• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum LX-3 IR?

Bob Horn

black max,

I have a fl-18, my buddy has an fl-8, then my other buddy has the lx-3.

When running all three units side by side the IR is horrid. If only running two (doesn't matter which two) they can cancel each other out and its no big deal.

Hope that helps.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hsolist is flooded with FL-18's for sale now so I don't think I would go there to sell it until it calms down a little. Alot of guys are making the move to the LX-3 and I expect more and more will be the order.
Dual beam are you kidding me? I can't wait for the new color scheme down the road.

For the last couple of years I have been trying to get a vex, problem being short of cash. after reading these posts I think I will try for a marcum instead. I have two friend that for the past few years we have made trips up the gunflint trail to fish. both own vexilars, i have seen first hand the problems they have had running both vexilars at the same time. they always seem to be adjusting them for interference. In many cases one of them would end up shuting down.

o

I just checked out hsolist for the vexilars, and holy cow! The prices for most of them or the accessories with the shipping is the same as you would pay at the ice shows, or at the stores for that matter. Plus you wouldn't have to wait for 2 weeks to get it in the mail, you could just go to a store and pay those prices and have it right now.
I even saw people bidding over $9 on a mag. shield for a vex with $6 for shipping!!! You can get them for less than that in the store...

Agree with Derek on not mixing the two units if your fishing together a lot. The Vex. will have a heck of a time with the MarCum. The other option that I'd be looking into is selling that FL-18 and picking up two LX-3's. You won't come up much behind selling a good used unit, they seem to hold their value well. Then you'll never have to worry about interference issues, fishing next to your friends, etc.

A simple question for you how many have fished more than 2 vexilars in the same house. The interference with this set up is horrible too. Once 2 of you get set the third can't see the screen. So don't think that if 3 or 4 of you all have 18's everything will be great because they won't. It is very though to cancel all of it out. I bought a Marcum right know it sound like it have more features that will be useful to me. Vexilars are great and no one is taking that away from them I have used one for the last 5 years and will probably go back if they come out with something that is better. Right know it looks to me that Marcum are the best. But since this Chevy vs Ford sauga continues

The best are:
Chevy Trucks
Jiffy Ice Drills
Marcum Electronics
Otter Fishhouses
Honda 4 Wheelers

Good luck with your decision guys you will like either option you go with both great units.

Just want to add on thing I just checked HSOList and there are a ton of Vex. on there but interestly enough there are no Marcums. Wonder what that means??

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 12-03-2003).]

Derek - That would be too funny would like video of that 3 guys setting the hook simultaneously. Saying at the same time "fish on the screen" and then seeing 3 guys Yoyoing there jigs all movement picked up on each others flashers. Sounds like Abbot and Costello to me. I'd have a headache in two seconds. That's why I fish in a trap.

Hey guys thanks for your input, thats what I wanted to know. I think that I am just going to get my wife a vexilar. If it was just a matter of my vex and buying her something new I might consider 2 new marcums if I could sell my fl-18; but all my buddies have vexilars also and most are not likely to replace a good working vex just because there might be a better unit out there, and I don't blame them. I fish anywhere from 2-4 guys in my shack and am usually able to cancel out any interference with all of our vexilars without many problems. So... if it aint broke don't fix it! Thanks for the info and good fishing everyone

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Black Max,
unfortunately your buddies fishing next to each other and you with the FL18s will have interference problems anyway.

Rick
I have fished 3-4 guys in my shack all with our own vex and had interference problems at times but nothing that we couldnt clear up by hitting the ir a few times. I have personally never experienced a time when 1 or more of us couldn't use our vex due to interference.

I'm still wondering if I'm the only one with no interference problems with vex. I have an 8 slt and an 18. Some of my buddies don't have a locator so I bring both of mine, I fish them next to eachother in an otter house, and I uaually don't have to touch the IR. Whats the deal? Three of them cause issues though.
Once again chevy and ford

I didn't say dodge

I'm not sure either? Last year I was on the lake and turned my FL-18 on. I heard this "boom" I looked over and this guy was swearing at me. Turns out I blew up his MarCum. grin.gif

Ok,OK,OK just kidding wink.gif

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
651-271-5459
www.millelacsguideservice.com

[This message has been edited by Derek Johnston (edited 12-03-2003).]

Still giggling at Johnston's remark.

Yup I'm still around,....Just spending Alittle bit more time at the desk, So its hard to do work with this PC in front of me. I have to turn it off to get anything done. Finals are coming up.,and then serious fishin over break.

bhorn - asked a question way back on page 4 Does the marcum have the suppression capability? Can it read through the "blooms"?

