• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Joe Mauer and his home run

DTro

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'd like to see Revere (or about anybody else) replace Span in centerfield. Span is average at best defensively and below average on the basepaths. I'm not talking about speed. Span (along with Casilla and Young to name a few) just don't have the baseball sense of a good baserunner.

Pier, you don't build a lineup with light hitting corner outfielders. That is where your pop has to come from as it is one of the easier positions to play. Pop on the corners, speed and D up the middle.

Mauer will be or at least should be our left fielder anyway.

Personally, I'd like to see Revere (or about anybody else) replace Span in centerfield. Span is average at best defensively and below average on the basepaths. I'm not talking about speed. Span (along with Casilla and Young to name a few) just don't have the baseball sense of a good baserunner.

Ben Revere has the weakest arm of any outfielder I've seen in the past 20 years. It's wonderful that he covers a lot of ground and seems to have a good glove, but good Lord...did you see how Texas ran on him every single time they had a chance? Teams are going first-to-third on him when he's playing LEFT FIELD!

I agree 100% about Span's low basepath IQ though...between him and Cuddyer, I can't believe the [PoorWordUsage] plays they make on the bases.

Speedy leadoff hitters typically don't hit for power. Their job is to get on base, have the #2 hitter move them into scoring position (or use their speed to steal a base) and then have the cleanup hitters get them home. Luis Castillo never hit for power either, but he was our leadoff hitter for a lot of his time here in MN.

Idealy, Revere would be a 4th OF, used for giving guys days off, pinch running late in games (for slow guys like Thome and Delmon), and filling in during injuries. However, Cuddy is a free agent after this year and who knows if Delmon gets traded or if his defense will get so bad that we have to get him out of the OF next year. I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a lot more of Revere next year

granted I'm not a baseball theorist, but I have always wondered about the importance of leadoff and cleanup hitters. Seems that the leadoff and cleanup batters would only hold true for the first inning and then it's pretty random as far as who needs to get on base and who needs to drive them in. I can understand putting good hitters back to back, but I guess I don't think it would matter if these guys were 1,2,3, and 4 or 5, 6, 7, and 8.

Joe Mauer

BA - .241

Games - 20

HRs - 0

RBI - 7

OBP - .289

Salary - $23,000,000.00

how long do we have to see you and your pitty party about this?

The Twins obviously run this team as a business (who wouldn't). They made a business decision to sign Mauer for what they did. Its only 1yr into his deal and obviously his numbers on field aren't great, but the ticket sales, merchandise, etc etc probably yield a pretty good ROI for the Twins.

I dont like Mauer's numbers any more then you do, but its makes sense from a business aspect for the Twins to have signed him end of story.

Your beating a dead horse here....

Still with ya Big Dave, business aspect, the new stadium is selling out whether he was in florida rehabbing or not. If he were from Texas rundrave you'd be with us. 1 sheet of plexiglass in the dome in left field or he would've got half the contract, he's gutless in my book meaning he should be turning on that soft 90 mph down the middle every at bat and he takes it(first pitch), we aint giving him 23 million a year to take that pitch anymore, sure aint helping him much. But, I do have faith, but it's dwindling.

1 last Mauer slam he makes what the bottom 16 twins make combined per season that are in the same dugout as he. Did anyone see Torii Hunter's 1st at bat off the DL first pitch he saw, 450 foot blast. Joe and his hot hitting eye finally friday night had his first 3 hit game of the season. All I know is if he's up and I'm seated in any home run potential area I'm taking off my glove. I know it isn't all about jacks but I'd rather have Mark Teixeira receiving his 23 mill here in Minnesota. Pressure of big money, no dome, bilateral leg weakness, and now he's got hot chick issues. Hence how he got bilateral leg weakness.

how long do we have to see you and your pitty party about this?

The Twins obviously run this team as a business (who wouldn't). They made a business decision to sign Mauer for what they did. Its only 1yr into his deal and obviously his numbers on field aren't great, but the ticket sales, merchandise, etc etc probably yield a pretty good ROI for the Twins.

I dont like Mauer's numbers any more then you do, but its makes sense from a business aspect for the Twins to have signed him end of story.

Your beating a dead horse here....

Are you a fan of the Twins to watch them make money or to watch them win games? I would rather my favorite team pick it's players based on play in the field not jersey sales or place of birth.

The ROI is coming from the new stadium right now, not Joe Mauers rediculous contract. Who would buy tickets a month or more in advance with the hope that Mauer will actually be in the line-up?

With ya again Big Dave deuce, 93 AB's, 9 runs, 7 RBI's ranks 48th at the catcher position and a foul tip in the shoulder and he's out today, I caught 26 years myself, sure not at that level, my coach would've called me a sissy bigtime, I know it's way way different, but can't DH today or maybe pinch hit or run, just saying 48th at catcher not that he won't move up but what would the NYY say if they would've handed him 184mill ? A mafia man may have been in an alley and like Usama, not to many 6'6" catchers out there. JK but he's a foul tip away from shutting er down for season, in fantasy baseball you never take a catcher high because of injury risk, a thicker Wilson Ramos battering ram looks better to me.

Mauer needs to shell out 100K for a personal trainer and get his body physically fit to endure a baseball season. I doubt he's ever seen the inside of a weight-room...looking at his arms/shoulders when he comes up to plate is proof of that.

Mauer needs to shell out 100K for a personal trainer and get his body physically fit to endure a baseball season. I doubt he's ever seen the inside of a weight-room...looking at his arms/shoulders when he comes up to plate is proof of that.

Huh?

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but it has been bothering me for a while now... when Mauer does play and he just holds on to the ball when the other team steals. I understand that if he thinks he doesn't have a play, he holds on to the ball....that is what we teach little leaguers, (don't throw the ball around and let the other team take free bases). But for 23 mil per year, make an effort and who knows, maybe you will even throw a guy out once in a while.

Sorry for the rant and I know its being petty but that is what we as fans do isn't it? Anyway, is it just me that really gets irked by this? Is anyone else with me on this?

With ya Dylan, you know how they talk about the 5 tool players, 1 of those abilities is running so he was at best a 4 tool player paid like a shoe in hall of famer. Where's Terry Ryan, this Billy not a goaltender Smith is a bozo. T Ryan knew hey 1 big year doesn't guarantee that kind of year for life. Remember the Johan Santana tears many dropped,how's he been since MN ? Speed average, Strength average likely because of height, leadership unknown, he's fairly mild and quiet humble, think some of that 23 mill is well he's not a steroid risk or has any character flaws, the big boys NYY will buy him so lets gamble a bit. I agree when he was at his best behind the plate he makes our team 10x better, but are we going to see that again outside of the metrodome ? I played in the dome some and you couldn't ask for better hitting conditions, everything was so true, no wind, great background to see the ball, short fences, high choppers were hits, ball zipped through the infield, people lose the ball in the baggy, AC cranking out toward the outfield when the twins batted, no sun on defense, less foul ground I think, gappers made it all the way to the wall, it was easily the best hitting park I ever played in by far. Now we have 272 million tied into 2 first baseman, bye bye Justin Morneau and his new home my brother in law built for him. My friends chewed me out up and down when I said sell the M & M boys for Jay Bruce and Joey Votto 2 years ago, they murdered me, I said in Minnesota you have to learn when something sounds to good to be true it usually is except in 1987 and 1991 Twin squads.