• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2011 Archery Log

tracker x-2

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found my doe from last night, she didn't go anywhere, just like I figured. First arrow went right through the center of her liver, second arrow through the stomach. Glad I took that second shot, not much of a blood trail and if she had gone more than she did I likely would have lost her in the tall grass in the river bottom I was hunting. Nice and cool last night, she didn't bloat or stink at all until I ripped what was a little hole in her stomach into a big hole. Full of half-digested acorns, and I shot her when she was going back for more.

Josh_Doe_WI.jpg

glad you found her!

regular bow opener here in Virginia this morning... I grabbed my climber from one spot I hadn't seen anything in the mornings (there was a small 6 point under it when I went to take it down predawn...

then went to a promising spot. a few minutes after I'm settled get a text from my buddy saying he needs help finding an 8 point he shot at first shooting light, and he's about 20 miles from me... went and found it then dragged it up half the mountain. talk about work...

Yea no sweat, I didn't expect her to go anywhere based on what I saw through the binocs when I backed out last night. Got the meat deboned and in the fridge now. Going to be warm up here today and a lot warmer tomorrow. I'll chase some waterfowl in the morning.

Saw one decent buck tonight.

Watched a little hawk make a run at a flicker twice tonight. After the flicker left the area the hawk then made a run at my head. Glad I glanced over in time. He was probably 10 feet from my head when I flinched and he veered off. grin

Saw one decent buck tonight.

Watched a little hawk make a run at a flicker twice tonight. After the flicker left the area the hawk then made a run at my head. Glad I glanced over in time. He was probably 10 feet from my head when I flinched and he veered off. grin

I don't mind the little hawks so much but those big owls scare the t urds right outta me, just the thought of those big hooked talons digging into my face ouch.

Daughter and I went out for the evening sit tonight.

I saw nothing, but the tone in her voice after seeing a doe and fawn up close was priceless.

This is her 1st year and I am at a point where I don't even care about the harvest this year for me!

My wife and daughter are bringing a whole new love to the sport!

Wife is on her 3rd year, and has not been able to close the deal yet! the passion is still there!!

Just waiting for my son-in-law to get back home from out of state work so us guys can go "put some down!"

Had my first archery sit of the year last night, and it turned out to be a nice one. Went to a spot that I had been eye-balling on aerial maps for the last several months, figuring it to be a good spot...it is about 40 acres of oak trees, surrounded on all sides by 8-15 year old aspen that is as thick as can be. Lots of deer trails going in and out of the area, and it is only accessible by a 15 minute walk down an ever-dwindling old logging trail, probably even too narrow and rugged for an ATV these days.

I was in my stand at about 4:30, and in less than 10 minutes, I had a large bodied spike buck eating acorns directly under me. If it had been much later in the season, I definitely would have let an arrow fly, as he was one of the biggest bodied spikes I have ever seen. After watching him for a minute or two (he hung out for about 10 minutes), I saw two does about 35 yards away, also picking up acorns. The leaves were still a bit thick, and neither one ever offered a shot.

At 6:15, after being in a sitting position for about an hour, I decided it was time to stand for the rest of the evening. I stood up, looked behind me and saw another doe picking up acorns less than 10 yards away. She had no idea I was there. I grabbed my bow and waited for her to step into an opening that I figured to be about a 7 yard shot. As she stepped in, I was at full draw, but hadn't noticed that my peep sight didn't open all the way. I leaned around the peep and let the arrow go. I knew I hit her hard, but wasn't 100% of the location. She ran about 40 yards and bedded down within eye sight. I couldn't bring myself to sit there for however long it took for her to do whatever she needed to do, so at 7:00, I climbed down, and as I hit the ground, she got up and scampered off.

I brought my stuff to the truck, and snuck back for a peek. I was assuming a gut shot, as the blood on the arrow was full of food debris and brown colored, so I felt very uncertain about finding her...I fully expected to go back in the morning, but just had to see what sort of blood she left in her bed. I tiptoed to where I saw her last, found a nice pool of dark red blood, and saw her laying dead about 35 yards off in the brush! My shot went on the abdomen side of the ribcage, but the wound channel left by the Rage broadhead was devastating.

Now it's time to see what sort of other bucks use this area! Good luck to everyone else the rest of the season!

#2 Bonus tag filled at 7:15 last night. Dont want to talk about the shot but it was the worst Ive ever made and still recover the deer.

Let her be after no blood where i hit her and seeing the impact I knew it was going to be a long sleepless night. Started at 8 am, found my first 4 drops after 100 yards of searching the general direction I heard her crashing off. Nuthing after that. I started the grid walk. Had a hunch on a trail that was heavyly used and it paid off. She went 200 yards beaded down and time did the rest. If I hadn't been using Muzzy's I seriously think she would be still walking They are BAD TOO THE BONE!

DSC02150.jpgDSC02149.jpg

Congrats on the does fellas! Cool picture matchset! I have to start keeping my camera in my pocket.

