• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birds Everywhere!!!!

Hawg

Hoping to hear some reports from you southern Minnesota guys seeing new arrivals soon. This is probably the best time to give the feeders a good cleaning. Plain old dawn and water is my go to, any better suggestions?

7 hours ago, Hawg said:

Hoping to hear some reports from you southern Minnesota guys seeing new arrivals soon. This is probably the best time to give the feeders a good cleaning. Plain old dawn and water is my go to, any better suggestions?

Might throw a little bleach in the bucket too.   Probably a recommended method on the web someplace if you wanna look for it.  

Swans have been around in small numbers for a couple weeks but today I’m seeing lots more and the Canada geese came in decent numbers today.  Got about 40 swans and a dozen honkers roosting by the house tonight.

A friend from Andover said he saw some goldeneyes last week.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see some here tomorrow at this rate.  Gonna hang a wood duck box tomorrow and spring clean the other old one.

These birds are pretty close to their regular calendar time but this just has the feeling of an early spring.  Crossing my fingers!!!

Saw a drake hooded merganser this afternoon.

A lone hen goldeneye had up to 8 drakes displaying for her simultaneously as she napped on the ice edge.  Watching them tossing their heads back and then stretching it high and forward made us chuckle.  A bunch of groupies.

Was up in the Bdub a few days ago, your usual Ravens and Whiskey Jacks, some grouse tracks on the portage.

But what was unusual were the Crossbill's, they had a field day with our pee area. The salt maybe?

They were constantly around in a flock of ten or so, even witnessed some mating. 

The males were all dolled up.

WWCR_JRTrimble-2.jpg

Edited by Duffman

Does anyone resort to shooting unprotected birds to keep them away? For the first time since I’ve been feeding birds, a starling showed up at my feeders. Now there are 2. It will only be a matter of time until there’s flocks of them. I can keep the squirrels at bay with guards, but it would seem shooting starlings with a pellet gun would be the only option in eliminating them.

19 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Does anyone resort to shooting unprotected birds to keep them away? For the first time since I’ve been feeding birds, a starling showed up at my feeders. Now there are 2. It will only be a matter of time until there’s flocks of them. I can keep the squirrels at bay with guards, but it would seem shooting starlings with a pellet gun would be the only option in eliminating them.

Mist net, let the good ones go.   Euthanize the starlings.

https://www.nixalite.com/product/mist-net

Starling traps...  https://www.nixalite.com/products/bird-traps

Edited by delcecchi

1 hour ago, JBMasterAngler said:

I’m seeing swans everywhere! Are these resident trumpeter swans, or tundra swans heading up north? Can you tell the difference between the two at glance/distance?

no these were to far away.  but I'm guessing trumpeter...