• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fixed or Mechanical

I have shot alot of different broadheads in the last 35 years.I have had good luck with some and others not.

My personal preference for the last 10 years has gone to Muzzys. smile.gifIf I hit the deer well,the blood trail is very good,not a good hit, shocked.gifpoor blood trail no matter what broadhead you are using.

I have tried expandable ones and have had problems with the blades opening up.Last year my son shot a doe and one blade never opened.He will be shooting fixed this year.

I dont believe there is one broadhead out there that will make up for a bad shot,and still get a good blood trail.Pratice,pratice,and more pratice.

I shoot Muzzys for several reasons

1-never fail me,always are open.

2-they fly well with my bow.

3-If I hit the animal well,its leaves a trail that I can follow.

4-you get pratice blades with your new broadheads.

This is what has worked for me in the last 10 years.

The best mechinal heads ive used are the NAP spitfire 3 blade.One of the things I dont care for with these is if the broadhead hits the dirt(which it will)I have a heck of a time cleaning things out so the blades go back in. frown.gif

I like fixed blades and I prefer Muzzy's bad to the bone in my opinion! As far as mechanical blades I know of some serious bow-hunters who have said some good things and some bad things about them. Some people prefer them and they do have advantages. I personally have stayed with fixed baldes because of there dependability.

Fixed blade all the way for me. I use a small profile 100 grain 3 blade, flies just lke my field tips without the worry of a mechanical failure on impact. Shot Muzzy for years and still love them. Just couldn't get the proper flight with my new arrows, arrow shaft was smaller than the base of the muzzy broadhead, threw off the flight. They were awesome on alum. though.

I prefer fixed blade and have shot Rockey Mountain Titanium 100's for years. I can't believe how expensive they are now compared to when I started shooting them!

I prefer fixed because I've found that if I have the proper arrow spline and take half and hour to paper tune my bow before I put my broad heads on, then I get good arrow flight with my broadheads.

People seem to prefer mechanicals cause the fly better. But with a little bit of paper tuning I think fixed bladed heads will fly just as good. Then with a fixed bladed head you don't have to worry about the broadhead not opening up.

Just my $.02 worth.

I've had good luck with my fixed blade Thunderheads and I'm going to stick with them. They fly good out of my bow and my rule is to replace the blades anytime they hit the ground and the Thunderheads allow me to do that. Plus broadheads are expensive, I'm not going to buy a bunch of broadheads when my Thunderheads do just fine.

I'm a big fan of mechanical blades. I firmly believe most claims of the problems of mechanicals are unfounded exaggerated. There definitely are some mechanicals that are notorious for problems. Some are great though. I've used Steelheads for several years and had no problem. Also, I hunt in Western ND a fair amount and the wind REALLY blows here. Fixed broadheads are much more impacted by wind than mechanicals.

All that being said, LH hit the nail on the head above- put it where it matters and which broadhead you're using is irrelevant. Put in a bad spot and brand name and model is irrelevant too.

I've been a fan of Muzzy's for years, but after the end of last season I purchased a new bow and I decided at that time to give expendables a try. I bought four different brands, three expendables and one fixed blade. Rocky Xtreme, Rocket Steelhead, Wasp Jak-Hammer and a set of Slick Tricks. I'm going to shoot them all this summer to do some comparison. I'm sure the fixed blades will all shoot great, but I'm hoping the Slick Tricks perform well also.

Thunderheads have always done fine by me, so I've never had a reason to switch.

Placement is everything.....just about anyway. If the mechanical fails to open, or open properly, the best shot in the world is going to yield little blood. I agree with Scoot, that most of these stories are pure worry/concern rather than actual events like Lee Harvey's instance. However, I think it was Gary Clancy that wrote something to the effect of "why risk what could be the buck of a lifetime to a product that performs well 'just about every time,' or even 'almost always.'" If it happens once, and that time happens to be with your dream deer, well, that's one time too many.

Just my 2 cents.

Joel

Joel,

I agree. Two things though- I've had flawless performance with my Steelheads- shouldn't I stick with them using your rationalle? Also, there are plenty of fixed broadheads that have been anything but perfect. I can think of a number of fixed broadheads I've used over the years that I was generally unhappy with. Another thing that I firmly believe is that despite the reports that a blade didn't open, the vast, vast majority of times it likely did open and reshut when it was pulled through the deer, was dragged on the ground, or hit a tree.

My biggest concern is that a broadhead hits exactly the same as my practice point and that it's sharp. I'm happy with my choice in broadhead for those two reasons. However, if people are generally happy with their fixed broadheads, I'd suggest they continue to use them until they find a reason to switch.

Poor blood trails are not to blame on fixed heads. I can't imagine that a mech would do any better. Not to mention there are so many variables to getting a good blood trail. I shot a deer at 15yds this year with a .30-30 and didn't get blood for the first 30 yds of the run. She went down in less than 50yds but I didn't get blood for a long time. My shoot was at a level plane and the cavity filled up before the blood starting coming out. It was a perfect shot that left me wondering if I hit her.

Anyway, back to what I prefer. I use the Magnus Stinger 4-blade, a fixed blade BH. They flew extremely well and made such a mess from my deer running. The carnage was amazing, chainsaw massacre-like. I just had a good shot where the exit hole was in the bottom of the cavity, all the blood came right out.I would say its a lucky shot but that would ruin the mystique.

Ive shot a lot of muzzys, I dont think you can go wrong with them. However, this year I switched to one called the "Slicktrick" they are a smaller broadhead, however the cutting diameter is just as big, it is kind of like a Rocky Moutain BH, but I think I like the slick tricks the best of what ive shot.

I've always been a Thunderhead guy & like jnelson have no reason to change. I've had deer that were hard to trail & deer that a little kid could follow. It's almost entirely relate to shot placement, along with how low it exits. If you shoot a deer in tall green alfalfa & you don't see it go down I hope you know exactly where it left the field, because it's very difficult to bloodtrail there no matter how good the trail is. Sometimes a perfect hit with steeper angle simple exits through too much tallow & they don't bleed well. I shot a doe last year, double lunger at 7 yards, heard her crash within 70-80 yards withing probably 5 seconds. I had a terrible time trailing her. It was thick brush, so I couldn't see her, but I knew she was toast. I don't think a different broadhead would have done anything. Entrance was high, exit was low.

For me, I have to go with fixed blade. I heard that some mechanicals don't open if you shoot at deers angling away and they aren't as durable as the fixed. Right now, I'm shooting libery heads 100gr by american broadheads, they are very durable and they cut on impact,plus they fly like darts.

I WENT FROM BEAR RAZORS TO SNUFFERS AND THUNDERHEAD. THE THUNDERHEAD FLY GREAT FOR ME. AND THEIR SHARP. WHEN PULLING BACK ON A BUCK I DONT WANT THINK ABOUT ANYTHING BUT HITTING THE SPOT. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR EXPANDABLES. DLK.

I have had great performance from the muzzy's so will not fix whats not broke. The tracking for starts well I'm still observering the deer go. As it moves away I am picking out land marks it passes and puting into memory the last good landmark I saw it at.If the trail is difficult this gives several places you can consintrate on looking for sign becase you know it past through there.