• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Armor......Is it worth the money?

Mike Stark

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with 169Sportsman.

I would rather give my money to a sponsor of this great website, than some other source. I am a "got to have it" type of guy, but with some things it is worth wait and I feel better about a purchase when I buy from "little guys" and not big box stores wink.

I bought mine from the Outdoor Pro Store (click here) here at FM and not from Dave.

Only two little reasons why:

1) First and foremost the HSO crest. I know I am a mod here, but even if I was not, I would still love to promote the site that brings the best info about the outdoors and more. Plus it looks cool grin (IMO)

2) FM/HSO brought this suit to the forefront and is a big reason we all know about it and have great information about AA at our finger tips. To me, that means loyalty.

I also would like to say Harvey Lee (Tom) has been great with my order. He has given great insight on sizing, even though I have changed my order once and then went back grin. Plus he gave me reassurance if it is not correct, we will get it right.

HSO/FM also has great customer service. Thanks Tom smile

Figured it needed to be said. I can not wait to get that suit grin

I think part of the "Big Box" mentality is that it allows people the opportunity to hold it in their hands and try it on. It may be available at some retailers(including sponsors), but as a consumer the inability for me to actually try it on and see it in person anywhere close to home has kept me from purchasing it thus far.

I think that has a little to do with why folks want to know if it is at this store or that.

Coach1310, this is why I haven't bought one yet. I would like to see it in person (which I will at the icefishing show). I've tried on the ice armour and the large jacket fits me, but the large bibs don't give me much room down below!

hoggs222 You are going to really like this suit. It is very light but very warm and wind proof. You can't believe how much I missed my AA thru out deer hunting and now I have made a couple of photo excursions and I froze my buns while trying to sit still all the while the wind is going right thru me. It was so warm there for a while I figured there was no need for it so I left it at the cabin for ice fishing but that will never happen again. I have the camo version for hunting and photography.

I see that the camo suit is softer. Is it as durable of a material as say the ice armour suits? I'm just thinking that I'd like to use it for rain gear, hunting, icefishing, 4 wheeling etc.

I've torn a few different things while 4 wheeling (we go through some thick stuff) and am wondering how tear resistant it is?

Yes, the camo is a quieter and softer material. It works well for archery hunting as the material is that quiet. I have had no issues with it tearing and I have climbed many trees with it.

I am sure if you hook up with barb wire you will tear it as you might with any clothing. if you were to tear it, they do sell a patch kit to repair it also.

I think part of the "Big Box" mentality is that it allows people the opportunity to hold it in their hands and try it on.

Coach, I here ya! smile

I am that type of guy also, But!! With this type of purchase's, I had to do it. Get it done, go to town and do not look back.

To be straight forward with ya, I hate going to stores now-a-days. Even Bella’s or Fleet farm. Especially this time of year. The “in and out” is nonexistent at the big box stores. Even on a slow day, by the time you park the car, get in the store and find what you want, it is 10-15 minutes and then guess what? Check out time. If your going to do that, the extra drive to Dave’s place would be the best.

For me, order it on line and take care of it wink.

I have so much fishing and hunting junk, the breeze threw the “isles” just ain’t what is was in years past.

I know what I want and get what I want now-a-days.

Pretty much anything fishing (ice or open water), I call up Thorne Bro’s and ask for Matt Johnson. He tells me what to get and I go right down and buy it. That is the service I want. Straight forward. Same with the Outdoor Pro Store here at FM. I research the product on FM/HSO and buy on-line. Simple, easy and it is done. I get a package in a couple days and I open it and know what to expect grin.

Thanks to FishingMinnesota.com, I have a valet service for pretty much anything I need for the outdoors. Make a call or e-mail and it happens, at a great price.

Life is so much simpler now!

Is it me or is this normal, I can feel the cold being conducted through my back and arms on the jacket especially when I lean back against a chair or cross my arms. I love the suit its great at blocking the wind and rain and I cant wear it very long if inside because I get to warm. The Bibs I have no cold spots their awsome.

What can I do to prevent feeling the cold. I wear a t-shirt and a fleece sweater and still feel the cold on the back.

Quote:
I wear a t-shirt and a fleece sweater and still feel the cold on the back.

