• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rut Activity?

Is this sign you all are seeing as you're going back and forth to your stand? I always thought it was best to walk minimally in my hunting area so as not to disturb the deer that are or will be there. I haven't seen any sign yet, but I haven't walked any of the trails I do in the summer because I'm hoping not to scare the deer away. Last year I did end up seeing some scrapes and rubs from my stand, but that was the first time that ever happened.

For me it's just observations made while walking to and from my stands that are already set. Last weekend my helping the Landowner required me to skirt the edge of the bedding area I'm set up near, which I normally don't ever like to walk through or even let my scent drift through. I fulfilled my obligation last thing before heading home and wasn't planning on being back for at least two weeks.

Shoulda went fishing or bird hunting last weekend and will be doing that this weekend. I don't plan to be back in the stand before the 26th.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a week & a half away from all heck breaking loose! This is what we wait for all year!

Yes Sir! I have been saving my vacation days and have stayed out of my really good funnels spots. Getting a little bit excited just typing this!

I walked into an area yesterday morning I have been scouting for the youth hunt. On my way in, I saw 5 scrapes that all were partly covered with leaves. We left the woods about 9am and returned at approx 3:30 or so. All the scapes were opened up so I am sure a buck was checking while we were at home.

Last week I found a couple scrapes but this week, double the scrapes, I do not believe the rut is too far off, maybe 2 weeks at the most.

Going to try and rattle one in later today for my granddaughter.

Thanks Scoot.

With the rain, snow and cold forecasted for tomorrow, I am leaving much sooner this afternoon. Was planning on 4 but now about 2-2:30 so we can be there a bit sooner if they do decide to feed earlier.

Looking at the forecast, this evening looks to be the last sit for this hunt as the weekend does not look pretty if the weatherman is correct.

Clint is taking her out tomorrow in the am if needed. Hoping they can sleep in tomorrow after our hunt this aft.

Not much happening up north (west of duluth). I havent been out the past few days so im hoping when I go out tomorrow I will see some more sign. Alot of does moving around me. Set up around a few different doe bedding areas now. I set cameras up over some mock scrapes so hopefully I will have a good update for you guys.

Is this sign you all are seeing as you're going back and forth to your stand? I always thought it was best to walk minimally in my hunting area so as not to disturb the deer that are or will be there. I haven't seen any sign yet, but I haven't walked any of the trails I do in the summer because I'm hoping not to scare the deer away. Last year I did end up seeing some scrapes and rubs from my stand, but that was the first time that ever happened.

I do the majority of my scouting in the middle of the day when the deer should be in thier bedding areas. With that said, I did have scrapes re-opened during the day on Thurs of this week.

I wear good scent free hunting boots and when I do my scouting, I try to not touch any branches or anything in the woods and I try to stay away from thier bedding areas.

In woods I know, I do not go on the trails when it is close to the rut but If I am going to change woods or locations late in the season, close to the rut. I try to scout quickly and do it mid day. Yes, one could bump a roaming buck but that is the chance you take to get yourself set up in the correct area. One can bump a deer at any time in the woods so I simply do it the best I can and then hope for the best.

Getting a topo maop for the area you are going to scout will also help some in regards to knowing where to scout and where to stay away from.

I also try to scout using the wind to my advantage so my scent does not blow the direction of thier bedding area.

Hunted Nisswa area for the past 3 days- not much moving during the day. Deer we did see were bedded down. Located a small area that had 5-6 fresh scrapes which excited me- hunted one evening close to a particular scrape with no action. Perfect morning hunt today until the snow made it too wet to sit w/o rain gear.