• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birds Everywhere!!!!

Hawg

I have a brown thrasher that came back again this year and a bunch of Harris sparrows. I never could figure out what the Harris sparrow were, they are so big I never looked at sparrow pages when trying to see what they were. They look more like a black headed grosbeak. I finally have red breasted grosbeaks again, have not seen them for years in any numbers. So far, so good. 

On 5/15/2020 at 7:23 PM, chaffmj said:

I haven't either but people that live near me are seeing them so quit your crying smurfy. 

Just kidding! ?

:cry:? i'll quit now...……..seen one at the feeder yesterday!!!!!!!!!?

Just had a strange one.    There was a bird that looked a lot like a hairy woodpecker sitting in the grass pecking away.   Flew away, was back in a very short time doing it some more.   Was not a flicker, they are brown with yellow.   This was black and white and robin sized.   Is this the evil sapsucker?   Eating ants?   

I'm noticing the gold finches have disappeared. I had some coming to the feeders now basically none. i was thinking nesting but I looked them up and they don't nest until July.

The other birds are going nuts a jar of jelly only lasts 3 days. 

Just would like to keep the tree rat out of the feeders.

On 5/24/2020 at 8:51 AM, fishingstar said:

I'm noticing the gold finches have disappeared. I had some coming to the feeders now basically none. i was thinking nesting but I looked them up and they don't nest until July.

The other birds are going nuts a jar of jelly only lasts 3 days. 

Just would like to keep the tree rat out of the feeders.

pellet rifle will discourage them.

Once again almost all my birds have disappeared. I had my yard sprayed for mosquitoes, do you think there is any Correlation? Could it be a smell or something to do with the chemicals? 

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

Once again almost all my birds have disappeared. I had my yard sprayed for mosquitoes, do you think there is any Correlation? Could it be a smell or something to do with the chemicals? 

Maybe??? No bugs for the birds to eat. There also nesting. Haven't had alot of birds either!

Sure am overrun with dragonflies this year,  there must still be bugs in the air. Never seen so many dragonflies, I had a thought maybe all the gnats and other flying bugs won’t land in my grass so the air above the yard is a feast?!?

9 hours ago, chaffmj said:

My guess is a phoebe. However the phoebe and the eastern kingbird do look a lot alike. 

I’m going with eastern phoebe after reading about both.  Small bird - smaller than how a kingbird is described.

4 hours ago, smurfy said:

this is a trick question isnt it??????????

It has been for me!!!!

Thanks guys!

Edited by Wanderer

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

I’m going with eastern phoebe after reading about both.  Small bird - smaller than how a kingbird is described.

It has been for me!!!!

Thanks guys!

We have phoebe's nesting in our yard and when they are perched they flick their tail a lot.