• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum LX-3 IR?

Bob Horn

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn funny rk. Big minnow the LX 3 ID's targets better. I'm not sure what the Gander guy was demoing to you? Go back and read this incredible thread. Read what the guys have posted. Both units are good units and they will ID fish. The IR on the LX 3 works well. So does the 18. You can read either unit on the ice. To me the LX 3 is easier to read in multiple situations no need for supression cables no need for multiple ducer cone angles. The LX gives you the ability to zoom in anywhere in the water column so if you are fishing suspended fish it's really nice. You need to ask the guys which unit is better at IDing targets in all situations. Choose the unit that you think will ID targets more effectively in multiple situations.

RK I see your an Esox Angler fan too. It's a great mag, may just be the best fishing mag out right now?

I get along pretty well with Pete. I have a bunch of his rod systems, great rods! The kicker is, I use them for cats mostly, not on Muskie.

wink.gif

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Great thread of information. I have been using the old Micronair FL 8 for over a decade and it has been and will continue to be a great unit (if the interference from the souped up Marcum does not render it useless in the same house). grin.gif I have been sold and intend to try the Marcum so I can fish two units in my house. I hope they work together. So my question is where is the best price? I saw someone post about a 10 % discount with credit card purchase? On a $400 unit that is worth it. Who has that deal? I see the Marcum for $400 in most places I have looked. Thanks, Brian

Had my LX-3 out this morning fishing 11.5' of water with 10 ft. zoom window on lots of small perch and a missed a keeper walleye. Ice is terrible around here with all the snow and slush only 4" of ice where I fished today. Probably go up-north early this week.
Fishfondler - I wish I had seen a deal when I bought mine... I paid the $400 and after a season it's been terriffic. I saw some one selling them for $390 Red Rock or something I haven't seen anything cheaper, I know that Thorne Bros. sold them on sale after the season ended for $375.
If you have a Cabela's card you can get bonus points for your purchase. My friend CNY Frank only paid $250 for his LX-3.
Happy Hunting...

[This message has been edited by CNY Tim (edited 12-20-2003).]

Is it possible to clear up the interference problem between the MarCum LX-3 and the Vexlar units with the use of the I.R.?
I currently have an FL-8 SLT. The guys I fish with all have Vexlars. One has an FL-18 and the other two have older FL-8's.
I am going to sell my FL-8 SLT that is 1 year old to one of the guys with the older FL-8 and am looking at buying either the MarCum LX-3 or the Vexlar FL-18. I have heard there is a real problem with using the MarCum and Vexlars close to each other. I really would like to get the MarCum because I have heard a lot of good reports on it but don't want to make my friends units unuseable. When we come to LOW we stay in a sleeper and last year even though we had 4 Vexlars running in the sleeper we were all able to use our uints by controling the interference with the I.R.
Like I say I would really like to get the LX-3 but I will get the FL-18 if it means the difference between getting the unit I really want which is the LX-3 and losing my friends (or at least having them real mad at me) or getting my second choice, the FL-18 and keeping peace in the sleeper for the 3 day trip.
Any replies are appreciated.
Thanks,
PLEV

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I fish MarCum next to Vexilar all the time.

It's really not much of an issue until you get 3 or more Vexilars together.

Then you just need to spread out a little bit and the problem is usually solved.

The only problem you're likely to have is the guys using their Vex's are going to want to use your MarCum. It's mainly the clear crisp separation that causes that. I say this only because it happens to me frequently.

