• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brush with Greatness

Duffman

I have a brush with greatness everytime I get together with my wife's family. My wife's uncle is President Charles Logan on 24.

The next one is not mine but a funny brush with greatness from my cousin. It was her first day working in a hospital drawing patients blood for different blood tests. So she is a little nervous it being her first day and she is having to stick people with needles. So her lab gets a call that they need someone to draw blood from a patient. Her boss sent my cousin up to do her first blood draw ever not knowing who the patient was. My cousin walks into the room and guess who's left arm she is expected to draw blood from.... JOHAN SANTANA. She politely asked for someone else to do it since she didn't want her first patient ever to be someone with a multi million dollar arm.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Washington 3 years ago on my wifes business trip. I started to cross the street by the Wasington Monument when someone yelled at me to step back. 10 seconds later the presidential motorcade came by a few yards from me.

I also was walking out of a parking ramp right in front of Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor and held the door open for him. He said thanks.

One last one, my sister was in St Cloud and heard excuse me and felt the humongous hand of Scott LeDoux on her arm. I was glad she at least know who he was.

Oh yeah, I was at a funeral about 6 years ago that Tim Pawlenty was at. I've got a realtive in state politics.

DD

Back in college, I worked for Allied Van Lines in the Cities driving truck. We moved furniture, commercially & residential.

When Clem Haskins was fired as the U of M head basketball coach, guess who drew the short straw to move his stuff out of his offices at the U. Me. smile.gif

It was a pretty awkward as he'd just been canned and we're moving him out. Would have been better to meet him under different circumstances.

Also in college, I worked in the concessions warehouse at the FargoDome in Fargo, ND and had many close calls with just about every touring band & musician in the late 90s that came to Fargo. The one memorable time was bumping into Garth Brooks in the loading dock area as we were moving kegs around. "Hey, you got one for me!" was about all he said. As a college kid, he was speaking my language. smile.gif

I worked at Crested Butte Ski Resort in Colorado back in '94-95 and I loaded President Carter and his wife onto a chairlift several times.

Hanson emailed me once about fishing cats on the Horseshoe Chain. grin.gif

Working at dealerships over the years, I have worked with a lot of wrestlers. Jonny Nord, Berry Darwso (black top bully) Tony Danuchi. I also have helped out many Vikings, Birk, Red Macombs, Williams and other's I have forgot about. I have also worked a couple times with Tommy Barnard and his wife (when they lived in Dayton).

Also used to help out x-pock at Linc. dealer I worked at.

I know there are many more, but to many beers over the years. I forget. grin.gif

Quote:

I was at the MOA one time when the All American Sports Bar was there.

Went to use the bathroom and there's 7-10 guys just standing around, another guy on a stool using the urinal.

Yep.

Mini-Me.

He didnt just pee in the corner like he did on VH1????

Back in the late 80's, there was a bar in Fargo called Cactus Jack's, and it was hooked up with a bowling alley. Anyway, one afternoon we were skipping class bowling a few frames, and right next to us in the bowling alley was the band playing CJ's that night...it was Foghat...

That is about as close as it gets for me...

Last year during slabfest I spent the weekend in a cabin with Sheepheadslayer, TTfromBlaine, Deitz Dittrich and his dad, Harvey Lee, Paul Waldowski, Cheffrey, and Surface Tension. It was, um, er, ah.......educational, but we ate real well. grin.gif

My dad was good friends with Tom "Showtime" Hoover and even worked for him from time to time. Through their friendship I spent a lot of time with Tom and many other NHRA greats. I especially appreciate the time Don "The Snake" Prudhomme spent with me when I was a kid. Both Don and Tom are high quality class acts.

When I was a teenager myself and a couple other dudes got the opportunity to tour the Calypso and then go diving with Jacques Cousteau, his son Jean Paul, and their crew in Lake Superior. I had been diving for a few years prior to that but that was my first time diving in Superior. That ranks in the top 5 cool things I've done in my life.

I once rode the elevator with Jose Canseco and his twin brother when I think they were both with the A's and they were in town to play a series against the Twins right during the pennant race of '91. We stayed in the same hotel as the A's. Jose was just what you'd expect a real no-class act...

Reggie Jackson sat in the seat next to me at a Twolves-Sacramento playoff game at the Traget center a few years back. He is a great guy. We chatted during many of the time outs and stops in play. The coolest part was that he reached out to shake my hand and asked me what my name was.

Well, I gotta share this fourth of july with ya'll, In Seward NE.

Denny Brauer was there and i am a good friends with his nephew so I spent some good time around him. And i got a denny brauer wheaties box signed, with some lures.

John Ritchie, former NFL fullback for the raiders and eagles,Most recognized for pictures like this.... p1_ritchie.jpg

He stayed next toour cousins, and we helped him light off his 5000 dollars of fireworks. Great Guy! My favorite saying of his is"keep on keeping on"

Quote:

i went fishing with cody and cael sanderson a few years back. i used to work with his wife at the ames pizza hut. the guy is about my size and he is a 4 time national champ and olympic gold medalist. nice guy too.

Cael is not only a four time college national champion, but the guy never lost a single solitary match in his entire college career. His career is probably one of the top five greatest individual achievements in sports history if you ask me.

Quote:

Cael is not only a four time college national champion, but the guy never lost a single solitary match in his entire college career. His career is probably one of the top five greatest individual achievements in sports history if you ask me.

His college career anyway.

HMMMMMM

Ive bumped into Dennis Rodman in Vegas.

Shook mark mcgwires hand.

Crossed Paths with Cuba Gooding Jr at disneyland.

Said hi to Jackie Joyner Kersey.

Met and talked to Gen. Chuck Yeager (best pilot in the history of the universe) on many occasions. By way of USAF service.

Bunch more, maybe I'll edit later.

Quote:

Cael is not only a four time college national champion, but the guy never lost a single solitary match in his entire college career.

if i remember correctly, he lost early his true freshman year and was redshirted thus negating his record. not trying to take anything away from his awesome record, just pointing that out.

When I was a high school senior, I was kind of a jock. So my principle new Rod Carew real well so he took me and a buddy over to his house to meet him. Got a signed ball and got to see all of his silver bats and trophy room. Was a nice guy to us.

93-94 was at sensors sports bar and saw Frank Viola there with a group of people so we decided not to bother him but latter I was in the mens room stall and when I came out there was Mr. Viola at the urinal doing his deed and he kind of looked around at me and said "hey they got t.v.s in the wall in here." I Didn't bother trying to shake his hand..

Also was at a menards fourth of july party where they had their indy drivers there signing autographs when one of the guys i was with whose last name was Cheever introduced himself to eddie cheever the driver, Eddie stood up hugged him and told him that he never met another cheever anywhere else in all of travels.. Pretty cool moment!!!

when i had my auto repair shop, TK tom kelly and

his family were customers. mostly dealt with his

wife, but one day he came in with a/c problems.

every othere word out of his mouth was the F bomb!

and of course he had his stogie fired up! nice guy

though.

randy aka bbqhead