• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum LX-3 IR?

Bob Horn

I think the zoom on the LX3 is every bit as funtional, and more so than the zoom on an fl18. It is more versatile as it is moveable, and can provide a bigger window at different range settings. No need to get into the display, as the Marcum is the clear winner here too.

I have no brand loyalties or sponsers. Thru my own expieriences with both fl18's and LX3's, as well as my using flashers of various brands for 20+ years on the ice, the Marcum LX3 is CLEARLY the best out there, bar none. I spend my own money on products I use, and only want the best, and the best at this time is the Marcum.

I have seen many times where a bit more power is an asset in a flasher, never the opposite. I would also suggest 1500 watts is far from what is considered high power in the world of sonar.

The arguements that equate the performance of Genetrons and their low power don't hold any water. Genetron users are brand loyal bigtime, most likely due to the big bucks involved. For every person I know who swears by them, I can name 2 that would say it was the worst money they've ever spent on a sonar. 50 hours prefishing with a PWT pro reinforced this as in all of this time on LOTW with in a pros boat fully equiped, including a Genetron, we had it on for an hour at most. Wonder why?

The past couple years we've seen so many folks tout their Vex's, and for good reason as they preform well. It is now time to take the green/yellow/red blinders off and realize there is a new "best" on the market.

Acting on my own volition....Fisky

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fiskynut - I argue my choice in a vex for one reason and one reason only. People who are easily influenced will read these boards and chose a Marcum because they believe it will catch them more fish than if they bought brand X, and thats hog wash.
The adjustable zoom to me is useless. I love the zoom on my 18 but have never wanted to move it up the water colum. 50% of my fishing is in less that 15 ft of water and the other half is in 50 or less and that is for deep bottom huggin perch....
The display being beter is debateable too. Yes it is more crisp on the marcum but it isnt as bright either. Thats a worry for old eyes...
Power - Overkill is overkill!
I have no brand ties either. I had a fl8 for almost 10 years and spent more time sitting in front of it than should be allowed. Never one problem or complaint with it so I went with the 18, no complaints there either. After useing it twice I bought one for my father and sold his old fl8.....
Later, in going to catch some steelhead.....

[This message has been edited by Dark Cloud (edited 12-08-2003).]

I'm not gonna argue about what influences folks' choices, you don't see a Marcum or Vex trailer on my posts, I have NO agenda what so ever, and I am only reporting my findings thru use of these units, as well as my expierience of 20+ years of using various flashers of many brands thru the ice. Hopefully people can see thru the posts which are biased. I have no loyalties and my money will be spent on a Marcum, will it catch me more fish than my old CC or my fl8's....doubtful, but an 18 won't either. This should be a no brainer for folks who have got to try both out. The zoom on the Marcum does everything the zoom on the Vex does, and just as well, and it also does more, plain and simple! This is just one of a few things which sold me on it.

Power, overkill??? Once again I have seen where a bit more power is an asset, never the opposite. 1500 watts is far from a high power sonar. Overkill is this misconception put forth thru advertisement!

For my money the LX3 is the best choice, and only way to go at this time, I want the BEST.

fiskyknut

[This message has been edited by fiskyknut (edited 12-08-2003).]

Any truth to the rumor that the Marcum doesn't shoot through the ice nearly as well as the Vexilars?

My only other concern would be reliability & customer service. The touch buttons go bad occasionally - I have a coffee maker at home with the same type of buttons, and a couple of them don't work anymore after 5 years of use. That and the fact that if I am up at LOW or Rainy Lake and my Vex transducer goes bad, I'll bet I can just go to the nearest local sporting goods shop and buy a new one. I haven't seen a replacement Marcum transducer anywhere.

Other than those things, I am tempted to replace my FL18 w/ a Marcum. I have a buddy looking to buy my FL18, so it wouldn't be too much of an investment to switch. I'm just a little hesitant. The 20 degree transducer & adjustable zoom is tempting, though, since the 12 degree is a little tight for crappie fishing, which I do a lot. We'll see...

dan

Got to use my brand new LX-3 over the weekend for the first time. Wow, the separation is fantastic. The lines are so crisp and the zoom is even better. Can't wait to use the zoom on suspended kokanee this winter. Like I said, I've only used it once but, it was very easy to understand and the performance was great. I had to order mine from Cabelas because no one is carrying them here in Colorado. Not even Sportmans warehouse! Again *** GREAT UNIT ***.
Dan DAN

------------------

Bigguns1 - Wow and thank you for viewing my posts I try to make it entertaining without sounding like a commercial. Some times I can't help myself the LX-3 is that good. Years ago when I bought a colorpoint I saw a couple of things in the colorpoint that I liked and that was the thin-line display, it's ability to pick up targets close to the bottom, and it's separation of targets. Reliability and lack of I.R were extremely scary with the colorpoint and I got scared that the company was not going to make it.
So I dumped it.
All my buddies used the FL-8 and raved about it's positive characteristics and unmatched customer service, hence my decision to switch to an FL-8. The FL-8 was extremely reliable, dependable, great interference rejection and the best 3 color flasher I had used.

