• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The story behind your, "Handle"

EBass

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short Version:

Nickname that stuck from drinking yeast sediment, the sludge, from home brewed and bottled stout beer (say it like one of the Marin brothers - dee sluuuhdge, man).

Story Version:

I brewed 200 gallons of stout beer in 1992 (the legal limit then). I resided in Salt Lake City, Utah at the time and could never find the type of beer I liked. The beer lasted for years and over time a layer of yeast "by-product" settled to the bottom of the bottles. When one last drink was left in the bottle, I would swirl the bottle to mix the sediment with the beer and drink it.

At a get-together someone said, "Yuuuhk! You drank dee sluuuhdge, man!" It became a tradition, and I was branded - D SLUDGE MAN - for many years. A friend even made some labels for the bottles with the acronym "SLUDJ", which stood for "Salt Lake Underground Dank Juice".

I don't know if there is any left or not?

"Time spent NOT fishing is forever lost"

dsludge

P.S. Everyone just calls me Dave now.

Well, it comes from the movie Tombstone when Ike Clanton called Wyatt Earp "Mr. Kansas Lawdog". My brother and I both love that movie and I was in law school at the time and of course had my dog too so he decided that would be a good nickname for me and I like it too. It was also my username on the old DNR forums for several years before they shut that down and I found out about this place from BigLakeBass...

My hobby, err....life is Hovercraft. I design, build, fish from and fly them year round. It's the perfect ATV or sorts. Several years ago I decided to build a HSOforum and was thinking of all sorts of names for it. I settled on Hovercraft of Minnesota, or hovermn. In hindsight, I'd have chosen something else because nearly everyone thinks that it stands for HoverMAN. Oh well :-)

Dave

hovermn.com

OnAFly - Because I love to catch any fish I can on a fly rod.

I've never gotten really into fly fishing in winter, though. Dealing with icing line, snow packed boots, and the rest of the mess isn't as much fun when your waving around a 9 foot rod. I'll stick to the 24" ice rods for winter wink

<- Self explanatory. I should mention it is usually water. whistle However there are those occasions when it isn't.

DuckBlind you may have just set a record for a thread reincarnated after being dead for so long. I'll browse through it later but hear is mine.