• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2011 Archery Log

tracker x-2

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out last night for the first time. I hunted a new piece of land I just got permission for and sat on a field edge. I don't normally hunt edges like this but there are an unbelievable amount of trails in the woods and I was hoping to narrow choices for stand sites. Had around 15 does and fawn come out of the woods 200 yards across from me and feed. Had a spike and fawn come out downwind of me and feed to about 30 yards. The spike had some kind of a death wish. After finally winding me he walked away and came back 4 different times. He had spikes about 12-14 inches long and they curved forward. It looked like a basket 6 with no tines on it. First one I've seen like that. It was a fun first time out. I was hoping to see where his older brothers were moving and even though I saw them out there earlier in the week they didn't show.

The gf and i made it out saturday morning on some public land, didnt hunt long lots of duck hunters shooting near us all morning, and when we decided to pack up cause it was a waste there was a guy standing in the middle of the field we were in about 100 yards out.

Went Friday morning after work. Walking to my stand about 6am, probably about 40 yards away, I hear a deer snort and take off into the woods. Around 615a, I hear a deer coming through the woods right at me. Wanders around my stand, then takes off. Could just see its outline, still not sure what it was. Around 8, I decide its about time to get down, gotta get some sleep. I decide to click the antlers together before getting down. Not 30 seconds after a few ticks, I have a small 8 coming on a dead run to me. Stops 10 yards away, and you can tell is looking for those "bucks" fighting. Doesn't see anything, so he starts to much on some acorns. About 10 mins later a fawn comes out of the woods. The buck see the deer, probably still thinking about the rattling he hears and starts to head towards the fawn, antlers down, swaying back and forth. Finally realizing its a fawn he backs off and disappears back into the woods. Pretty cool moring, first buck I've can say I rattled in for sure. Still holding out for the big boys!!

Went out yesterday and decided to set up on a ground stand a few rows into a corn field, its in kind of a funnel with clover planted with no trees around, plus the way the corn is going out, that spot won't be available for long. Nice evening, little breeze to keep me cool, watching the sun filtering thru the trees, watching the sun go down, saw some deer ears thru the brush. Pretty soon a fawn feeds out into the open about 30 yards, grazing like a cow. Then he starts walking toward me - but then he spots me, guess I broke down too much corn to make shooting lanes. Then the doe comes walking around the brush, at first she wasn't concerned but then she saw the fawn acting up and picked me out. She sat there for five minutes snorting, stomping her front feet, pacing toward me, running away, then pacing and stomping toward me. At one point she was within 15 yards! Eventully she ran back the way she came. Never saw another deer.

Picked the right spot but wrong execution.

went out last night and got busted by a really big buck - my stand is in some thick cover within sight of a couple rubs and scrapes - but he crossed the logging road at a point I wasn't expecting, and the truck was parked right there. He didn't like it. 3 loud snorts and he was gone

Went out to another spot tonight and was just about ready to climb down when 4 does and a spike appeared like magic under my stand. Got to love that last 5 minutes of shooting light... I shot a smaller doe and she went maybe 25 yards, cartwheeled, and keeled over. Man those muzzy's are solid.

My dad and I where out last night and didnt see a darn thing moving. i did pull the trail cam from by my stand, One shooter buck and a few does and smaller bucks and one yote. SO there still there.

I just pluged in the smoker to start preparing some jerky while im out this am grin

Things have returned to normal in my area. After seeing deer 9 out of my first 10 sits, I've since gone 0-4. Too much good food on surrounding properties right now. As much as I'd love to see the corn stay through gun season, I wouldn't mind them picking it early to get some action!

I was hoping for a doe last night but had a little 6 point in front of me for over a hour last night. Little guy bedded down and took nap for a while then got up and decided feed under my tree. I had to chase him away to get out of there at dark, hopefully I gave him a little education before the rifle season.

Need help guys I was out hunting this morning with my wife, looking to fill her tag, and had a buck come by at 15 yards broadside, I put the pin right behind his shoulder and touched off a shot it looked good, he lunged forward at the hit and took off with his tail down. I waited 15-20 mins. before looking for blood and my arrow. Right at impact I find a couple of white hairs and nice red blood but no arrow. I walked back to my car and then went back in to find my arrow (maybe 45 mins after the shot). I find it 10 yards down the trail, with blood the whole way, I'm thinking good I got him, I tracked him for another 75 yards to a point where he stopped, and there is blood all over on both sides and maybe 2 feet off the ground on some branches. At this point I can't find anymore blood so I start circling the area and pick up a couple little drops, here and there, enough to track him another 50-60 yards only to jump him. This is a good 1 1/2 hours after the shot, I decied to back out and let him lay down, he looked hurt bad when we jumped him, and he had his tail down the entire time, and was hunched up a little. Do you think that I shot low and hit his brisket? There was no indication of a gut shot when I smelled the arrow, or in any of the blood.

I'm going to head back out around 3:00pm to look again, just makes we sick to think that I wounded one that I might not find.

Here's a picker of my arrow.full-23988-13096-img_1249.jpg

full-23988-13097-img_1250.jpg

Probably a liver shot...judging by your description of the events. The blood doesn't look like liver blood but hard to tell. The good news is a liver shot deer will always dies..as will a gutshot deer. It just takes time. 3:00 is the earliest I'd go back, assuming you shot him at 8:00 that's 7 hours... but a good 3-4 hours of daylight left to find him. Good thing you backed out when you jumped him, that was smart. A low briskit shot that buck probably wouldn't have bedded within 150 yards..but ya never know...

good luck and hope you find him.. get a couple buddies to help. Makes a difference.

to me tail down and lunging forward says liver or close to it. Especially given how he bedded down. You should wait at least 6 hours, prob more since you jumped him. I'd say 8 to be really sure. I had a deer get away from me because we went in (liver shot btw) 6 hours after the shot and jumped him, he ran a mile and never found him, despite a great original blood trail and 3 separate bed-downs

Had a fun morning, slow to start off. 830 a doe and fawn coming my way feeding on leaves about 12 yards from me, took a pic of the doe as they finally wandered off. 945 a spike and a 4 pointer go running past at 50 yds together. 10 am a lone doe comes running thru exactly where the 2 bucks ran except she was goin the other way. 1005 the 2 bucks come trotting / walking 15 yds from me mouths open and panting, chasin that doe im guessing. so all in all it was a good morning, seeing 5 deer and 2 bucks chasing that doe around. waiting for mr. big to start cruisin for doe's. gonna try for a doe tonight in the city hunt for some freezer meat.