• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Christmas Day BBD

matchset

as many of you might already know; i've had a very long exciting and heart wrenching season. i've had the highest of high's (moose hunting) and the lowest of low's (missing a 155''+ buck). but yesterday i was truly blessed.

i was lucky enough to have a very supportive family, and work allowed me one day to hunt. Christmas Day!

i barely got any sleep on christmas eve, our family party went on into the early morning but i was determined to get out one "last" day bowhunting. i woke up at four, quickly brewing a pot of coffee. it was going to be a long day. i fired up the pick up and along i went. i hunted hard all day. Did i mention that i forgot to pack snacks, and that Nothing is open on Christmas smile one old fashioned doughnut is all i had.

by noon i had slipped into three different known wintering areas. the deer sightings were minimal, but soon as the sun popped out; so did the deer.

by two pm, i made my way to a secluded bedding area stand that i had hung earlier in the year. the area was thick and overlooked two giant rubs. things settled down and i soon had deer milling around my stand munching on aspen and dogwood buds.

4:15 i was getting antsy, i hadn't seen many bucks all day and was fearing that most had shed their antlers. then, a group of young bucks caught my attention. one was a half-rack and right then i knew that my season was over. but then, they all picked their heads up in one motion. looking back. getting nervous. i knew by their body posture that something was coming through the thickness. from the time he stepped out, till the time i released the arrow was about 6 seconds. the hit was good. slightly quartering away. my 2 inch rage penetrated 3/4 way thru his mature body.

the rest is history. the buck piled up after less than 100 yards.

i'm thankful to have such great friends, who were able to steal away from their family Christmas' to help me track and drag this big guy out.

A Christmas Day BBD. His body was gigantic, actually dwarfing his rack.

we green scored him at 163 3/8''

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

I'v been waiting for the story behind the pic I got last night.

Congrats and way to go you put your time in and deserve him. Isn't it 2 years in a row with 150" + bucks now with the bow? I have a felling we will be seeing your face next year with another one with the time you put into patterning the bucks.

If you still have a doe tag left and are around home this week we might have to make it out I got a couple spots with lots of does.

I'v been waiting for the story behind the pic I got last night.

Congrats and way to go you put your time in and deserve him. Isn't it 2 years in a row with 150" + bucks now with the bow? I have a felling we will be seeing your face next year with another one with the time you put into patterning the bucks.

If you still have a doe tag left and are around home this week we might have to make it out I got a couple spots with lots of does.

Thanks man! i really do put a lot of time into bowhunting mature whitetails; and you are correct! last years buck was 151 1/8'' and this years was 163 3/8''...

maybe i'll swing by your place, i won't be bringing him to the taxi till after the near year.

oh, and yes... i have one bonus tag left smile