• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow stand log

Archerysniper

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've sat twice and so far have had 8 deer in bow range. No horns yet but getting an itchy trigger finger having to let all these does walk. Zone 347 is bumming me out. I want to kill something. Rut is not coming fast enough.

Tru Fire T1 fixed blade. The shot wasn't very good but I can not figure out why I only got a few inches of penetration. I am shooting a new z7 at 70 pounds. I keep watching the video...so frustrating. The camera(hunting buddy who already filled his tag) lowered the camera just before my shot so I can not see if the deer ducked the arrow a bit or if I just screwed up. Still just sick to my stomach. This would have been my first bow kill. I was calm and steady....but didn't connect. ugh

Went out tonight and filled a bonus tag, had what I thought was a young doe come into 12 yards nailed it perfect and herd it run off and crash. The wife brought my 5 year old daughter out to help in the recovery and drag she had a blast easy trail to follow when we walked up to it, it turned out it had buttons frown. The little one was more then happy holding the legs for me when I gutted it.

I finally got out sunday night.( our season started friday)

The skeeters were unreal! cry I walked the short distance to where i planned to hunt; picked out a tree and fired up the thermo-cell! grin Then set up a ground stand. Had a small doe come in, but just didn't want to take the few extra steps into an opening.( i have bonus tags to use) saw three that night.

Went out tonight and filled a bonus tag, had what I thought was a young doe come into 12 yards nailed it perfect and herd it run off and crash. The wife brought my 5 year old daughter out to help in the recovery and drag she had a blast easy trail to follow when we walked up to it, it turned out it had buttons frown. The little one was more then happy holding the legs for me when I gutted it.

It happens the best of us sniper, had one fool me a couple years back. I normally study hard for buttons on the younger does but I think sometimes those early born buck fawns can get pretty large and look like a 1.5 year old doe.

Sat on a ridge next to an alfalfa field last night. Nothing came by me but there were 6 does/fawns feeding out there that came out on a different trail. Driving home I went past a fresh cut corn field that had about a dozen milling around in it.

This isn't from me, but my bro went out last night by himself and managed to harvest a mature doe. She was all by herself and he shot her broadside at 20 yards. He watched her run about 30 yards and pile up. He got in his stand at 4 and shot her at 6:20. He was pumped to say the least. He was shooting the new G5 T3 expandables. 1.5 inch hole and it was cutting on impact. I asked him how the broadhead looked and he said. "Dirty!"

The funny thing about this is he called me earlier in the day and said that he wasn't going to take his truck due to the long distance he needed to travel and he spent about $40 Monday filling it with gas. I told him be prepared to get your car dirty, because these are the times when you will end up getting a deer. Note to self...Bring the truck next time...

CA

The funny thing about this is he called me earlier in the day and said that he wasn't going to take his truck due to the long distance he needed to travel and he spent about $40 Monday filling it with gas. I told him be prepared to get your car dirty, because these are the times when you will end up getting a deer. Note to self...Bring the truck next time...

CA

Thats it...I'm taking my car from now on and leaving the truck at home. No deer so far while taking the truck. grin

Really, this post is almost to the 2nd page. C'mon guys, I know StickNString bagges his buck early, but the rest of us can still post yah know. I only check this thread about 8 times a day....

So, anyway, I'll post. Went out last night. Good night to be out. A little warm, mosquitos are making their last stand. Probably saw 20 does and fawns if not more, feeding in the alfalfa fields and picked corn. About 6:45, just about when I should be waiting for Mr. Big to walk out of the woods, about 150 geese take off from a slough, and fly low over the field circling looking for a place to land. All the deer spook and take off back in the woods, of course, I wait and about 7:05 with very little shooting time left, they all start piling back in the fields. I probably should have left when the geese chase them out of the field for me, but I still wanted to see what was going to come out. Maybe they would pick up a stud when the ran in the woods, anyway, no go. At the very last light I could pick out a lone deer 150 yards away. It was a very big bodied deer and looked like it had some junk on his head, but I cannot be forsure. It might have been wishful thinking.... Anyway, I am not going out this weekend, record heat. I might have to try and see if I can get those geese to land in some decoys instead of chasing the deer away.

Ya I can't say I am liking the weather report either but I am still going to give it a go this weekend. Odds appear to be stacked against us bowhunters right now but I am going to head way back in the swamp and see it I can't catch a buck at last light.

I sat last night and didn't see a thing. The deer have totally left the acorns up here in Frazee. The cam had no pics the last 9 days. The alfalfa is loaded with deer right now and the corn is starting to be picked so I have seen a lot in those fields too just driving around. Hopefully the rut gets here soon.

I went out on Tues. evening....It was warm and windy (SW wind). I saw a doe and a fork at 6:15 at 100 yards. At 6:40, I had a small 7 point and fork feed by my stand for 10 minutes. They finally got out of the area, and 5- 10 minutes later I saw my first good buck of the year. It was a real nice heavy 9 point (~ 125 inch) came by at 13 yards quartering away. It walked to 40 yards, and then came back and feed within 10 - 30 yards for a couple of more minutes.

I took all my will not to let the arrow fly!

My rule this year - "If I am questioning the size of the buck, then I should pass it. I should know right away if its the buck I want." I have quite of bit of time to hunt this fall....It should only get better.

Below is the trail cam pic of the buck....

full-2-1920-undbow72910.jpg

Nice restraint - he's a dandy. Not sure if that buck would've been as lucky if he woud've come by me. grin He'll be a beauty next year if he makes it.

It's been warm. All the areas I hunt are lottery this year so I'm done until Ripley. My wife's got her tag though and we're going to head out Sunday evening after letting the woods calm down for a few weeks. Got the video camera all charged up & ready to go. Should be a good night if the wind's right. I heard Ian Leonard say temps in the 40's in the near future. Get the honey-do lists done this weekend and get ready to hit it hard next week!

High next weekend on Sunday the 17th, is it 75?

squirrels are starting to look tasty.

edit to add....

took the trail cutting machine out and cleared a ton of crunchy leaves off of

what used to be a beaten path. I couldn't step a foot down without alerting everything.

I did that yeaterday afternoon. By this afternoon you couldn't tell it,

as alot more leaves found their way to cover it all back up.

happy fall.