Then the MarCum LX-3 came along with the Vexilar FL-18. I bought them both.

I second guessed my decision to even buy the LX-3 at first because of the colorpoint situation and the fear that it would not be around to contend. The curiosity in me because of the colorpoints few positives and the hope that a new company with a great product could find a seat at the table with the King of ice fishing flashers Vexilar enticed me enough to give it a shot. Yes believe me I felt like a guinea pig and took alot of heat from this site and my friends.

My service background and military experience landed me at the Air Force Rome Research Laboratory (AFRL). I have spent eleven years as a defense contractor and a total of 20 plus years as an employee of the U.S. Government. The military engineers here at Rome our some of the finest in the country. Research and testing was a spin off of what I see everyday. The latest in technology in control, command and communications I have been associated with since 1988. Of course there are things that I can't mention but I think you can get the idea.
I guess testing is in my blood.
My whole purpose was to try to portray both positive and negative points about both these units so that ice fisherman that were looking to upgrade could have an unbiased opinion.
Honestly I think I did a pretty fair assessment according to the conditions I faced everyday on the ice last season.
I am not perfect but the LX-3 is darn close. MarCum's military engineering that fishes intriqued me.
I have received alot of positive feedback more so than the negative criticism for taking a shot at doing this test. I believe that MarCum along with it's camera line will be around for years to come. The LX-3 ice fishing system close to perfect. It's a company that is most certainly growing. Looking forward to seeing what they will come up with next.

Holy smokes my Browns are beating the Rams I gotta go.

Really quick I want to thank FM for allowing me to do the test last season and post results. Thank you...

Tim,
Its quite obvious to me you love your marcum. I remember last year you were the sole promotor. You must have spent countless hours typing. In Addition you say you personally condoned rigorous testing upon the LX 3, and I see by your recent posts you still go out test and report.
I was just curious to know why you do all this, can you give me some background on yourself?

Iceboy
The Marcum has no problems going through the ice. I used my Marcum for the first time this weekend and I was very satisfied with it results. I am unable to compair them to a FL 18 since I have never used that unit but with all the hype I was hoping that the LX 3 would be as good as it sounded and it truly was. I was not disappointed at all nice crisp display the only problem I see with it is the the Orange color will kind of blend in with the Red but it isn't that big of a problem either. I wouldn't mind seeing a different 3rd color but you can manage after all the only important colors are the yellow to show fish and the red to show that the fish is going to bit. All and All for $300 it was money well spent and I know that it will met all my needs for the next few years. I was able to find a year old demo unit. I still have the FL 8 and it isn't going anywhere I take lots of people fishing that have never used electronics so now I can let them use the Vex while I used the marcum. I did for curiosity drop both my units in the same hole at the same time and with only 2 units I had no problem canceling out the interference but I know you start messing with 3 or 4 units you could be in for it. Several of the guys on the forum here that keep bragging the FL 18 have never used a Marcum they are just diehard Vexilar users and there is nothing wrong with that because Vex are great I just don't feel that they are the best for the money anymore. But everyone has there favorites which ever unit you purchase you will like because they both are good. Thanks again to all the guys that purchased both units and tested them so that I only had to but the one. Thanks again to CNY Tim for your unbias opinion.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

I would just like to say that one of the reasons I switched was because of the excitement the marcum owners have. Most of them have owned both unit so they can give non bias comments. It seems that the marcum owners like the vex but there is just another level that is reached with the marcum. I believe in a few years there is going to be alot more people switching and not worring what there buddies have because they are tired of second best. It`s good that we as icefisherman have the choices so the companies have to stay on there toes. Fish On

I have only read the last page of this thread, but I think I can get the jist of what is going on here.

Let me start by saying that yes, I am on Marcum's pro-staff, so yes, I might seem a little biased on what I have to say.