Merry Christmas Everyone smile.gif

Thanks for the reply Rick.
Sounds as if you own an LX-3 and like it.
I haven't really read anything bad about their performance yet. They sound like a great unit. The only con I did see was that some people were concerned about the loud pulse sound from the transducer. How much have you used your unit and has this been a problem that you have encountered? As far as which unit I will end up buying I really don't know which way to go yet. From what you said the Vexilars don't have a problem fishing next to an LX-3 until there are 3 or more units running in a small area. Do you think that is because there is an LX-3 close by or just because there are so many units in one small area? We will be fishing in a sleeper so all 4 units will be running in a 10' X 20' area. Last year when we all had Vexilars it wasn't a problem. I just hope if I go with the LX-3 that getting their units to clear up isn't a problem beacuse the guys know we fished fine last year when we all had Vexilars. If this year I get the LX-3 and they have trouble they will for sure blame the LX-3 and I don't think I will be very popular.
PLEV

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I own both Vex and MarCum units. I don't see the pulse as being an issue.

I've also heard that MarCum is just a reincarnation of the failed Zercom. For the record it is just another old wives tale.

The MarCum benefits simply outweigh the Vex benefits (this year) for the type of fishing I and most folks do.

I also like a nice clear crisp display with obvious separation advantages. The military sonar guys at MarCum are definitely doing something right. The MarCum variable zoom is cool too.

When everything is said and done, both the MarCum and vex will get the job done for you.

I wouldn't worry about which unit you pick. Just get one, you'll be glad you did.

It is 1:30 am. just read the 17 pages on this thread, have a new fl-18 in the garage, I am now going to bed with a headache. Thanks
Just tell me why I should keep the fl-18 or should I return it?

tnord, I bought an LX-3 after owning an FL-8 for about 20 years. Even after buying the LX-3 I can still give you one reason to keep the FL18. It's a great unit. I like the thin crisp display and the variable zoom of the LX-3 but I'm not convinced that I'm seeing fish that the FL18 won't pick up. Be happy with your choice, you have a fine piece of equipment that will last a long time.

tnord,
Welcome to FishingMinnesota!

That FL-18 is a very fine unit, you will be happy with it. That being said, I fish with an LX-3 and feel this unit gives you more usefull features for your money. The adjustable zoom on the LX-3 is a very nice feature if you fish suspended fish. If all of your fishing is near the bottom, you may not need this feature (the FL-18 zooms the bottom 6 ft., the LX-3 zoom window can be anywhere in the water column).

The other things to consider are interference and target separation. The LX-3 has superior target separation, and a crisper display. The LX-3 will also fish next to any other unit with no interference problems. The Vex. may have trouble fishing next to an LX-3, due to the high power output on the LX-3. You'll be very happy with either unit, they are both top notch.

Hey Guys let me sum it up for all of you!
I thought getting a padded bucket seat for christmas was a great thing. The biggest part of me is grateful! If I only had the troubles you guys do! My depth finder is new also its a colored lead weigth on a ol- broken taped up pole. Remember one of those pulley type with white tape on it every ten feet! I think what ever sonar you buy you''ll love it. I know I would cherish it!
The only way I know if fish are down there is if I hit it in the head with my depth finder and it floats up. Boy -O- boy I wish I had your troubles. Like my pa told me when I had a quarter at the store when I was a kid// Life is short just pick one you'll be happy! Then he would smile at me and we would go fishing with my new bobber!
Da-Roc

There has been a lot of negative talk about the noise that the LX3 puts out because of it's high power.
I have been using one all winter and have yet to see a fish that I think was spooked by the transducer noise!
I owned a Vex FL8 for many years and was happy with it, until I got my LX3! I really love my LX3. The adjustable zoom feature, target seperation, high power, and built-in charger and charge monitor can not be beat!
I remember when I bought my Vex FL-8 hearing all of the same negative responce. The noise it also made would scare the fish away. As we all know, that just was not true. If any fish were spooked by the noise, thousands more were caught because you had the flasher and were able to coax the fish into biting!
Good Fishing!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

I bought my buddys fl8sle, last years modle, for 225.00 he used it 7 times, he turns around and buys a marcum. I'm just happy to finnaly have a portable ice sonar and he's wondering why he had to go and drop 400.00 on another expensive bobber. No matter which one somebody chooses, they still dont make the fish bite, but it's nice to know whether their down there or not.