• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rut Activity?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Activity here in Fillmore County is pretty darn slow this weekend. I've noticed a few new rubs and some half hearted scrapes but this definitely looks and feels like the "Lull".

I posted the above comment at the truck at the top of the bluff before going to put out some posted signs for the Landowner. Putting out the signs where he wanted them required me to go through the bottom area by where my #1 stand has been. I went on into the bedding area on the trail I've been watching and I found the mother lode of scrapes. Old ones, fresh ones, but mostly BIG ones. Wow! It's the hub.

I'd love to hunt a little closer to it but the winds are so tough in the bottom. They're usually the opposite of the top and change around from 90 degree scent cones on a calm day to 360 degrees on breezy days. Crazy tough to hunt it. I know I should stay away and hunt the fringe like I have been doing, but man is that spot tough to resist. The best way I could make of it is to set a ground blind on the other side of the dry run another 70 yards away and camp out during the gun season on a calmer day.

Did I mention three of the main trails leading into it have big apple trees?

Spent all day Saturday up in the deer woods by Hackensack. Found two small rubs and that was it. Spots that are normally heavy with rubs and scrapes haven't seen a thing. Still TONS of foliage on the trees yet. Seems more like mid September than mid October.

Hunted Cannon Falls area yesterday with a buddy and found only one fresh rub (from the small 8 pt. on the camera)and only one small scrape after checking most of the property.

I did put out a "Sticknstring Mock Scrape" grin and hope to have a chance to check it on Wednesday. I'm seeing more daytime doe activity on the cameras but the buck activity has slowed on my trail cams.

Is this sign you all are seeing as you're going back and forth to your stand? I always thought it was best to walk minimally in my hunting area so as not to disturb the deer that are or will be there. I haven't seen any sign yet, but I haven't walked any of the trails I do in the summer because I'm hoping not to scare the deer away. Last year I did end up seeing some scrapes and rubs from my stand, but that was the first time that ever happened.

Saw 2 bachelor groups of bucks with 4 bucks in each group in the last 3 days. On the other hand, I've seen half dozen small scrapes and a dozen or more rubs in a 3 mile area. Deer activity has been much more active in the last couple days as well. Though I think it has a lot to do with the corn coming off in areas.

Last night I sat on a field point. Had does/fawns on one side of the field and a small group of small bucks on the other side. they eventually fed toward each other but showed no interest or signs of pre-rut activity. The normal field edge scrapes are not there yet either.