• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2011 Archery Log

tracker x-2

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Climbed up n the tree about 4:20 last night. saw 2 fawns come through about 4:40. Nothing else until about 6:00 when 5 does/fawns walked through at 20 yards. Nothing else. It was cloudy, light rain and got dark really fast. I climbed down about 6:20. A fun night in the woods.

Nice buck tracker, I would say he might go 130, lot of points & mass, but not very tall or wide. I would have shot him in a heartbeat. I'm guessing 2.5 or 3.5. Buddy shot a 9 pointer very similar to that one two years ago during ML season.

Went out this morning nice and early. Walked out to my stand to hear deer running away, blowing. I know that there is a buck that frequents this area, 2nd time its happened. Probably going to have to try and give up on that spot in the AM. Just can't get out there without getting busted. Was in the stand an hour when at first light, ice and rain fell, got chilled, had to bail. Never saw a deer until I was back at the truck on my way home. Going to try again tomorrow night.

Got out this morning for the first time this year. Set up a decoy and had a small buck with his left side busted off(the pedicle was red so it must have been recent)circle the deke and come within 2 yds of the deke but he lost his nerve and walked away. Saw a fawn 15 minutes later by itself. I had two bonus tags so I filled one. Saw another fawn coming from a different direction 15 minutes after the first one. It was a great first morning hunt. I was surprised to see single fawns by themselves. It should get better every day in the next week.

full-6648-13521-imgs_9925.jpg

Went out this morning to a different stand, trying to head off the deer I am always kicking out walking in to my other stands. Got out there with no problem. I lost the ratchet strap that attaches my ladder stand to the tree, got it put on and got settled in before it was light enough to shoot. Within 10 minutes I hear a deer walking below me. I can hear brush agains antlers. I reach for my grunt tube, Doh, forgot it in the truck. Never saw a deer, I sat helpless hearing this deer 100 yards or less away doing his thing. I'm sure it wasn't the big one, at least that is what I am telling myself.

Sat for 8 hours on Saturday and 12+ hours today, and only saw one skinny little doe at 8:30 this morning. Last week, my spot didn't show any signs of rut related activity, but when I got up in my stand at 10:30 yesterday morning, I could see 7 scrapes within 40 yards, or so. I had high hopes of at least seeing some sort of activity, but only saw squirrels.

I was in my stand, all settled and quiet at 6:00 this morning, and when it was light enough, I could see that the 7 scrapes had now become 11, and the leaves were all torn up just out in front of my stand...it appeared like it may have been the site of a buck showdown some time during the night.

I was really disappointed to climb down at 6:30 tonight with only seeing the one little doe. Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to get back out there at all this week due to various conflicts. frown

For some reason, seems like some of the activity from a week ago has slowed down. I didn't see a deer tonight. Wind was all over the place, from the south, west, NW, it was really swirling. Friend of mine shot a 9 pointer this morning, he usually sees double digit deer at his stand, this morning, nothing was showing up so he grunted and had the 9 pointer come right to him. I'm hoping its truly a calm before the storm.

Im hoping the same thing Trigger. Im getting a little frustrated. Seen 1 small buck at 80 yards saturday morning, grunted at him to see his response, nuthing, Hit the horns and he didnt like that off he went. Sat last night knowing it would happen ,nuthing. Ive got sign but not even does showing up. Thing is I havent put any pressure on these deer, they should be there. Gonna get out and do a little recon today to see if they may have switched areas.

sat this morning for the first time in a few days. Had a flock of turkeys roosted 75 yards away, heard them talking in the tree then fly down.

That was it though. Pulled my trail cam pics and had 2 turkeys, a gray fox, a coon, a fork, a 3 point, a 5 or 6 point, and a doe with two button bucks. That was it in 9 days of pics. Not lookin good for shooting a decent buck

Trigger - I'm seeing the same things you are. Hunted Friday a.m and nothing except for one I kicked up as I walked in. I did finally see a couple of scrapes open up. There's one scrape that has been opened up every year for the past 5 years and that one was finally opened up - about a week later than normal. I was very excited for Saturday morning's hunt given the crisp frost and lack of wind but all that yielded was a small 8 point that came through at about 7:15. I hunted morning and night on Sunday and again all that yielded was that same 8 pt at about the same time. I was able to hunt for 2 hours this morning and again nothing. So 5 sits on different stands and I saw 1 deer twice. I'm not sure what to think of it.

I'm supposed to have tuesday-friday off but am debating about moving a couple of those days to next week. It's always a [PoorWordUsage] shoot after gun season opens but the gamble might be worth it.