• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

Hawg

Birds Everywhere!!!!

Ask and ye shall receive. Now I have so many orioles, lots of young ones, I'm going thru almost a jar of jelly every 2 days! I wouldn't think they would be migrating thru going south yet would they? The catbirds like it too and I have about 1/2 dozen of those. They are pretty neat birds. I also have about a dozen of some kind of sparrow hang around that I can't identify. I can't take good enough pictures to post or I would. They are big birds and the closest I can come is a white crowned but they are not white on top of their heads, that's brown but have black and white stripes over the eyes like white crowned. Also their chests are mottled yellowish brown and darker brown. No yellow patch or white throat like a white throated. Broken white stripes on the wings and lower back. Bill is dark gray on top and light translucent whitish (not really pink?) and they actually look a lot like a female Grossbeak but I know they aren't. Seems one of the sexes are a little browner than white on the head stripes.   They are brown around the eyes but do have a thin white area below that to neck but the white does not go under the bill/throat. I'm searching websites but still can't find them.

Edited by Hawg

I had a brainstorm today to try a game camera, working on making it work now. Just watch, it'll turn out to be the most common variety, but none of the pictures I've seen cover it on all details. I might get a camera picture also because these are not very skidish birds. I got pretty close yesterday. 

you might be seeing a female rose breasted grosbeak chic. just had another pop into a feeder. they are not spooked as easily as sparrows

821a.jpg

That was my first thought, and it might be right but I never see any adults so I kind of dismissed it. That’s very very possible though. 

I'm convinced they are grosbeaks now because I've seen a couple young males like the one in this photo on the far end. They are a week or so older and showing their color now. These are a little fuzzy, first try with a game camera mounted and focus needs to be more straight on I think but at least I finally got pictures. So what do I have in the second picture? Are they just younger ones or finches, young purple maybe? I have a ton of the grosbeaks now but zero mature males, in fact I think I've seen only 1 or 2 all summer. That's why I doubted that's what they were.

STC_0047.JPG

STC_0078.JPG

Edited by Hawg

nice to have a buncha rose breasted grosbeaks around. The second pic looks to be maybe house finch. pine siskins would be a bit smaller and have a yellowish beak. try setting the trail cam back a bit and then crop it? might get a better focus. house finch overload here right now. :) 

Eyeguy, I left the camera out for 1 day and had 800+ pictures, some very good photos but lots of tube feeders blowing in the wind too so those went to the other end of the feeder for a couple days. Then in a moment of stupidity I x'd out of the wrong window and poof, all gone. That's a bad angle for focus, it's just my game camera dangling about 1 -1 1/2 foot away on a piece of junk angle iron at a bad angle but it worked for my purpose. I had it on 8 MP, I'll try further away and 10 MP.  I will say it does look pretty dumb. I had lots of clear worse looking pictures of the bird from hell but they got deleted. 

gotta love wind and trail cams. :)   so much fun looking at a couple hundred pics of grass and then 1 deer. LOL moved that camera! 

What is the little bird under the woodpecker? That's like mine isn't it? House sparrow?

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

What is the little bird under the woodpecker? That's like mine isn't it? House sparrow?

pretty sure that's a house finch chick. 

Glad you posted the warbler. I have so many nuthatches I may have had these and never even noticed. I be more observant now. 

I got home from up nort, and put a couple of sunflower seed feeders out and refilled one suet feeder...   And put some water in a flowerpot sauce on the deck rail, and here they come.   Didn't take them long....

17 hours ago, going4it said:

How common are eastern kingbirds? First year I’ve seen them and they have been all over. 

plenty around

I never learn. Last week I was going thru a jar of grape jelly every 2 days, went and bought 3 more jars, and the Orioles are gone. Oh well, it doesn't spoil.

Edited by Hawg

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

I never learn. Last week I was going thru a jar of grape jelly every 2 days, went and bought 3 more jars, and the Orioles are gone. Oh well, it doesn't spoil.

usually the way it goes. when i had my jelly out there were alot of other birds feasting on it.

finally seen a pair of morning doves around this past weekend. all this rain its getting to be kinda a pain to keep the feeders with dry seeds!!!!!

Lots of doves still here. It's kind of fun to watch the young ones come with their parents. The young ones hardly ever seem to be at the feeder alone.

5 hours ago, smurfy said:

usually the way it goes. when i had my jelly out there were alot of other birds feasting on it.

finally seen a pair of morning doves around this past weekend. all this rain its getting to be kinda a pain to keep the feeders with dry seeds!!!!!

get a different feeder :)