• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum LX-3 IR?

Bob Horn

It's all hot air unless you put em side by side that's the bottom line. Companies need to do less finger pointing and stop whining and put that effort into achieving a unit better than the LX-3 now that would be something.
You don't here these derogatory comments coming from MarCum about the competition.
Compete or get out of the way I say.

Dark Cloud - I was thinking about letting you check this out while we were on Oneida last year but your defense mechanisms scare the heck out of me smile.gif
I know your only kidding but you can see my concern. The only thing I'm bringing too the W.P. crappie derby is my jet sled catering service.
I'm putting Northshore's "my old FL-8" up on hsolist tomorrow he's making the switch to the LX-3. Scotts ordering one too you'll meet him when you come up to pick up your Fish Trap Mo's.
Send out them Niagara trip pics I can't wait to see the size of them eyes. I'm going to see if I can find some more bargain basement Sedonas, good deal you got.. later bud...

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigguns,
We need proof of the person who sent you that e-mail or we will not allow the post to stay up. Frankly I have a hard time believing a staffer would sling mud like that. Especially when it contains innaccuracies and/or assumptions and/or lies like that. We can't let it stand with the name unless we have proof.

When we receive it from the writer as you described, we will post it.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-13-2003).]

In my post I was in not way, shape, or form, making derogatory remarks about MarCum, nor was anyone else.

My post was only designed to help define the distinctions between Target ID and Target resolution. In a hope to reduce conflict, not stir up more.

My comments on transducers was meant as a word of caution about knowing true component specifications of any sonar, and not a jab at anyone, or any one manufacturer.

That was my personal comment and definitely not a derogatory character assassination attempt from anyone else. Please do not take my comments to be anything more then what I intended them to be, definitions and tips.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Backwater Eddy - Never had anything but kind words for you. Your posts are clear and informative I enjoy reading them.
I try to toe no line in this debate because you never bite off what you may chew on in the future. Were really a small fraternity (ice fisheran) when you think of the big picture.

That's pretty dang sad that a Vexilar rep would say that. Free machines??? Where the heck is mine? I assure you I paid full price for both my LX-3 and FL-18 if anyone doubts I'll scan both receipts and send em...

If vexilar has approved post of these emails on the web there really embarassing for them. And I'm appalled as a vexilar customer if Bigguns1 was given permission to post these.

The only thing that impresses me about those emails is the fact that Vexilar is not sitting on there hands and working on something to blow me away. NOW THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO HEAR!
I'm sticking by my guns the LX-3 is the best for me and all Vexilar is doing is barking for the moment.
Really if you read between the lines on these two emails Vexilar is almost begging you to stay the course even though my FL-18 is inferior to my LX-3. Don't beg I say and show me something..

The Ice Team thinks I'm qualified to be a Power Stick or they would have not have asked. I declined because I can't commit to using there sponsors electronics exclusively. Even though I use 90% of there sponsors equipment.
Fact...

I speak for no one but myself and right now the LX-3 is superior to the FL-18.

Not one ice fisherman should be satisfied until they receive all the advancements and enhancements they demand in regards to there equipment, $400 is a lot to spend on a unit. Right now the value is with the LX-3... Tomorrow who knows...

Right now I'm scouting for some walkable ice I'm out of here...

Wizard, I guess I used the word Marcum too many times with my conversations and they didn`t like that. I didn`t own a Marcum at the time and was trying to stay with vex but the way things were handled I don`t think were too cool. I have my own business and if I treated my customers the way I was treated I would be going out of business real soon. I wish I kept the emails that I got for vex and you would know where I was coming from. Fish On

[This message has been edited by bhorn (edited 12-13-2003).]

I started using this HSOforum because it was not biase, it almost seems llike some people are pushing thier product. I just like to give my oponion and read other oponions form others, not hear a sales pitch. I own a fl-18 now and I hear that the marcum may have better features now, but I am not going to buy a new one just because of that... What if vex comes out with a better version next year? Will all the marcum guys sell and go back and buy vex's. Like I read in an earlier post (your talking about 99.08 vs. 99.07 accurate) Is 1 unit really that much diff. or better than the other. Now don't get me wrong, if I broke my vex then I would certainly want to get the best unit at that time whatever it was. Good Fishing

thats what I like a nice friendly conservation. Things seem to be heating up in here a little. I have a question for the vexilar/marcum reps! seems to be alot of talk about performance and specs. But what about the engineers that developed the technology for these units, what is their background. Marcum claims their engineers have past military sonar experince. What experince do the Vex people have? I can understand both staffer promoting their product and claiming theirs is better, would wonder if they did not. Does not matter tome how they got their machines, I am more interested in the permorance of the units. And it seem that some of the folks here have tested both side by side, I value their opinion, as long as they are not the staffers for vex or marcum. In fact it would be fun to have a staffer from both bring their units to a lake and do a side by side test for any-one who wanted to see for themself the differences. I myself am in the duluth area. what do you say boys???

