• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN 2013

triggertrav

So I am going to try and make this somewhat of a read. I have mentally tempted to do this for a couple years now because how much I enjoy the others that have done this, but I have failed to actually put the words on paper and make a story about it. So here goes….

I finally made an effort to try and hunt deer locally here in central MN this year. Over the past few years, I have not had the time between family, work, and life in general. I have a great friend that lets me hunt his property and it is God’s country.

Here are a few views from my stand back in mid-October.

IMG_0081_zps9b21039e.jpg

IMG_0079_zps73c6a182.jpg

IMG_0073_zps64ed16b9.jpg

I did not get a chance to get back in the woods until the end of the month. From then until Wednesday the 6th was a amazing time to be in the woods. I was seeing deer, but not a large quantity of them. I was sneaking out mornings for a few hours or for an evening sit when time allowed. I saw somewhere in the range of 7-9 different bucks (all but 3 were 1 ½ year olds) and only one doe. I rattled in a nice you eight along with a ten (I got some nice video of the ten).

One of the mornings, walking to my stand in the pitch black, I somehow snuck up on a couple of angry bucks that must have had it in for each other. It was too dark to see them, but they were close. Banging horn, bustin’ trees and leaves/dirt flying, they were all out fighting. They were so close I could smell the stink of a couple old bruisers. On the way out of the woods that morning I found where they were fighting and it was 27 yards to the tree I was standing behind. The ground was a mess, trees de-barked, leaves, and dirt all over the place. I found a piece of a tine that was busted off. (the picture doesn't do much justice to the sight, but you can kind of get an idea)

IMG_0107_zps414b36ef.jpg

That morning on stand, I had only seen two little bucks and then this guy tried to sneak thru.

IMG_0105_zps90c01f1d.jpg

He stopped a 43 yards and gave me a little window to let one fly at him, and I hit him perfect. Never left the spot he stopped (he is now at the tannery).

Monday/Tuesday rain and wind so I opted not to sit either of those days (and the fact that I am leaving for KS for 10 days next week I figured that I should try and get some work done at the office). Wednesday I take the day off from work, pack a lunch, fresh snow on the ground, give mamma a kiss as she wishes me good luck and I am out the door. I am in my stand right about six AM. And now I wait.

Here are a few pictures of the beauty in the woods that morning.

IMG_0114_zps693142f2.jpg

IMG_0113_zps76c9842d.jpg

IMG_0111_zps94ba98ed.jpg

After a slow start to the day, I take a break from standing and sit my butt down just after 7:30. Not much time later as I scan left, right and back left, I see a deer coming thru the snow covered trees working his way right to me. I see horn on one side, BUCK! Unsure of size at this point I grab my bow and reach for my rangefinder instinctively. Then I process, this animal is coming right for me – no need for the rangefinder. CLIP ON YOUR RELEASE AND NOW! He clears the trees and I see good mass, long G-2 and nice spread. SHOOTER! I draw sitting down as the deer buzzes thru my first shooting lane. I find the next clearing and he is tracking to be right at 20 yards. Baah! He freezes. Whack! Kick! And he is gone. I watch him tear off and run about 50 yards and he disappears in the trees. HOLY dump! I AM THRILLED BEYOND.

From when I first saw this animal till he disappears, 30 seconds went by, MAX. I am confident I put a double lung punch on this bad boy. Yet I never heard him crash and the last I saw him he was on a 10-mile sprint at 100 mph, touching the ground only every 50 feet (it looked like). I was on my phone (texting/calling) for the next 20 minutes spreading my pure excitement, trying to settle down before I climb down. I go to impact point – no arrow, no blood, just a puff of hide. Follow his trail ten feet, 20 feet, arrow. BLOODY ARROW! Then I start seeing blood – sprayed. It was out 6 feet to his right! I am now ‘Thank the good Lord’ this deer is toast.

See picture, dirt in front shows foot prints, where my arrow is stuck in the snow is where the spray went to. (keeping in mind the animal is running from right to left)

20131106_081135_zps71afcd12.jpg

As bad as I wanted to go sprint after him, I backed out. One of my best buds had taken the day off to hunt, but was more than happy to help me track my animal. Along with that, my dad was off for the day, so I have a great team ready to roll about 2 hours after the shot. (Can’t beat those memories of tracking deer with great people)

We head in to start the process, which didn’t amount to much. 20 yards of tracking my buddy goes "There he is. THERE’S YOUR BUCK. HOLY $@#T." And then I did.

20131106_091922-1_zpsd1b8b555.jpg

20131106_092203-1_zps0a2d0219.jpg

IMG_0122_zpsafa13e3a.jpg

This buck is not only a beast, but for some reason I feel this deer was for me the minute I woke up that day. Gotta give credit. (And to my wonderful bride that puts up with my habits – no pics of her, though)

d9547ad3-eed8-49cd-84dc-844d87a8fb70_zps

I hope you all have a great and safe season.