• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rut Activity?

This morning I had 10 does/fawns filter past me from the fresh cut corn field to thier bedding area. No bucks yet but a few scrapes have now showed up. I'm pretty sure the farmer will plow the field this weekend so that will change thier pattern a bit. I am busy all weekend so won't get back in the woods until Monday afternoon frown

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be an amazing weekend to be in the woods!!!!

I hope he's either wrong, or it continues to be amazing next week & the following weekend. Tomorrow morning's likely to be my only sit of the weekend. Mom turned 70 yesterday, have some festivities to attend to.

My trail cams show that the younger bucks are chasing the does around. Unfortunately, its at night. No movement during the day, yet!

I also found a couple small scrapes on the way to a stand.

I'll be in the woods tomorrow. It's heating up, ladies and gents!

Sat last night in the mach 1 winds and had 2 bucks come by at 6pm. Both were together which suprised me but the corn was getting combined close to the woods so they must have been pushed out at the same time.

14 yards away when I heard a branch crack. Got turn around but could not get a clean shot. Had the 8 standing 12 yards away but I would have had to shoot through some brush and then thread the needle and shot between 2 trees about 6 inches apart. The second buck was even nicer but could not count points as I was trying to whack the one I thought I may have had a shot at.

This woods has bucks but so far, next to no rut activity that I have noticed.

Also saw 1 other long before dark and was very suprised they moved so early in the wind we had.

I have not hunted this woods for 3 weeks and still no sign of rubs or scrapes. Other woods I took my grandaughter for the youth hunt 5 miles away was full of rut activity, that was last week.

Going to the woods I hunted last night to check for some rut activity as there has to be some as there are bucks in this woods as I have had 4 different ones on the camera.

I maybe in the wrong area of the woods for sign but I do have bucks traveling through the area so, still should be able to ambush one.

We postponed our out of town hunt from this weekend to next to try to maximize our chances of hitting the early part of the rut - hopefully they get going. It is finally feeling like hunting weather!

I've started at least seeing deer out and about around home in daylight hours and the landowner down south says the deer have been kicking more in the last week too. Pretty soon I'll start seeing the nice bucks crossing the roads on my drive to and from work. smile

You may hit it perfect in a week or so. Things are slow but there are a few moving.

From what I have been seeing and have been told my others in the woods, it is a bit early yet this weekend. A week more and it could start to fire up some of the bucks a bit more than now.

Going out in an hour or so to put up a couple more climber's in the woods I hunted last night so I can hunt no matter what direction the wind is blowing as it is about time to get the job done and whack a deer.

Just did a little scouting. Found a couple fresh scrapes, one may be from the morning as there were only 2 leaves in it.

Last Saturday in hanging a new set in a different woods I found a large scrape about 50 yards from my spot. I haven't found any fresh rubs though which does seem a bit weird.

Had a buck grunting at me tonight. Got too dark, I could hear it but couldn't see it. Saw a doe on the field walking out, she took off, assuming the buck was with her. Trail cams completely shut off. I got very few pics of deer in general.

Ran into a really fresh scrape in a pinch point tonight so I decided to set up on it.

Long story short, I had a real nice sized deer come in but hung up just far enough out I couldn't make sure if it was a buck or not. After 15-20 minutes of watching it's ears flicking and nose testing the wind, a couple does came in from another direction and turned to head toward the first deer. I couldn't pass up the 15 yard shot on the nice doe that stopped in my lane.

She's the first deer I shot with a 2 blade rage and she didn't make it far. smile

I was hoping the wind would die down a little earlier than it did. There was a fresh scrape just to the side of the tree where one of cameras are hung, I have no idea how he made a scrape and never got set the camera off, must have came up from the side. Giving that stand a break for a week.

Just got out in the stand. Hopefully sleeping in will pay off for the afternoon hunts. Sounds pretty quiet this morning. Saw 4 little bucks friday night chasing does. Nothing yesterday morning. took last night and this morning to off to make momma happy!

I've been hunting about 10-12 evenings near New Prague. Haven't seen a deer yet.

I did have a doe and two fawns on the camera from 5:45 this morning, which is my first confirmed deer sighting on this land this season. Still lots of corn in the area, much of which will be gone by next weekend, I would think.

Sat both yesterday morning and this morning. Not one single deer to be seen. Hopes were low yesterday but I was sure this morning everything was perfect. Sat from 7:00-10:15 and all I saw was squirrels. Did some bleating, grunting and rattling, nothing doing. Maybe all the corn in my area still?

Shot a doe Thursday night around 5:30, then at 6:00 had a big buck come through that I almost got a shot at but no such luck. He's the type of buck that I only see once things start picking up so that was a good sign. He was walking away from me at 50 yards and I stopped him with the rattle bag, then got him to come my way with a grunt call but he hung up in the brush at 30 yards and all I could see were his legs. He made a scrape and stood there for a while. I thought I was golden when a doe came from the same general vicinity and walked right under my stand but she didn't draw him with her and he eventually went the other way.

Still nothing for scrapes or rubs that I've seen and only one deer seen today.

This guy made a couple of scrapes before I put an arrow through him. No brow tines on him so only a 6 but a big bodied deer. Dressed out 195. Hunted Ripley this weekend but shot this one on public land Friday night.

buck2013_zpsd9078642.jpg