• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower unit drain down! Did you win or lose?

leech~~

won, I never worry too much, its an easy fix.

Well only if people remember to drain them in the fall and the housing doesn't crack! eek

I have a buddy who leaves 2 boats and a pontoon in the water all year at the dock and just pulles them out and leaves them sit. They are all older motors and I think some day he will pay for not checking it! frown

I understand checking and draining milky water out, but to 'drain' all the oil seems a little overboard. But to each their own. smile

The cost for a quart of oil vs. the cost for a new lower unit more than makes up for draining it each year. It's the insurance factor and knowing you have good oil in there. Oil breaks down over time, and with the pressures and possible temperature extremes it goes through when in operation it can break down even faster. And unless you spend the money to have the oil lab tested each season how do you know it hasn't broken down? I'd rather spend $10 and 10 minutes of my time each year and know I will be good to go, rather than have a possibility of the oil going bad and spend $1000+ for a new lower unit.

I admit changing my lower unit is one of my least favorite things to do, but it gets done every Fall no matter what. I just wish someone would come up with a drain plug that wasnt a dang slotted head. Those things are a royal PITA! If there is one out there that is allen head, hex or something, please share because I would love it.

BTW I was a winner again. Its amazing how much water is held in the lower unit so make sure you guys lower the motor ALL the way down to make sure the water completely drains out. I have a feeling that is what led to the pic above versus water in the oil itself.