• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rut Activity?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have quite a few scrapes and rubs started to pop up about 2-3 weeks ago had a bunch of pictures at this time. The past ttwo weeks everything has shut off not many pictures or deer sightings weird october hope it picks up for the next week before firearms season

Hunted this evening doe and two fawns hung out under me from 5-5:30 and a 4 pointer came in behind them. When the does walked away he did not seem interested and turned and headed the other way, wish he would have been bigger. Nice to watch deer for 30 minutes when there 5 yards away from you, makes the night enjoyable.

Had a buck watch me get dressed at the truck while it was still dark this morning, I could see him faintly at about 50 yds with my headlamp. Right at first light I could hear some sticks breaking and a buck grunting but never actually seen him, that was about it, the corn is still up where I'm at also I wish they would take it down.

Seen 3-4 rubs and 2 scrapes all within 40 yds of my stand, I was outty by 9:30am because the wind was hammering me, got down and made 3 mock scrapes and took a nice leak in all of em.

Overall it seems kinda slow for this time of year but with gun season starting about a week later then normal it will make up for it.

Duluth area. Hunting an intensive harvest area. One doe as I reported near the opener and a fawn doe two weeks ago. Finally started seeing rubs, but no scrapes. Wind is killing me. Got whiffed by a real mature doe last night at 45 yards. She never saw me. Sniffed the air twice, stomped her foot, turned back the way she came and never threw up her tail. Smart. At dark another large doe came 40 yards out, stopped, and began eating acorns until it was too dark to see. I am seeing good doe movement (almost pegged two on the way to work) but not anything during the day for bucks. Should start real soon. Let's hope this wind slow's down to a breeze. I'm getting pretty beat up in the tree. BC

Have still been getting some pics on my trail cam, but everything has been moving in the middle of the night. Sat Friday afternoon and didn't see anything. Got down a few minutes before dark to check the area. Found a couple new rubs, but that was about it. Very limited sign. Even spots where there are scrapes every year have nothing. Hoping they start kicking into high gear this week as I took Wed, Thurs and Friday off to hunt.

Did check an alfalfa field on the way out and there was buck and two does out in the field eating. If I was in the other stand, they would have come right past me......how it usually goes! laugh

Had a busy weekend for deer activity. Heard one grunt and 2 were fighting Friday night. Saturday saw some during the daylight but not a good shot.

Sunday morning was slow and last night was busy to say the least. Got in my stand about 3:50 and done by 4:30, saw 6 and took a nice mature doe as it gave me a perfect shot. Had been seeing numerous bucks moving during the weekend but I have never had a good clean shot at any off them.

I was suprised to say the least at the amount of deer I saw since the woods I am hunting has corn on all 4 sides and it is only a 5 acre woods.

I saw a buck or more every sit but one this weekend and was out every morning or evening. From what I saw, they are starting to move the does around a little bit but nothing that one would say they are going hard by far.

Should mention that on my way to the stand, a small 8 pointer crossed the road in front of me, nose to the ground. Today a coworker came in, knowing I'm a hunter, he mentioned to me that on his way to work a large buck ran in front of him, again, nose to the ground. It is starting, but most of it is still occurring at dark.

Scrapes and rubs really starting to show up in Otter Tail Co. 2 by my stand were refreshed daily.

Had a small 3point literally standing by my ladder steps below my stand and his 2.5 y.o. 8 point counterpart milling around 20' behind me yesterday... till the wind swirled a little. That 3 point looked like he stepped on dyanmite! The 8 point had no idea what was going on! then they tore outta there across a pond... looked like two jet skis! Granted they were both young, but still surprised they were running together.

Thought maybe I found my scrape makers, but checked them on the way out and they did not hit them... left early afternoon. Going to hit it a few days prior to the gun season.

Saturday night saw one nice buck in oat stubble feeding with 9 does. He did not look like he was interested in anything but a mouthful of green.

Seen some does and not once was there a buck trailing them. I think we are on the very front side of the rut.

Good Luck!

Ken

Can't speak for mn but nd is right on the brink of seeking/chasing. Lots of scrape activity with a little bit during daylight. Most of the bigger bucks have swollen necks. Had a decent 8pt in at 60 yards last night til a fawn blew through and spooked him off.

The #1 way to tell if they are really moving is when you start seeing them splattered every where along the roads.

Yeah, its starting. I'm starting to see road kills around the Cities, West and North mostly.

Nice buck you got there, Bear! Congrats.

dead buck and doe on the road. grrrr. hwy 23 vehicles get a lot of the deer where I hunt. one chunk of woods has 3 nice bucks and lottsa scrapes. 1/2 mile away 2 nice bucks and no scrapes.. wierd. some dandy rubs tho. gonna be some battles out there soon.