O

opsirc...I tend to agree with you. One man's oar may not row another's boat. Everyone has preferences which are different from other's. It may simplicity or a certain function that has sold the unit to one guy, but that sure as heck doesn't make it everyone's bread and butter. I have a clearwater classic that does for me everything I need. Should it fail for some reason, the MarCum will replace it. But for now, I'll stay with the classic,and my hummer pro sixty, and bottomline 210- which incidently has a flasher mode with real time as well and will do anything that the other flashers do including split screen and bottom lock. The side by side field test would be interesting. Might even change some ways of thinking..

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

Exactly...To-each-their-own..Fit-your-sonar-unit-to-your-individual-needs.

I-test-many-every-year-and-why-I-buy-what-I-buy-is-because-it-serves-my-guiding-needs-best-for-performance-and-durability.

(FYI)-Guides-do-not-get-FREE..electronics...We-buy-ours-just-like-the-next-guy..Just-like-a-Mechanic-would-buy-his/her-own-tools..If-we-are-VERY-Lucky-we-get-a-discount...maybe.

Ah-the-reason-for-the...(-)..between-my-words-is-because-I-spilled-coffee-on-my-darn-ketboard.today..now-my-space-bar-quite-working..I-shorted-out-my-keypad...(again).-%%%-it!

Anybody-have-a-spare-Gateway-keyboard-handy..Eh?
frown.gif
I-have-a-new-computer-on-the-way-after-Christmas-and-I-hate-buy-a-new-keyboard-just-tell-it-gets-here.....darn-it...this...sucks!!!

Of-course..I-just-gave-an-old-computer-away..along-with-my-extra.keyboard...it-figures..HUH!

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Hey Ed,
I feel for ya bud. That has to be painful.

Hey, I also agree with you. To each their own. Vex and MarCum both make great units.

Rick

PS. From this point forward, any attacks on Vexilar or attacks on MarCum will be deleted in their entirety.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-14-2003).]

Hey Guys
This subject certainly been "very In-Ter-Esting" Lotsa pro's & con's..I guess my thought is that the guy that plunks down 4 bills has to be satisfied when he walks out the door..I'am sure Steve at Vex or Dwayne at Marcum aren't going to give out all their secrets on the design of their recievers..
Both great units, let the fishing begin...
"BE HAPPY"
Don

Rick was kind enough to prove the power of the Marcum to me today. Excellent seperation and I loved the zoom feature. I will never get rid of my FL-8, or my Si-Tex FL-6 for that matter, however, I will be purchasing a Marcum next season, if not this season. Thanks Rick, even more debt....

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
http://www.geocities.com/northcountryguides

If anyone wants to see the LX3 and even use one, just attend one of the up-coming ICE Series events.

We'll have LX3's, LX-i's, VS560's, and tons of other products for you to view up close, on the ice and in action.

We'll even have side-by-side demos with other similar products so you can see the difference. It will be a good way to see for yourself and make your own conclusions.

Heck, even offer critisism if you see something you don't like.

See you there!

I am in the market to pick up either the fl18 or the LX 3. I was in Minnetonka Gander yesterday and I will admit I went in there with all expectations of picking up the LX3 however the clerk turned on both units side by side the Marcum needed multiple IR adjustments to get rid of the fl18's interference , while the fl18 just needed one adjustent.
The way the transducer hangs from an arm is kind of clumsy, and less flexible than the foam float for the vex.
The biggest reason I will probably go back and pick up the fl18 is the noise of the transducer. I couldn't get over how loud the trasducer was, very loud. When he put the transducer on the glass case the transducers actually hummed like somesones pager in vibrate mode. With that being said I think I am going to go back and get the fl18 with the ultra pack. Has anyone else noticed these issues.
BigMinnow

The Gander clerk may have had the gain turned up on the LX3 and way down on the FL18.This would cause the Marcum to recieve more interference than the Vex.
These kind of tests are better done on the water.The Marcum will drown out a Vex in real time out there fishing.
I like th transducer arm on the Marcum.You can pick it up with out wrappin up all that cable.Its not a good thing to be dragging the transducer around.However it is nice to be able to set the unit away from the hole if your just going to sit and wait for fish.

Hiya,
Cropeye - Actuallty I've been reading the thread with some interest, and there's a lot of good info in it. I'm not taking shots at any of the participants - just trying to lighten the mood a little is all...

RK