I will also say that I have never owned a Vexilar. For the past 6 years I have used an old Humminbird Jimmy Houston Pro Flasher. I paid $100 for the unit and a battery brand new. I could have bought the more expensive Vex, but at the time, I could not justify paying $200 more for a unit when all I really needed to know was where the bottom was, where my jig was and where the fish were. This unit held up really quite well for a very long time. I still use it on the back of my boat.

Also, the Marcum pro-staff on this site have paid, yes paid for their units. They were not given to us, we bought them just like you. The fact that we were willing to pay for these units shows how much we believe in the product.

I had the chance to use Rick's Marcum last year up on Crow Lake in Canada and was highly impressed. I was sold on the unit immediately.

The unit does what I want a flasher to do, and that is accurately show 1) The Bottom, 2) My Lure and 3) Fish in relationship to my lure and the bottom.

I'm not trying to say what unit is better, because they are both great units. I AM saying however, that if you decide to purchase a Marcum, that you will not be dissapointed, in fact you will LOVE it!

I am also not trying to convert those who have Vex's over to the Marcum fold, that's like trying to persuade Earnhardt Jr. fans to become Gordon fans or Chevy truck drivers to go and buy an F150..it just aint gonna happen!!

I hope those of you who have read this thread have enough information to make an honest and informed decision putting the product bashing aside.

NOW GET OUT AND FISH!!!

------------------
>"////=<
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. # 841
www.marcum.com

I just received an interested tid bit. The LX 3 Boasts 1500 watts of power but the transducer can only handle 400 watts.

correction: 300 watts

[This message has been edited by Bigguns1 (edited 12-10-2003).]

Sorry bigguns, I didn't do anything here..read your next post, it's in there.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-10-2003).]

Its fact according to vexilar staff. I've been writing back and forth to a guy from vexilar asking about future plans and what they have to say about Marcum. Its nice to hear their side. Not sure if posting the emails is appropiate or not. The Vex staff said it was alright but I don't know if rick will approve it.

[Note form Rick..you asked for my approval....
Bigguns,
you are saying the boys at Vexilar are giving you information trying to discredit MarCum. Their statement means exactly what with respect to MarCum's performance and effect on anglers?

Frankly I'm a little surprised Vexilar is even doing this with you Bigguns. Says something about Vexilar's competition worries with respect to the MarCum line-up, that's for sure.

Have them step up and mail me a statement signed by Tom or Mitch stating exactly what you just said with an explanation of exactly what that means with respect to MarCum's performance and I will post what they have to say about that.

Until then, your post means the vex crew is telling you that the MarCum transducer only receives 400 watts...correction 300 watts. We'll wait to see if Mitch or Tom steps up to send me that piece of mail.

Vex has always been cutting edge. I have never heard them come out after a competitor like this before. They have always had such a huge advantage in what they made and never needed to.

I have a friend who told me...when they start attacking YOU...that's when you know you're arriving on the scene.

MarCum and Vexilar
Now we have two great units for ice fishing smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-10-2003).]

Let me make it clear that I'm only conversing with one person here, and its not tom or mitch. I realize I said "Staff", by which I meant one person. And I agree, the responses I've received have sounded defensive, With little fact involved. I'm waiting on an explanation. We'll see tommorow.

One more thing, I didn't contact vexilar to start a bashing ceremony. I simply asked how they felt about their competition, and what they're doing in the future to stay in the game.

Bigguns,

No shots fired here! My gun refused to work grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Seriously though, interested in seeing how this plays out, as I've heard from a couple of very reliable sources that Vexilar's running scared and has been trying to discredit other manuf's. Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.

Like Tom posted earlier. We all paid for our flashers!!!! We use them, promote them, because we believe that they are currently the best thing going. That's what this site is for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Leading Edge Technology!!!!!!!! & Marcum has it going right now smile.gif

------------------
Paul
[email protected]
Marcum
Otter Outdoors

Paul,
Its funny you shaould say that,.....In the email response he said something to the effect of "the only reason those guys are raving about the product is because they got the units for free and are just working as promoters"

Total Fallacy!!!!

I would be more than open to meeting up with anyone on the ice for a little hands on demo! I have both the Marcum and the Vex. You can test drive them side by side and you decide. All you have to do is give me a call. c-651-247-6053

------------------
Paul
[email protected]
Marcum
Otter Outdoors

Rick, I made a mistake, I am Speaking to a guy named Tom, I won't give a last name though. I saved the emails with his name right on them. If I get a good response from him tommorow, I'll post it. And I'll even put it in quotes. wink.gif