Is the T-shirt you are wearing some type of wicking material or is it cotton ? I am a big fan of UnderArmour because I will sweat while setting up my gear and I need to get dry or else I will get a chill until I dry off. Most times I will wear my UA then a flannel shirt and a hooded sweatshirt then my jacket. When I am running around checking depths and drilling holes I will take my jacket off or else I will really start glow (get soaked)

I have the camo set and its well worth the money!!!

I agree they can get to warm at times with much movement. I just unzip the jack and bibs or take the jacket off if needed when walkig in then put it back on as i cool off. I have spent lots of days running and gunning (hopping holes)kneeling on the ice,slush,water and the cold and water never came through the knees! UNBELIEVEABLE!!! thats all I can say.

Now maybe I need to become a dealer!!! No one in Iowa that I know off yet.

Nope, you will still need to have Coast Guard approved flotation devices in the boat.

This doesn't mean that they won't float you, just means that it wasn't finacially feasible for IDI to spend the money to get them Coast Guard approved.

Thanks for all the input on the AA, after reading how warm and comfy they are I ordered the other half a suit for X-mas, it'll be great not only for fishing but he also likes to do plowing with the four wheeler. And since he checks out different lakes alone many times the flotation feature was the biggest selling points.

I tried on all 3 suits. It's the first I'd seen and felt the camo. I LOVE IT. Was wondering though...Am I going to be able to kneel on the ice and snow with the camo? Also does the camo outerlayer soak up water when it's raining? Doesn't seem like it would shed water like the red or green ones. Thanks for the help.

Coon I have never had any moisture come through mine ever and they are waterproof just like the red and green. I kneel on the ice and have not worn any holes yet but most of the time I like to have a boat cushion around just to save my knees from sharp ice chunks.

Coon Like jimalm said! I to have the camo and have tried to put them through the test. pop all kinds of holes and run around to each one searching for echos to show up on the finder dropping down my search lure (silver/orange kast master)kneeling on my knees and have never had the cold or water come through! Now if you kneel in the same spot to long they kind of want to freeze down but no problems with wear yet. But with any cloth type material its going to happen!To me they dont realy absorbe much water and dry quick. I cant compare to the others because I only have the camo.All i can say is ive had other sets (Gortex)and couldnt kneel in the slush and ice like I can now.

P.S. Take this for what you will but I've been reading this site since abut 2000 and just receilently joined because of all the great input I saw from other FM'ers THANKS to ALL of YOU!

The good,bad,and ugly reviews on products have been great and help alot in my choices!

The rave reviews have been right on!! cant tell you of the bad because I dont buy unless I mist a review!

ON the sizeing they run big in some ways! I am 6'1" only 150lb 32 waste 42chest and bought med/med. I need 34-35" lenght in the legs, and the bottoms fit well but I wich they had Talls! I do kind of swim in the tops. But using the sinching strings it works.

This doesn't mean that they won't float you

Yup it floats. I had to see for myself, don't ask how or why but I just had to see first hand to believe. winkwhistle

What is crazy about it is how fast it drops the water out of the suit, now anything else stays wet and heavy...along with deadly in the cold temps. The Artic Armor suit dropped the water and actually was retaining a bit of warmth. A guy would have a chance to keep moving and get to safety unlike another type material that holds the water and weighs you down as it freezes solid.

The suit paired up with my Mickey boots made me feel like a duck...a really cool duck in a red suit.

So I guess the question was if Artic Armor is worth it...well what is your life worth? I am thinking on ice road crews should be wearing these things all the time.

gopher nation, You might be happy to find any left on Sunday! From the vendors I know who will be there, no discounts will be offered. I trust these people when they say you will get the same GREAT deal on Friday as you will on Sunday! They are reputable businesses and I take their word as they have given it. I can tell you, that it is worth the price, period.

Coon-

I have worn and owned the red, camo and now green Plus.

From what I understand (and my suits) the camo version has less padding in the knees and your "seat" areas. You can still kneel down on the ice fine. The outer layer may absorb more water, but it's not a big deal. Water will not penetrate thru the Insultex insulation. The camo suit also holds onto moisture more, and it doesn't wick off as well as the red/green fabric.

The Plus A.A. suit is by far the warmest and it is very comfortable to wear.