• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Joe Mauer and his home run

DTro

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Mauer plays outfield 1/2 the games, what do we do with Delmon? Oh I see that you wanted to trade Cuddy.. Delmon doesn't have the arm for right field.. If Kubel could play day in and day out like he has been, he would punch Cuddy's ticket right out of town for ya.. But probably not gonna happen.

Trade Morneau for some pitching and put Mauer at First.

Geez do you think he is fast enough to play left field? The only positions I could see him playing is 1st base or right field. I just look at how many runs Delmon could have prevented if he was a little quicker and more athletic last year.

Geez do you think he is fast enough to play left field? The only positions I could see him playing is 1st base or right field. I just look at how many runs Delmon could have prevented if he was a little quicker and more athletic last year.

Or how many more runs would have been driven in without cuddy in the lineup and there would be less pressure on delmon to carry the team

If Mauer plays outfield 1/2 the games, what do we do with Delmon? Oh I see that you wanted to trade Cuddy.. Delmon doesn't have the arm for right field.. If Kubel could play day in and day out like he has been, he would punch Cuddy's ticket right out of town for ya.. But probably not gonna happen.

Trade Morneau for some pitching and put Mauer at First.

huh?

Delmon has one of the best arms in the game

You didn't just go there did you? A JT video in the baseball forum??? And I thought the complaints about Delmon & the Twins were getting bad! Delmon doesn't even have the best arm on the team, let alone in all of baseball. Now he's on the DL with too much sand in his you know what.

haha its try half the people are crying about Mauer's contract its gonna cripple us blah blah its over and done with who cares cheer the twins on, Delmon is hurt/fat/weak arm guess what he plays for the twins so we should cheer him on when he returns, cuddy has a huge contract and isn't worth it, when Nishy comes back who do you want playing cuddy and his over paid contract or Casilla and his .179 batting average and no sign of every playing to any potential, ill take cuddy he has at least show sign of having a bat. maybe we should stop crying and start cheering GO TWINS (down 7-0 right now)

Every single game I have watched of the Twins this year, they lost frown . Kinda makes me not want to watch them anymore. I am not a band wagon fan (for the Twins), but I also am not going to watch the garbage they keep putting up their this year.

Would you naysayers actually rather have 3-4 average players than one elite player? Really? Guess what, you dont win championships with average players. Might not with Joe either, but I darn well know that you dont with roster full of .270/10/60 type players.

With all the holes the Twins have this year, 3 or 4 average players would be a step up from the team full of below average players that have been taking the field. But to answer your question, I would have rather seen 2 above average players that will play 150 or more games a season each rather than putting all their eggs into one basket and investing that much money in a player that you could never expect to play full-time no matter how healthy he remains.

Face it, Joe Mauer is on this team because he makes money for the owners, not because he wins ball games.

If I remember correctly didn't Joe Mauer start the 2009 season on the DL for the first month and a half? And I think everyone knows how he finished the season after he came off the DL.

I'm also pretty sure we remember how the TEAM finished the season as well. Personal stats mean nothing, help win a ballgame now and then.

Everyone needs to remember a baseball season is 162 games long.

Exactly! Get back to me when Mauer plays a 162 game season.

The season is a roller coaster with many ups and downs. The Twins have played 21 games...everyone needs to chill out!

Also, I truly believe Mauer will not be the Twins starting catcher within the next two years. I think he will be moved to one of the corner outfield or infield positions. In my opinion they need him healthy and playing every day...not 3 out of 4 days.

A corner outfielder with no blazing speed, inconsistant power and injury prone for $23 mil? At least he's from Minnesota I guess!

its been said before it was loose loose, dont sign him and tick off half the state who alway say we let our big players go and dont sign big names, also by signing him we had to lock him in for a big number and risk his health and the toughest position in baseball. Give it a rest.

its been said before it was loose loose, dont sign him and tick off half the state who alway say we let our big players go and dont sign big names, also by signing him we had to lock him in for a big number and risk his health and the toughest position in baseball. Give it a rest.

agree. we'll never know but I suspect the message boards would have been lit up big time had they let him go to another team. The injury deal definitely clouds things up now but as we all know hindsight is 20/20.

Big Dave me and you were the anti mauer a year or 2 ago, don't mind we signed him but give him Mourneau like money as he was a MVP also. I agree it almost sucks he's from MN, that's why he gets a pass after catching a 3 inning minor league game and says he's really sore and very fatigued. I'd be sore also looking at the twins being in the tank record wise. Sad part is most years it's proven you don't need a stud hitting catcher, you need a good defensive catcher who can deliver a big rip on occassion. Every year I see the "Molina" brothers trying to win it all, it's just frustrating really, Joe should be in his prime years, he's lucky he went the baseball route because he would be hamburger "if" he would've been a football QB. Bet he misses row 1 in left field in the metrodome where 50% of his jacks landed, I bet he's eyeing that DH role already thinking Thome's about done so, just kidding, just frustrating, very frustrating.

I think Ben Revere is going to be replacing Span in center and at the lead off spot come next year. Revere reminds me a lot of span. Hits for average, great speed, elite defense and doesn't have much power. What sets him apart is he is a great base runner and doesn't strikeout as much as span.

I think Revere's stats are misleading. The local paper today pointed out this today :

Quote:
Revere has 23 total bases on 22 hits, and that utter lack of pop will make it hard for him to pick up many walks, meaning he's going to have to hit at least .330 to make an impact on offense. He's a lot like Jason Tyner, whose nice-looking batting averages always made him seem better than he was.

Hes got a great glove and can run down balls but he also has a weak arm. It nice to see him fill in for span yes, but I dont think he will cut it. (But I hope I am wrong)

i don't think revere is a major league starter, at least not on a top tier team. however, he has great value as a fourth outfielder, late inning runner, late inning defense kind of a player.

but, to say

Quote:
he's going to have to hit at least .330 to make an impact on offense.
is borderline insane.

Defense in centerfield is VERY important. And for this reason, I can see Revere being a starter on any major league team. He does not hit for power at all, but a .300 hitter who plays great defense and runs the bases well will always find a spot on a major league roster.

That said, move him from centerfield, and his value diminishes greatly. He would be a super 4th outfielder, but I do not mind him starting in center and hitting in the 2 or 9 hole one bit. The guy can flat out fly and the defense we have seen from him in the outfield so far makes a good fielder in Span, look marginal.

Span will be in center field IMO. Revere with his weak arm can be hidden in left-field. I don't get to wound up in a short window of moderate success as we've already seen with Danny V. So the book is still out on Revere who I envision to be an average player at best in the future. He is fun to watch for sure///