I finally had the right wind to get back to my bean stand Sat night. Beautiful night - deer were moving early. Had a yearling 7 pt walk the field edge at 10 yds and join up with a doe/fawn group. He was grunting the whole time. A big mature doe circled just out of range. Seeing lots of deer but no good bucks yet. I don't see anything changing until the corn starts going and the temps cool back down.

mnguy, it is the original muzzy.

Have to agree with stick on the bucks and movement. gonna take some colder weather. Ive stayed out of my 2 best Buck spots all season. Cant wait for end of october to get here.

I sat on Saturday night and saw about a 140 with a 125 come out about 40 minutes before dark. I keep seeing this deer but cannot get on him. I got permission from the landowner where ive seen him 3 times in the last week. I got in with the perfect wind and set up a killer stand. I sat last night but with those 80 degree temps nothing moved. Its SO DRY i hope a lot of my scent didnt stick from putting that stand up. Its in an evergreen slope between corn and beans. I will kill one there!

IMO you have a few days before those bigger bucks get very hard to kill, and now with this [PoorWordUsage] weather it aint gonna make it easier. They will probably go nocturnal until Halloween. THen the real fun begins! Hope you all get what you're after!

Well got the meat in the freezer now so all is good in that department. She was a nice doe that went about 200 yards and piled up. Shot her in the last light we had and found blood after about 30 yards. Looked for more and it started turning off so I backed out until the morning. Found her about 8:00 sunday morning about another 100 yards from were I left off the night before.

I got her in Red Wing and traveled to Zimmerman with her packed in ice. I was a little worried about the meat but I got it all deboned and it looks real tasty and smells fine too. First time I have ever left one overnight so it was all new to me as far as what would happen to the meat.

I beleive she died rather quickly so she layed there all night. I was most worried about the yotes finding her before i did. Good memories in the woods.

Take care and good luck out there on your personel goals.

Sat in a new stand last night. Saw 8 deer, 4 of which were yearling bucks. Heard antlers tickling right before dark and 3 jokers came out and started sparring out in front of me. Should have a few pictures as they were in front of one of the cameras. One of the neighbors zipped an arrow through this fella last weekend. I've got a bunch of trail cam pics I need to give him. Are they actually forecasting 90 degress tomorrow? I must have my calendar turned to the wrong month...

full-9397-12769-1(163).jpg

Kind of funny SNS you say they may be on your trail cam. I got a picture of the doe I shot on the trail cam just before I shot her. Then as she was running away the cam got another pic of her with the arrow in her buried up to the fletching. Not a real clear pic but intresting non the less. Took one pic of her coming in and then three minuts later the other with the shot. I would post it but I left the camera out in the woods yet. Bet I never have that happen again in my future years of hunting.

Went out hunting last night, was walking to my stand at about 5:40, thinking deer wouldn't be moving with the heat until sundown, as I approached my stand, there was a doe underneath it!!! As luck would have it, she was the only deer I saw last night!

This past Saturday morning I had the pleasure of sitting in the bow stand with my 13 year old son and watch him take his first deer with a bow. It was the 3rd time we had been out bow hunting this year. We have seen deer but none of them ever came close enough for a shot.

He has been practicing everday for a couple of months now and really, really wanted to shoot a deer, so I gave him the OK to shoot any deer, even a fawn, if it gave him a good shot.

We had only been in the stand for about 35 minutes and hadn't seen anything when this fawn came running right under the stand behind us and stops. I tell him to get his bow, but just as he is reaching for it, she looks up at us. Stare down!

Finally she starts walking thru some brush, which gives him a chance to grab his bow and pull it back. Problem is, he can't pull it back. The deer catches the movement and its another stare down. The deer starts walking again and he finally gets the bow fully drawn. By this time the deer is 10 yards, almost directly under us. He shoots and the arrow goes right over its back.

The deer runs about 30 yards and stops and looks back at us. I tell him to get another arrow. Then the deer starts walking broadside and he is able to get the arrow knocked and pulls back again. I can't believe he is going to get another shot. The deer stops broadside at 25 yards, (we had ranged that exact spot earlier) He lets the arrow fly and it hits perfect behind the shoulder. The deer kicks its back legs up and takes off running into the brush. I can't believe what just happened. I give him a big hug and congratulate him, because it looked like a perfect shot.

We wait 30 minutes just in case, and climb down. We find the arrow stuck in the ground, covered in blood, with lots of blood sprayed on the leaves. The G5 striker broadhead did its job, despite his bow only been set at 45 lbs. We followed the blood trail about 50 yards and there was his deer. The arrow had gone thru both lungs, a shoulder blade, and nicked the top of the heart.

I was more excited then if I had shot it and the smile on his face was priceless.

We cut up the meat together that evening and had fresh backstrap on the grill for supper. That was the best venison I think I have ever tasted and I'm sure my son would agree with me. wink

full-1027-12815-peters1stdeerwbow.jpg