• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need New Fishing Licence

reinhard1

Good reminder, RH! 

Fishing dates to remember

• Sunday, March 27: Last day for Mille Lacs Lake northern pike angling.
  • Thursday, March 31: Last day of fishing for lake trout statewide, and last day of fishing for stream trout in lakes statewide
  • Friday, April 15: Last day of catch-and-release stream trout fishing in southeastern Minnesota streams in Dodge, Goodhue, Fillmore, Houston, Mower, Olmsted, Wabasha and Winona counties
  • Saturday, April 16: Stream trout opener in streams statewide
  • Saturday, May 14: Minnesota fishing opener for walleye, bass and northern pike, and stream trout in lakes 

2016 fishing regulations online

The 2016 Minnesota Fishing Regulations are online 

Picked mine up.  I do wonder what's so magical about March 1st that it needs new licenses attached to it.  I really enjoyed the April/May thing we had a few years ago, but it did make the license lines even busier for walleye opener.  I feel like if they have to assign an arbitrary date for it to expire, make it Nov 30th/Dec 1st.  Hear me out:  There are a few of people that will ice fish before then but it's pretty rare, and you just need to buy it before YOU personally choose to start fishing for the year, whether it's winter ice, spring crappie thaw, bluegills on beds, or walleye in May. It's not tied to the start of a certain fishing season making a busy May weekend even busier.  This way, you can buy a license early in the winter, and have it good all the way through spring, summer and fall fishing.  Any ice fisherman will already have their licenses for walleye opener and it won't funnel people's buying habits into one weekend like it does now.  Just a thought, I guess.

I agree that Jan 1st probably makes the most sense, but that's a calendar year end/beginning and not some goofball arbitrary date.  The DNR chose Feb 28/Mar 1 for some goofy reason, I just don't know what.  I picked Nov 30/Dec 1 for the mentioned reasons.  Would you pick Jan 1 for any personal reason or just because it's easiest to remember? And believe me; I'd take Jan 1st over Mar 1st ten times out of ten. Just throwing this out there.

Edited by McGurk

1 hour ago, Duffman said:

For no other reason than a 2016 license should be good for all of 2016.

And as you said it'd also make it easier for folks to remember when to get a new one. 

What do you mean? I think my 3 year Snowmobile tags that expire in "JUNE" of 2016 make very good sense! :crazy::crazy::crazy:

A tag, just like any other game species in MN should be valid for the entire season. Fishing (in general panfish) never close. so here's my thought...Move it back to the start of walleye/northern opener, not the end!  My argument is that since panfish is all year long, the license you are buying is aimed for your "big game of water." Why does one need to purchase a license in March when "opener" isn't until May?  

15 minutes ago, smurfy said:

really don't matter to me. the dec 30 jan 1 makes most sense..............except when it may come to the shelter license. but I guess one could get the hang of that too!

In your case, lotsa practice may be needed. :lol:

2 hours ago, ClownColor said:

A tag, just like any other game species in MN should be valid for the entire season. Fishing (in general panfish) never close. so here's my thought...Move it back to the start of walleye/northern opener, not the end!  My argument is that since panfish is all year long, the license you are buying is aimed for your "big game of water." Why does one need to purchase a license in March when "opener" isn't until May?  

If you have walleye fever, you don't need to purchase a license in march, you need it in may.    You've got months to get it renewed, rather than clogging up every bait store the night before walleye opener with license sales.  Not that every bait store isn't clogged up with that already.

You realize if you are a year round fisherman, then it makes absolutely no difference when it expires as long as you can remember you need to renew, in which case I think the strongest argument is Jan 1 - Dec 31.   But then the walleye fever people would be butthurt and every year, we'd see a post about remember to renew and everybody would complain they had to renew in the middle of the season.

Like most things fishing related in this state, it's all about that fish that tastes like the batter you fried it in and isn't offensive to the bland scandanavian palates.

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

really don't matter to me. the dec 30 jan 1 makes most sense..............except when it may come to the shelter license. but I guess one could get the hang of that too!

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

In your case, lotsa practice may be needed. :lol:

34 minutes ago, smurfy said:

:angry::angry::grin:

Is there any thread you guys don't flirt with each other in?  I thought you were told to get a room.  And that room is the cooking forum.