• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008 Channel Cat Pictures

DTro

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
And how could you tell it was a male?

After a few thousand, you can tell pretty easily... before and during the spawn, males will develop a broader head and thicker mouth. also, the males will usually be darker, almost black. Females will be lighter colored and will start to appear pink, becoming more pronounced as the spawn progresses.

If you're still unsure, the females will also have 2 openings (you have to open the urogenital pore... eek) , males will only have one (I REAAAALLLY don't need to know THAT badly sick).

According to ichthyologists (in nerd-speak tired)...

"-Catfish are sexed by looking at the genitals. Two openings are present on the belly (ventral) side of the catfish: the anus and the genital opening. The opening toward the head is the anus, while that toward the tail is the genital opening.

-Male catfish have a genital opening that is raised and nipple-like in appearance.

- Female catfish have a genital opening that is rounded and flat. Immediately before spawning, the female

genital opening may be swollen and reddish with folds of skin appearing on each side."

Like I said, stick with the coloration & the size of the head and jaws wink.

Here's a female...

100_1006.jpg

Very interesting topcat. I appreciate the info.

Here's another pic from this morning. Got 5 cats between 10 and 14 pounds. Towards the end, had one rod go off and was reeling it in when my second went off. Lucky for me a fellow down the way was kind enough to reel it in. First true double of the spring. Nice chunky buggers, too.

IMG_1233.jpg

Wow, that first one is a HOG Dtro!!! Not that the second is small, but the definate back bend says PIGGY! Nice! I don't think I will be able to touch the board til after I get back from Canada June 9th, but then I will see if I can put some numbers up!!!

Are we throwing up our best ever's or 2008 Cat photo's?

Maybe start a separate topic for Personal Best Channel Cats and a separate topic for Personal Best Flathead Cats. Could be interesting... eh?