• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birds Everywhere!!!!

Hawg

all the birds at the bird bath just drink...  today I had a flicker hit it!!   what fun!!  head under, then wings in, backed in and oh my did he love it!!!!!  fun to watch!!!!  

Edited by Mike89

Finally, lots of orioles, hummers, & catbirds. Still can’t get a goldfinch or grosbeak to come to the feeder. Young squirrels sure are great entertainment though, and after reading up on cowbirds I have a new target for the pellet gun. 

seems our orioles bailed, have seen one in over a week???????

hawg, whats the knock on cowbirds??? i'll have to check it out. 

i dint live in a wooded enough area to attract red breasted grosbeaks.........but do have a pair at the cabin!!!? we do see some yellow and purple finches!!!!!!!

Just one arrival from Audubon Society.              

Its spread has represented bad news for other songbirds: Cowbirds lay their eggs in nests of other birds. Heavy parasitism by cowbirds has pushed some species to the status of "endangered" and has probably hurt populations of some others.

https://www.audubon.org › bird › b...

Brown-headed Cowbird | Audubon Field Guide

I started to get a few hummingbirds a few weeks ago but they are getting more and more scarce. Do you guys that get lots of them stick to the 4 to 1 sugar/water ratio for nectar this time of year? It’s always tempting to go a little heavier but does that hurt the nectar? 

i really never have alot of hummingbirds here in town where i live, but i notice i have competition in the neighborhood. with that being said, this is what i was told a long time ago if you make your own bird juice. mix it 3 to 1 when they arrive in spring and again in the fall when they start heading south. this is supposed to help them build up after or before there long journey.  the 4 to 1 ratio during the summer to me hasnt not reduced the amount of hummers i get. 

sometimes less means there nesting and/or they have more varieties and flowers available to feed on. 

up at the cabin i noticed a sharp decline in hummers compared to this spring. we arent there all the time to keep the feeders full but this fall again i expect to fill those feeders 2-3 times  in the 4-7 days i'll be there!!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

the bird bath wasn't to bad but I gave a full cleaning this morning to get ready for the heat wave..  the birds seem to be happy!!  

I did that last week. I bring it up by the house, add bleach and water till it's full and let it set a couple hours. 

I got one of them cement bird baths 

Lots of young orioles and cardinals now. An occasional hummer but not many. purple finches are slicking at least one whole tube feeder daily. Is anybody else seeing a chipmunk explosion? I have one that follows me around the yard, even when I cut the grass, chirping till I feed him. If I’m sitting on the back patio he sits on my foot and clucks.  Just don’t have the heart to scare him off or worse, he’s kind of cute. 

Edited by Hawg

? when my dad was alive, he had chimpmunks feeding out of his hands up at the cabin. we leave them be, but the red squirrels get shot!!!!!!!

as far as birds........got hummers, see cardinals in the morning and evening......both purple and yellow finches around. i took both the jelly feeder and liquid oriole feeder down last week. hadnt seen 1 in the 2 previous week...and always happens this time of year!!!!!

Edited by smurfy

I have go from going through a jar of jelly in 4 to 5 days one lasting a week. I'm still getting finches and hummers but not like they were two weeks ago. 

I did have a coon problem that I think I do have under control now I got 9 of them but haven't had one come on the deck for two days. I was taking videos of them on my deck I think they wait until they get to my deck to dump.

Update, just finished that last post and Woody was standing out in the open about 50+ ft away by the shed. I hit him hard with a .22 short cb, rolled him right over. He got up and took off. It’s amazing how fast they can run! I have to believe he hurts REAL bad. Oh well, at least I don’t have to pick him up and get rid of him. 

I’m going thru a jar of grape jelly every two days now for orioles. I know they are one of early birds to head south, makes me wonder if they are putting on the feed bag  to go south because of the drought? Starting to get lots of house sparrows which seem to dominate the safflower feeders. Less purple finches may be the results?

you sure those arent the english sparrows???? been seeing alot of them lately.  and i didnt think the house sparrows eat safflower....????????

i took my oriole feeders down a long time ago............seems by july they bail on me. especially when the wasps start showing up. 

cardinals still are noisy as ever, plenty of hummingbirds this year and a few doves. along with yellow finches, purple finches and a few robins!!!!!!!!

Just catching up and reading about the rodents.  I don’t get into feeding the birds like you guys do but I enjoy watching some of them.  The most fun I’ve had is getting within 5 feet of a couple Tom turkeys trying to fight their reflection in the bumper of my truck.

We’ve been having a lot of acorns drop but it’s already slowing down.  Lots of squirrels and chipmunks plus a woodchuck.  Reds are dead, chipmunks get a pass as long as they’re not burrowing in the yard or getting into the roof.  Grays, blacks and fox squirrels have no worries.  The one Chuck is now nonechuck.  Took a few attempts - quick young male - but he stopped to see where I was once.  Oops…

Had some visitors for coffee this morning.

FED7D067-E239-4EF0-A0EF-9BEA27FAA99E.thumb.jpeg.c017a0ae68a124fbe26ef503f40104fe.jpeg

? nice!!!!!!!! when i was younger i coulda cared less about feeding the birds!!!!!!! then my dad started in. still didnt care much. when i married my wife she started to want to, so here i am a bird feeding nut. especially up north at the cabin.in the woods. we get these morning and evening grosebesks in the winter. beautiful birds. i havent seen them in a while but at one time we had 6 flying squirrels up there. 

now i kinda try to put things out there to try and entice the deer and grouse to feed around the cabin. i haul some maple leaves up in the fall.......only can fill the yard waste bin so often and so full. pretty cool to see during the winter months the deer dig them out of the snow!!!!!!!!