• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birds Everywhere!!!!

Hawg

23 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Love that bear in the tree picture.

We are up by jessie and bowstring lake in Itasca county and haven't had issues with bear with the sunflower seeds or suet cakes in a long time.

Drove by the Spring Lake Store for the first time last week after taking a mattress to the dump. I'm like "Uh oh, Smurf territory."  :D

Bear took out the in-laws crab apple tree 3 weeks ago on the south side of Jessie.

29 minutes ago, Duffman said:

Drove by the Spring Lake Store for the first time last week after taking a mattress to the dump. I'm like "Uh oh, Smurf territory."  :D

Bear took out the in-laws crab apple tree 3 weeks ago on the south side of Jessie.

??oh Yea you were really close. When you took the bend just past the old school, we are just up 29 a bit and a right into the woods.

South side of Jessie, gotta be close to Riley's.

Edited by smurfy

19 hours ago, smurfy said:

Fishinstar, when those dang things star showing up I put out wasp traps. I got them at fleet farm years back. Just put some hummingbird juice in them.  I usually have to redo them about every 3 days now.

thanks for the tip I will have to try them next year. I have them by my apple trees trying to keep them out of the apples.

7 more inches of snow expected here today, the birds are struggling to find ground seeds. Anybody getting any unusual birds migrating thru? I have a ton of Purple Finches, Juncos and some sparrows I don't recognize but they must be booking tickets south soon to I would think.? Hope we get a little decent weather before winter but the forecast is low 30's for the next week. I've been blowing a path for spreading seeds the last 2 days for the ground feeders but hoping this melts as fast as the Tuesday snow did so that's not needed. It's way toooooo early.

5 minutes ago, smurfy said:

about the same mix of birds here in cold spring as you got Hawg!!!!!! still  a few robins hanging in there too. couple days ago musta had 40 to 50 robins out back. thinkin they booked there flight south. 

Just when I was asking myself last weekend if the robins were still around/when was the last time I’d seen them, a flock of about 5 went through my trees southbound.

i finally figured out why i have so many robins hanging around yet. the neighbor has a couple of them mountain ash trees, i think??? LOL! that has the berries on them. they sure are hanging around that tree. some even act like there a little loopy!!!!!

58 minutes ago, Hawg said:

Wish the God dang blue jays migrated, they use their beaks to sweep seeds out of the seed feeder, i think the squirrels are paying them (or Antifa ?).

but they sure are fun to watch, for me any way!!!   LOL!!!

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

Wish the God dang blue jays migrated, they use their beaks to sweep seeds out of the seed feeder, i think the squirrels are paying them (or Antifa ?).

? i agree, we have 8 regulars at the cabin, they make a mess, but its help feeding the juncos, and squirrels. enjoy watching the 2 black squirrels we have there.

here at home same thing but only a couple blue jays. the other day we had a big old pileated woodpecker hanging from the feeder, it was hilarious watching him try to hand on that feeder. he had the feedbag on!!!!!!!!

dang awesome pictures Chaffmj!!!!!!!?? i went through almost a 40 lb bag of sunflower seeds the 12 days i was up at deer camp......and no i wasnt baiting deer!!!!!!!!!!!?

about thrusday i had roughly 20 of the evening grosebeaks arrive but have not seen the pine grosebeaks yet. we have had 2 black squirrels for quiet some time all of a sudden there where 2 more...4 total!!!!! was fun watching them chase each other around.

kinda bummer though as i havent seen the flying squirrels in a while!!!!

7 hours ago, smurfy said:

about thrusday i had roughly 20 of the evening grosebeaks arrive but have not seen the pine grosebeaks yet. we have had 2 black squirrels for quiet some time all of a sudden there where 2 more...4 total!!!!! was fun watching them chase each other around.

Funny I had the pine grosbeaks before the evening grosbeaks and only one or two at a time. By the way with all the bird feeding you were doing did you take the time to get a deer? ?

7 minutes ago, chaffmj said:

Funny I had the pine grosbeaks before the evening grosbeaks and only one or two at a time. By the way with all the bird feeding you were doing did you take the time to get a deer? ?

Yea got one, nuttin to brag about. Worse part I hit and tracked a buck for 4 hours sunday opening weekend and lost blood and I searched the whole area and didn't find it.?