• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brand Wars...what ya got?!?!?!

lawdog

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've shot both Hoyt and Bowtech for the past two decades. I've had the last three Bowtechs to come out, mostly because I was on staff with Scheels and that was one of the brands I could shoot. They cancelled their staff program last year, so I'm not as "locked into" Bowtech as I was previously.

I'm shooting the Bowtech Experience from last year still. I like this bow quite a bit- I like the draw cycle, it's reasonably fast, and is quiet.

I shoot about a 10 year old Matthews switchback. I love the bow, but I feel guilty I don't get enough time with it, for what I paid for it!

I loved my old switchback. I wish I still had it. I got rid of it when my wife bought me a new Z7 as a wedding present in 2010. I like the Z7 too. I'm sure I Will have it for a long time. It draws nice, and I can shoot it well. I've taken quite a few critters with it already. I look forward to many more.

Have a Hoyt Vectrix XL as backup to my Hoyt Maxxis 35. I won a Mathews Drenalin a few years ago, took it elk hunting, then sold it and bought the Maxxis 35. So I'm a Hoyt fanboy I guess. I originally started buying Hoyts cause I thought they were the most durable and reliable bow out there. But truthfully, they're all good, and I kind of regret selling that Drenny.

Lots of Hoyts. Interesting because I never hear anybody but Michael Waddell talk about Hoyt.

More PSE's than I expected, I thought I was more of an outcast than I guess I am.

I would imagine a good bit of this is dictated by the best bow shop in your area & what they sell... That can go a long ways to what you buy I think. Hard to beat good service and help in the buying process.

Lots of Hoyts. Interesting because I never hear anybody but Michael Waddell talk about Hoyt.

More PSE's than I expected, I thought I was more of an outcast than I guess I am.

I would imagine a good bit of this is dictated by the best bow shop in your area & what they sell... That can go a long ways to what you buy I think. Hard to beat good service and help in the buying process.

I currently shoot a Hoyt Alphamax 32.

In re: your comment - There are lots of guys that shoot Hoyt "in the industry". I just don't think Hoyt spends as much money on tv show "celebs" to have them using their bows. They do have guys like Waddell, Bill Winke, and some others, such as some of the best western hunters like Randy Ulmer, Cameron Hanes, etc. I'd guess they have a nice share of the market, and many of the professional competition archers still shoot Hoyt.

As far as PSE, that isn't a surprise to me. PSE makes a nice bow, at a more mid-market price, and they are one of the few bow brands that Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander, i.e., the "box stores" carry - likely the top brand available at those stores which get the most hunter traffic and hunter dollars.

Now days there are lots of bow brands that are making nice bows. Its just about personal preference and the size of one's pocket book.

2011 Martin exile..

Lucky for me I found a good deal online and picked it up. Hadn't had much to do with bows before this but have seem to adapt well to it! Proshop helped get me going with the extras and here we are.

If I had to do it over I would have shot others first but this worked out and saved some cash.

All Midwest whitetail also do and so do most the Jordan clan. Either way the new bows now are all good you need to shoot a few bows and go back the one you don't want to set down don't buy because of the name.

As far as PSE, that isn't a surprise to me. PSE makes a nice bow...

My brother shot a Hoyt for at least a couple decades. When Scheels dropped their prostaff program, as I mentioned above, he started looking at some other options, mostly just for the sake of change and because he wasn't locked into Hoyt like he had been. He ended up shooting a PSE Freak and thought "What the heck?", and gave it a try. He loves it! He, just like me and a lot of others, didn't have the PSE mojo before that. However, he shoots that bow better than any other bow he's ever owned. ...and he's a guy who has shot a ton of 300 60Xs in competitive archery. I was pretty well locked into Bowtech, Hoyt, or Elite for my next bow, but I may have to take a peak at PSE too.

Hoyt Rampage XT for the past 2 years. Great bow for my budget. A lot of features for the price.

I tried a PSE, don't remember which one, a Mission something, and a Bowtech assasin (I think) All in roughly the same price range and I just liked how the Hoyt felt.

So far I'm happy with my choice.

Nels

Brands I have hunted with over the years, High country, Onieda, Hoyt, Bear, Mathews. Current bow, Mathews outback. I will hold onto this one for a few more years and then look at the newer stuff. Lightweight, fast,and compact. Kind of like an old pair of shoes, just feels right!

Tunrevir~

Geez I'm getting old school...

I'm still toting around a Matthews LX. I have the draw weight set at about 57 pounds the last time I checked and still hit baseball size groups out to 50 yards. It makes those 20-25 yard MN shots much easier.

I keep thinking about upgrading this or that on it but I'm comfortable with what I have. I almost don't want to try a new bow for fear I'll have to whip out the big coin to stay happy!! eek

Unless mine breaks, my next new bow will most likely be a nice recurve.

Been shooting a PSE for 20 yrs, fisrt one was a Nova, then I picked up the 2011 modle PS dream season. crazy fun. Love it its so freaking fast to what im used to the release and the sound of the arrow hitting the target is one sound together pretty much.

Matthews Reezen the last 5 years, Hoyt Magnatec that I really liked prior. Yes, local shop has a lot to do with it- sights and rests too. Lots of Bowtechs and Matthews and Hoyts in our league but any of the newer bows are great. Would like to check out Elite and PSE next go around. Seen it here a million times: the best bow is the one that just feels right.

With bad shoulders, I was thinking of buying a 50 pounder this winter. That new Hoyt Nitrum 34 looks really tempting. Will maybe shoot a few this winter to see what feels best. I'm thinking I could go to a 50 pound Nitrum and still get the same speed I'm getting with my Maxxis 35 now. Would lose nothing but some pain in my shoulders.