 'the leading edge' I Share on HSO
    • Surface Tension

Surface Tension 110

we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators
    • Slabasaurus