• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Armor......Is it worth the money?

Mike Stark

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had my suit on a couple of times in the last two weeks.

With this cold weather it has worked great.

The first time I tried it out I put on long underwear and a pair of jeans along with a long sleeved shirt and a sweat shirt.......WOW when we got to our fishing spot I needed to strip off the sweat shirt and take off my longjohns.

Great stuff and the best money I have spent in a long time.

Sifty

For what its worth guys, this is my 3rd Winter wearing HSO Arctic Armor for nearly all my outdoor winter activities. I wear it in the summer a lot as well as raingear and for those cold nights in the boat. It's standing up very well.

After 3 years: no broken zippers, no split seams, no broken snaps, no rips, no tears, etc. If I gave them a good washing, it would almost pass for brand new.

My point: Arctic Armor is a good investment. Not only does it keep you super warm outside while ice fishing, it lasts. I fully expect 3-4 more years of use with my suit, heck maybe more.

I got my AA in August or September and have only worn it on the ice once. It looks like it will last a long time and I am kind of an old geezer, so I guess I know what I will be buried in. According to my wife I will be buried wearing my AA and sitting in my Lund. A pretty classy way to go if ya ask me. grin

Wow, I didn't know they came is such a cool color. grin

So at 6'1" and 230lbs, the XL would do the trick?

Without a doubt, go with the 2XL in the plus. The only store to recieve a Hot Spot Outdoors logo, free gloves and shipping on your jacket is the Outdoor Pro Store.

http://www.outdoorprostore.com/arctic-armor.html

Depends on how it fits you. From what I have seen, if you wear a large in the camo or red suit, then you would upsize to the next size with the Plus. Seems that how it has been going so far from what I have seen to date.

If the bibs are way to bib, then I would consider a bib 1 size smaller.

I just got mine (AA Plus)- sizing- I am 6'3" and 220 lbs. I got the XL and it was the perfect size. The extra 1" inseam on the XL's is great for me. I was told they run big for the size and while the coat is perhaps a little bigger, when I put an insulated shirt on under it, it is just right. They are just bigger in the mid section but the arms and shoulders were perfect for me.

Quote:
when I put an insulated shirt on under it, it is just right.

Make sure it is very cold and you are not moving much or you will overheat or just take off the jacket till you are done prepping. Once you get a system down that works for you then you will really appreciate your investment. I have the camo version and will never go without.

The answer is yes they all do. All the suits have the same inseams in regards to stitching.

One still has time to purchase the best outdoors suit made. Yes, we are still offering FREE gloves and FREE shipping.

Check them out here. A great way to show support for Fishing Minnesota and also receive a free HotSpotOutdoors logo on the jacket.

While Supplies last. They're going fast.

HSO Arctic Armor @ OutdoorProStore.com - Click Here

well i was finaly was able to purchase a artic armour plus suit XXXL bibs and XXL coat 6'2" 260 pounds i wore it sunday and its like you are a cacoon in that suit very nice

I bought the camo jacket. Absolutely love it. I actually prefer the camo to the plus, it goes on and off easier. I hate it when the arms bunch up on my shirt when putting a jacket on, and you can't beat the camo pattern. Will work great in the duck blind.

I had a very good experience and love the armor. On saturday i stood out in the rain and freezeing rain on the lake for about an hour just to give it a test and i stayed dry and warm, although I had to knock the ice off my back. This suit is awesome!

I just received a AA suit from my wife for Xmas. I look forward to getting out this weekend.

One question I have is how carefull do I have to be around the heater. The sunflower heater in my portable usually sits near the door, and I've brushed against a few times going in and out. It was never a problem with the Carharts, do I need to watch it with the AA suit?

Over the past couple of weeks the new Arctic Armor suit has gotten a pretty decent workout in a variety of conditions. Now a review.

Without going into a life story, it may help to give some background as to the application.

The Variables:

Use a Shappell Rover 1.0 when it's windy and cold, don't use a shelter if it is above 25 or so. Never use a heater.

Don't usually fish more than 4-5 hours at a time. Don't move around a whole lot and don't punch a lot of holes, maybe 5-8 max with a Mora 6" hand auger.

The Product:

AA plus (green/black) bibs and parka. Under Armor top and bottom base layer, medium thickness poly/cotton top and bottom thermals, hoody top and sweatpants bottom. Then the AA suit.

The Conditions:

Day #1--25 degrees/windy/overcast/WC factor 12. No shelter and no complaints.

Day #2--18 degrees/light wind/sunny/WC factor 10. No shelter and no complaints.

Day #3--15 degrees/medium wind/partly sunny/WC factor 6. It was cold enough to sting the face. Shelter and warm for most of the day. Didn't move for the last 2 hours of a 5 hour day and started getting a little cold.

Day #4--22 degrees/windy/overcast/WC factor 9. Shelter and no complaints.

Day #5--2 degrees/windy/sunny/WC factor -15. Shelter and no complaints although the feet were cold and only stayed out about 3 hours because of the stupid Vikings game.

The Verdict:

AA seems to do as advertised and performs very well as many on this forum have suggested.

The fact that they float is of some comfort, but frankly it will probably never be an issue.

AA isn't priced right considering that they pretty much keep you warm, in the middle of winter, sitting on the ice, with a stiff wind blowing you around.

Height 5-9

Weight 165

Arm 34

Chest 42

Waist 35

Inseam 32

I got a large Arctic Armor suit and it fit very comfortably. It would be a little roomy without the layers, but all things considered, it was likely the best option unless a tailor was brought on board for a custom fit.

It also bears mentioning that the transaction took place approximately 4:30pm Thursday December 18, and the package was on the doorstep the following morning at approximately 9am.

It makes one think that it takes a fisherman to know the importance of getting something to your customer in time to use it that weekend!

Not sure whether anything could achieve a higher rating.

One question I have is how carefull do I have to be around the heater. The sunflower heater in my portable usually sits near the door, and I've brushed against a few times going in and out. It was never a problem with the Carharts, do I need to watch it with the AA suit?

Yes, you need to be careful with AA around the heat. The outer shell is nylon and will melt if you're not careful.

Also, don't run your AA through a dryer if you wash it or anything like that. The heat will ruin the insulating properties of the Insultex.