• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birds Everywhere!!!!

Hawg

I’ve got these new birds around and I’m going to get a picture one of these days. They look like a faded Oriole , a little more yellow but the same body shape. They love the grape jelly but then they’ll fly next-door to the ladies house who has a bunch of potted plants in her yard and start eating the flowers off them. I looked in both my bird books and they look exactly like a female orchard orioles. But they can’t be because I’ve got so many and none of them are males as they appear in the book. I’ll just keep watching and try to get a picture.

Like in JBs post, I’m starting to think they are Warblers. Havent been around the last couple days though. What happened to this year, we are already talking about southern migration?!?!

On 7/29/2020 at 1:48 PM, Hawg said:

I’ve got these new birds around and I’m going to get a picture one of these days. They look like a faded Oriole , a little more yellow but the same body shape. They love the grape jelly but then they’ll fly next-door to the ladies house who has a bunch of potted plants in her yard and start eating the flowers off them. I looked in both my bird books and they look exactly like a female orchard orioles. But they can’t be because I’ve got so many and none of them are males as they appear in the book. I’ll just keep watching and try to get a picture.

My little yellow birds grew into Orioles! I guess I never noticed them when they were that young before.  

On 9/1/2020 at 12:02 PM, Hawg said:

Migration has to be starting soon, what a weird summer. What order will birds start to disappear in? Orioles go pretty early, right? I like watching the northern birds migrate thru too. 

I was up in Itasca county this past weekend, well since Tuesday. I think the hummingbirds are heading south. There sure weren't many around. Plenty here in cold spring yet. Think the loons are headed south to. I was on 5 different lakes and one seen 1 adult with 2 youngins!!

I heard the crackles and red wing blackbirds already left. No loss there though.

13 hours ago, smurfy said:

I was up in Itasca county this past weekend, well since Tuesday. I think the hummingbirds are heading south. There sure weren't many around. Plenty here in cold spring yet. Think the loons are headed south to. I was on 5 different lakes and one seen 1 adult with 2 youngins!!

I heard the crackles and red wing blackbirds already left. No loss there though.

Still getting hummingbirds up here in Ely but with the cold temps we are having I don't expect to see them much longer.

awesome pictures as usual chaffmj!!!!!!!!

still have hummingbirds around. had 5 morning doves under the feeders this weekend. and the feeders are getting hit hard with purple and yellow finches!!!! pretty sure most are just on the way through headed to warmer destinations.

we still have hummers flying a round. the Orioles left in last weeks cold spell. The finches are putting the feed bag on and still holding there color. I had some bald face hornets take over my jelly and hummer bird feeders. Seamed to chase most of the birds away. After I pulled the jelly the hornets stopped coming a round now other birds are back and look more relaxed. I hope those hornets don't comeback next year they are a bad one-just-like-silly-me looking bug.

10 hours ago, smurfy said:

still have hummingbirds around. had 5 morning doves under the feeders this weekend. and the feeders are getting hit hard with purple and yellow finches!!!! pretty sure most are just on the way through headed to warmer destinations.

Pulled our hummingbird feeders tonight after 3 days with out seeing any. Can't wait for the bears to go to sleep so I can put out sunflower seeds and suet again! Ran into this guy while biking yesterday. I told him it was time to take a long nap soon!

1892616043_DSC01400_2(2).thumb.jpg.d5c43938178254ad27dfddb55b139241.jpg

Edited by chaffmj

4 hours ago, fishingstar said:

we still have hummers flying a round. the Orioles left in last weeks cold spell. The finches are putting the feed bag on and still holding there color. I had some bald face hornets take over my jelly and hummer bird feeders. Seamed to chase most of the birds away. After I pulled the jelly the hornets stopped coming a round now other birds are back and look more relaxed. I hope those hornets don't comeback next year they are a bad one-just-like-silly-me looking bug.

Fishinstar, when those dang things star showing up I put out wasp traps. I got them at fleet farm years back. Just put some hummingbird juice in them.  I usually have to redo them about every 3 days now.