• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Joe Mauer and his home run

DTro

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is the fact that Mauer's contract will be the death of the Twins organization that I was AMENing.

Everybody always says that outfielders that hit near .300 with power are a dime a dozen. If that is the case, why then wouldn't you rather stick 23 mil a year into 3 outfielders that will bat .300 with power instead of 1 catcher who may bat .320 with inconsistant power and will play less games per year than any outfielder would?

the math makes sense except you won't find three outfielders that hit for .300 and with power that you can sign for that kind of money. that's basically what the team has right now for salary for the three outfielders.

When you look at them both, and take away Joes 1 great year, they have pretty similar stats in the only 2 that count (runs batted in and runs scored). Not saying he isn't a good guy to have but to me he is average. Funny how some of these guys have standout years when it is time to sign contrats. I think they should have performance based pay in sports. 1 million for signing, 1 million if batting over .300, 1 million for every 10 homeruns etc....

I think they should have performance based pay in sports. 1 million for signing, 1 million if batting over .300, 1 million for every 10 homeruns etc....

There are plenty of "incentive" bonuses in players' contracts, but I am a fan of the idea that there should be MORE incentive bonuses with less up front money. Mandatory, regular testing for performance enhancers would have to accompany any such contract for any player.

silly Twins... what were they thinking... going out and signing one of the best players at his position in baseball to a long term contract during his prime.... they should go back to the days of $30Mil payroll and being the cheapest team in baseball

silly Twins... what were they thinking... going out and signing one of the best players at his position in baseball to a long term contract during his prime.... they should go back to the days of $30Mil payroll and being the cheapest team in baseball

They would probably win the same amount of World Series chamionships either way.

In the scorecard it's still a strikeout.

at least they are making an attempt... would you rather see them go back to the days of being in the lowest 5% of the league in payroll? Because that is what it sounds like to me.... God forbid the Twins went out and actually signed a big time player to a big time contract, something many of you have been complaining for years that the Twins have never done...

Funny thing is, I'd bet those of you complaining about the Mauer contract are the same ones that would be whining if the Twins let his contract expire and Mauer went into free agency and signed with the Yanks. Similar to the Johan fiasco

Those of you opposed to the Twins giving Mauer that contract, let me ask you this... How many of you were in favor of shipping Ramos to Washington last year?

Would you naysayers actually rather have 3-4 average players than one elite player? Really? Guess what, you dont win championships with average players. Might not with Joe either, but I darn well know that you dont with roster full of .270/10/60 type players.

Would you naysayers actually rather have 3-4 average players than one elite player? Really? Guess what, you dont win championships with average players. Might not with Joe either, but I darn well know that you dont with roster full of .270/10/60 type players.

Exactly! And I like how everyone is writing off Joe and his contract THREE weeks into the first season. Geez. Talk about a tough crowd to please. God forbid a play gets hurt, burn him [and the organization] at the stake.

I commend the Twins for taking a step in the right direction [ie not letting his contract expire and let Joe test the Free Agent waters] for puting together a franchise that actually has a chance of advancing in the playoffs. Maybe they didn't do it last year, and maybe they won't do it this year, but I laugh at someone who says the Twins have a better chance at doing so without Joe Mauer than with him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... No one is forcing you to be a Twins fan and if you don't like the show, CHANGE THE CHANNEL (literally and figuratively of course)

Exactly! And I like how everyone is writing off Joe and his contract THREE weeks into the first season. Geez. Talk about a tough crowd to please. God forbid a play gets hurt, burn him [and the organization] at the stake.

I commend the Twins for taking a step in the right direction [ie not letting his contract expire and let Joe test the Free Agent waters] for puting together a franchise that actually has a chance of advancing in the playoffs. Maybe they didn't do it last year, and maybe they won't do it this year, but I laugh at someone who says the Twins have a better chance at doing so without Joe Mauer than with him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... No one is forcing you to be a Twins fan and if you don't like the show, CHANGE THE CHANNEL (literally and figuratively of course)

I agree 100%!!!! The same people who are down on Joe and the Twins for this deal would be screaming twice as loud if they'd have let him go.

If I remember correctly didn't Joe Mauer start the 2009 season on the DL for the first month and a half? And I think everyone knows how he finished the season after he came off the DL.

Everyone needs to remember a baseball season is 162 games long. The season is a roller coaster with many ups and downs. The Twins have played 21 games...everyone needs to chill out!

Also, I truly believe Mauer will not be the Twins starting catcher within the next two years. I think he will be moved to one of the corner outfield or infield positions. In my opinion they need him healthy and playing every day...not 3 out of 4 days.

luckyworm, GREAT reference to the 2009 season! you bring up a great point. he is 1.7% into his new contract (23 games into a 8 season contract) and people are already writing him and the Twins off... Minnesota might have the most fair weather fans out of any state/franchise