The question on a suppression cable or suppression adjustment is a little misleading. Suppression is designed to eliminate cavitation noise and / or electrical noise not algae or other clutter in the water. The problem with a unit that is sensitive enough to pick up a 1/32 - 1/64 ounce jig is that it will probably pick up algae if its a heavy enough bloom. Conversely, if you add a lower power mode or cable, you decrease the ability to pick up a small object. I assume the low power mode on my FL-18 was designed for summer use to eliminate screen clutter. I have not experienced this problem on either unit at all ice fishing though I have never fished in a heavy bloom. As far as the LX-3 is concerned you should be able to turn down the gain on the LX-3 which decreases the sensitivity.

How about this question?

I wss in Canada last year and 2 of us had FL-18 and 2 had FL-8 fishin' for lake trout. I'm assuming the structures we were fishing was rock bottoms and reefs. In certain areas where depths of 50-75ft we were fishing, the vex's were going nuts with interference?
No matter how many times I hit the IR button, it never cleared up?

ANy reason why?

We all were fishing within a 20-35ft of each other hole hopping.

The LP mode on the FL-18 reduces the output power by 50%. The S-Cable Reduces the output power by nearly 70%.

One misnomer that has gotten out there is that the S-Cable will help reduce interference received from another unit. This is not true. It will actually make the interference worse because you will need to run the gain higher than you would without the S-Cable. The higher the gain, the more likely you will see interference.

The S stands for Suppression. The S-Cable simply suppresses the output power of your FL-8 or FL-8SLT. On the FL-18's it is done with a flick of the LP switch. Technically the power is attenuated.

OK..So why in the heck would you want to reduce your power, when everyone says more is better?

In shallow or very weedy waters the LP mode and the S-Cable on the Fl-8 can improve your readings considerably. Shallow and weedy are different from one body of water to another. The level at which you need to use an S-Cable depends on the type of water you are on.

The FL series flashers put out 400 Watts, peak to peak, at all times. It does not matter where the gain control is set. The signal that you are putting into the water is always the same strength. The gain controls how much the reflected signal, coming back from the water, is amplified.

In shallow water, with the gain set at zero, you may be amplifying the return signal to the point that you cannot determine what is what because there is just too much "Stuff" on the screen. The LP mode and the S-Cable comes to the rescue in these difficult conditions.

Imagine your running your unit with the gain set at 6. If you were to install the S-Cable, it would be almost the same as turning the gain down to zero. Now imagine running your unit with the gain set to zero. If you install the S-Cable you are, essentially, turning the gain down to a -6! Now you can clearly read the bottom even though your outboard is kicking up mud like crazy or there is turbulence producing bubbles that freak out most electronic.

For ice fishing the idea is the same. If your fishing in 10 feet of water, your ice jigs may show so well that you cannot get it to read any less than red. Why would you want it to read less? To be able to interpret the moods and location of the fish more effectively. That is where the LP mode and the S-Cable will help.

Also, if your using the 19 degree transducer you may be seeing fish that are out on the edge of the transducer cone. If there are a lot of fish in the area they will tend to overlap on the display, making it difficult to determine the size and position of the fish or their moods. The S-Cable or the LP mode will help this by effectively reducing the size of the cone angle, or your ability to see the entire cone. This gives you a clearer picture of what is right under you and what is happening in relation to your bait.

The LP mode & S-Cable is not necessary, but can be a very handy item to have with you when you need it. You definitely would not want to have it installed all the time. I doubt that you could even see the bottom in 30 feet if it were installed. But even with the FL-18, which has it built-in (LP Mode), an extra S-cable can add usability in extremely weedy conditions. I generally carry one in my boat and with my Pro Pack, so when ever I need it I have it.

The ability to adjust the gain even further has made a big difference for me on open water, and often has been a huge help under the ice.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

I don't fish those conditions so I am not an expert Backwater Eddy should be able to answer this for you. I had a simmiliar situation however fishing around 3 FL-18's and one FL-8. The best I could do was minimize the interference unless I moved out right that was the last time I brought my FL-18 to that area. I brought my LX-3 after that and never had to touch the I.R. problem solved.

Bouncing sonar off rock is like bouncing a tennis ball of a big round Rock. The signals can bounce off in all kinds of unintended directions.

This will be a complication on any sonar. With several receivers in close proximity rough signals can easily be picked up by other units and miss interpreted. If this effect is so intense that you can not tune it out with the IR, then you will likely need to spread out to thin out the effect.

Uneven rocky bottoms can cause challenges. Sonars are good, just not perfect....yet.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

bhorn,
The MarCum LX3 does come standard with the 20 degree transducer.

For those who need more cone angles there will be more available for the LX3 in 2004.